Adapted Lens Suggestion - Long Telephoto

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by s0nus, Jun 14, 2012.

1. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010

I'm looking for a long telephoto adapted lens, something with significantly more reach than the 150mm I can accomplish with my native m43 lenses.

I'd like to spend around $100, but will spend more if there is something particularly interesting. I would also prefer a zoom lens instead of a long prime.

Is there any "sleeper" legacy lens out there that is sharper than most and can be had for cheap? Maybe a lens system with a teleconverter for added flexibility?

I would appreciate the community's suggestions!
  2. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    Tamron 70-210 or 60-300

Two of my favorite manual focus zooms are:
    - Tamron Adaptall 70-210mm f3.5 constant aperture lens
    - Tamron Adaptall 60-300mm f3.8-5.4, which is a bit slower, but longer.

Each is available in your price range, and both are remarkably sharp and contrasty. They are also fairly easy to handle, with smooth focus action and good close focus capabilities.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    First question: do you have a preference as to the mount? Do you already have an adapter you'd like to use?

Second question: is there some subject in particular that you are planning to photograph? Birds, wildlife, the hottie in the apartment across the street... If you can give us some more detail about what you want it use it for (if you know) you're likely to get more targeted advice.

Without knowing the answer to either of these questions, my default suggestion is the Tokina AT-X 100-300mm f/4. If you pair this with a 1.4x teleconverter, it turns into a 140-420mm f/5.6 lens. That's a lot of reach, particularly when you factor in the :43: crop factor. You're obviously going to want to have a decent tripod.

It might be difficult to find one of these for under US$100, but if you keep your eyes open it can be done.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions. I lean towards the 60-300mm focal range for the longer reach. I'll be trying to find that lens!

My default use for this would be to shoot wildlife, as I got my own hottie that agrees to sleep in the same bed as me. :wink:

I don't have a preference for a mount. I have FD, MD, and PK adapters, but none of them have tripod mounts on them, which I would need for a big lens like this.

I like the Tokina AT-X 100-300mm that you suggest, especially due to the built in tripod mount.

I Googled the lens, and found a review on Ken Rockwell's site suggesting that while this is an excellent lens, he prefers the Nikkor 100-300mm f/5.6 AI-s as it's sharper wide open, although it is a stop slower. Prices on eBay seem to be reasonable for both lenses.

Thanks for the suggestion!
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Perhaps the Minolta 300mm f/4.5 Tele-Rokkor might work? Not the most fantastic lens that can be bought, but it is good and cheap. Or how about the Vivitar Series 1 200mm f/3? A bit of a nicer lens, but still very affordable.

There's one I've got my eye on right now at the local camera exchange, a beat-up (unfortunately, used lenses in my area are always beat-up) old Canon FD 300mm f/2.8. The guy wants $700 for it, but I know I can always chew him down. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    Canon FD 300mm F2.8 is propably my favorite lens, and i got mine for about $350, in very nice condition, here´s the latest pic i took with it.
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    I really like my Minolta MD 70-210mm f4 lens. I bought mine for £30 and they are still readily available for similar reasonable prices. The great advantage of this lens is that it is capable of relatively close-focus, but it is also sharp wide open and across the whole zoom range and has pleasing bokeh.

<a href="" title="Dandelions and Periwinkle - 2 by the justified sinner, on Flickr">[​IMG]"500" height="376" alt="Dandelions and Periwinkle - 2"></a>

<a href="" title="Boat Ride 2 by the justified sinner, on Flickr">[​IMG]"500" height="375" alt="Boat Ride 2"></a>

<a href="" title="George IV by the justified sinner, on Flickr">[​IMG]"500" height="376" alt="George IV"></a>
    • Like Like x 1
  8. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    You can buy a brand new like Vivitar series1 70-210mm constant f3.5 or f2.8 for about 50eur. These lens were premium lens, designed by computer and built by kiron, Schneider and others. They were more expensive than Nikon or Canon lenses and made for every possible mount.
    If you want top quality lens for an affordable price you can also get a SMC Takumar 4/200.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Of the longer telephotos I've tried I like the Konica Hexanon 200/3.5 and Super Takumar 200/4 (which is amazingly small). Of course I sold both when I got my P45-200.

As for "sleeper" lens...probably the Kiron made version if the Vivitar 70-210...also does macro
    • Like Like x 1
  10. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    Madison, WI
    I had the Hexanon 200mm as well and although it was great I sold it thinking I wouldn't use it enough. Of course now whenever I'm using the 135mm and it's not enough reach I kick myself... :mad:
    • Like Like x 1