adapted lens problems

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by aznmochamike, May 18, 2011.

1. aznmochamike

aznmochamike Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2011
    California
    does anyone take pictures with adapted lens and gets pictures that arent vivid?... i have to take them and post process them to get the lighting that i want... can anyone help me with it if it is possible... thanks

2. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Can you tell more about your specific lens(es)?

Could you also post a photo, stariaght out of camera JPEG before processing?

3. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    I've read in other threads about problems with stray light at larger apertures. I don't know the physics of it, but I believe my Minolta 50 1.7 seems to lose more contrast wide open than I remember it losing. It is certainly far less contrasty than the native 20mm 1.7, but that's in part a testament to the 20mm.

4. aznmochamike

Jan 4, 2011
    California
    I'm actually in class right now so i can't post any pictures but i was using the rokkor 58 1.2... ill post some pictures of it when i get home... there is just less contrast so i dont understand why and cant fix it until i post process

5. MegaPixelTravel

MegaPixelTravel Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    If you don't have a lens hood on your lens you potentially will wash out your photos from errant light.

6. aznmochamike: Ever since I got a m43 with its ability to use different lenes, I've been a lens-changing fool. I've been using two Takumars, two Hexanons and a pair of Pentax 110s. I've been getting lots of strange results but I think I'm homing in on some answers.

The first issue is that I've been using my Pentax 1.4/50 for low light conditions that really should have a flash. This means that I'm pushing the ISO to 1600 and focusing at wide open. The depth of field is about a nanometer. So, most of the image is out of focus, the image is a bit fuzzy and the contrast is bad (due to generally poor lighting). You can see a whole bunch of samples at:https://picasaweb.google.com/homershannon/JerryAndDonnaHevernS25thWeddingAnniversary# There are a couple of Pentax 110 24mm shots thrown in, too.

However, I've done quite a bit of testing and I'm coming to the conclusion that if you are shooting in normal light, the 3rd party lenes are fine - just watch your focus. Here are some examples that work: https://picasaweb.google.com/homers...hkey=Gv1sRgCO_J2uWw4pSGNw#5605996629407623586 https://picasaweb.google.com/homers...hkey=Gv1sRgCO_J2uWw4pSGNw#5605996695190454626 https://picasaweb.google.com/homershannon/PlayinWithTheNewPanny#5601383337538928434

The difference is that these shots are taken at f4, or higher in good lighting. Also, I'm not shy in my PP about going in and brightening things up and adding some sharpening.

I think that with 3rd party lenes you need to expect that the images, out-of-the-camera, are not going to be perfect. You will need to dress them up a bit. The camera has no way of knowing what it is dealing with for a lens and nothing is optimized for the particulars of the lens in use. As for your images not being vivid, it could be the actual lens you are using. Some are sharper, more contrasty and colorful than others. If a little PP fixes the issues then the lens can be used. If not, find a different lens.

I think it's something you have to live with. But there a lots of lenses available and you can have a ball trying them all out!

7. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    If you use it at f/1.2 or f/1.4 I would expect very soft pictures. I don't know this lens from my own experience, but from what I see elsewhere I'd say that you have to stop down to at least f/2.8 to get better contrast and even then older Minolta lenses can be a bit flat. I use Adobe Camera Raw for postprocessing and I have a habit of bumping up the black slider to get more contrast when using Minolta lenses (and believe me, I have more than a few :smile:).

8. aznmochamike

Jan 4, 2011
    California
    ok thanks everyone... your input is very helpful because i thought i was doing something wrong and always getting so flat pictures that i had to PP... i dont mind doing it at all but just thought that there was something wrong with my lens... i actually love the narrow DOF and thats y i really wanted to keep using this lens for portaits

9. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    You should also take a look at the light value histogram while you're shooting. Sometimes you can adjust your exposure values to open up / boost the range and they'll look a bit more vivid.