Adapted lens like the Oly 75?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by crashwins, Jun 1, 2013.

1. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Before I shell out the $900 for the Oly 75 I thought it would be better to experiment with a non-native lens of that focal length. Anything out there with that focal length and aperture that would generate the same quality portrait shots (manual of course)? And, a $900 manual lens wouldn't really work either I guess :) Thanks!
  2. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    The Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 is probably your best bet in terms of price and quality. It won't be as sharp wide open (or even at f/1.8) as the Oly 75, but its a very good lens.

Most lenses around this focal length tend to be at least $200-$300 or so and only go up in price from there.
  3. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    The Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 lens is wonderful. I love mine. But it's not a great choice for times when you want AF, like for portraits (live subjects, obviously), where AF is very helpful to keep focus dead-on. We did without AF in portraiture for a very long time, but also had a lot of slightly soft focused images as well. Some like the look of soft focus in portraiture, though.

The crux of your situation is AF... you should think long and hard on whether the lack of AF might be bothersome to you. Over time the difference of a couple of hundred dollars probably will be long forgotten... but you will never forget that a legacy lens lacks AF, when you want it.
  4. BAPHA

BAPHA Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    Sorry I can't suggest any manual lenses but was wondering why $900? Olympus is selling reconditioned copies for $720 (currently out of stock, though).
    You could also score a used one for ~$750, more or less.
  5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Olympus OM 85 2.0 is what I've been using until I can afford autofocus. Handles well, size is surprisingly small, and was a sixth of the cost of the 75. A decent performer.
  6. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    I got the Voigtlander 75mm f/1.8 brand new for under $700.

I used it for a portrait once with the E-PM2 and am pretty happy with the results.

Shot wide open

Rena by Taz Spin, on Flickr

This is what it looks like on the camera.

Voigtlander 75mm f/1.8 by Taz Spin, on Flickr
  7. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    The bokeh from that Voigtlander is pretty harsh compared to the Oly. It's not that your photo is bad at all -- it's not. But I don't think that lens compares to the Oly.
  8. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Wow thanks! Especially intrigued by the Zeiss. Which model is this? Any shots from it or adapted to a m43 body?
  9. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I bought a Samyang 85mm f/1.4 and I'm slowly getting used to it! Here's what the lens looks like on the camera:

And here's a shot taken with the lens:

The lens is manual focus so it can be pretty hit or miss if you get a good shot or not. There is, however, something very satisfying when a shot does come out well! I'm hoping I'll get better at nailing the focus the more I use the lens. The large f/1.4 aperture has already come in handy and when used on a stabilised body it is amazing how little light you can get away with. I bought mine used for £200.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app
  10. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Thanks. Is this is Samyang for m43 or adapted?
  11. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I use Canon FD 85mm/1.8 which is very moderately priced and seems pretty good quality. I understand most major brands have 85/1.8 lenses that are pretty good.

some samples

12. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011

Yup, the Voigtlander lenses seem to render the out of focus areas a bit harsh!

I have a 50/1.1 as well, and it feels harsh as well.
  13. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Canon FD on an m43? Do you have to preset the aperture?
  14. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I had a nice copy of the canon FD 85/1.8 and I also picked up the Rokinon (Samyang, Bower, etc. same lens) 85/1.4. I did some fairly careful comparisons and the Rokinon was a much better lens in terms of sharpness (very clearly sharper) and bokeh (in my opinion better on the bokeh).

The canon 85 was a nice lens but I sold it because the Rokinon was superior in every way (except for size and weight).

To answer your question, to use either of these lenses, you set the aperture with the ring on the lens. You must manually focus and the camera does the rest. A view finder really helps a great deal here.

Manual focus eats up significant time and that is the main drawback of these lenses. You need a patient or static subject and extra time for you to focus. I wish I had the new 75/1.8 from olympus but I don't use this focal length enough to justify the expense.
  15. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I bought the Canon EOS mount variant with an adapter to go m43. The selection of EOS to m43 adapters is pretty poor though, so you might actually be better off going for the four thirds mount variant; at least you know that the Olympus and Panasonic adapters will be top quality.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app
  16. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I also have the Canon FD 85mm f1.8. It cost me $110. It's my cheap substitute for the 75mm.
  17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Samyang/Rokinon 85mm/1.4 is available in 4/3 mount. You will need a 4/3-to-m4/3 adapter, but will have full compatibility although the lens is still Manual Focus and was never made with AF (at least not in 4/3 mount).

Here's another option to add to your list of comparisons, the Konica Hexanon 85mm/1.8:

18. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    I use a nice vintage Nikon 85 f2 via adapter, both together were under $150. Obviously not AF, but built like a tank and very easy to work with.

I've added two photos I took today that show what that lens can do on my EPL1. In-body IS-1 was activated and I made generous use of the zoom-in function to determine focus. The more I use this lens, the more I like it. :)

Attached Files:

19. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    I found an Oly 75, mint condition with box for $575. Good grab??
  20. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Absolutely, although it always depends upon the seller's definition of "mint".

Now if you care to tell me where you found it, I've got to be going. :wink:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Mu-43 mobile app