Adapted lens & viewfinder brightness

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Lew, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    I'm looking at the new GH3 and using some of my old, Leica screw mount lenses via an adapter. Since this means I'll be in manual mode, I'm wondering if the viewfinder can maintain a constant brightness level as the lens is stopped down.

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    The viewfinder compensates to a degree. I haven't noticed any issues to about f8-11, but stopping way down will make it darker. It also overloads the screen for a second if I go up too quickly (f.56->f1.7 at once). It then "recalibrates" and sets it to where it should be. I have tended to use the preview button in manual to get an accurate idea of what the final picture should be, since the viewfinder can be decieving. All of this is based on my G3, but can't imagine the GH3 being much different.

3. Rockinggoose

Rockinggoose Mu-43 Regular

I don't know about the GH3 but on my E-M5 I often use a Lensbaby Scout with a fixed aperture of f11 or f16 and the EVF will exhibit the brightness commensurate with the exposure selected. This enables me to assign a dial to exposure compensation and adjust to provide the desired image in the EVF. I have tried this with f22 as well and it still works.

David

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You can simply go old school. Open the lens fully and set your focus and composition and then stop down and take the shot. If you have an old pre-set type lens it makes this easier. They have two dials for the aperture. A standard one that you set your aperture and then a second one that allows you to open it up to focus then simply rotate it back for the aperture you "pre-set" it to.

Some EVF have a brightness adjustment that allows you to see a bit brighter than it actually is{they tend to have noise however}.