Adapted Lens Image Thread

kmcsmart

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Karen
Most vintage camera folks use Ronsinol or similar cigarette lighter fluid to remove and reclaim old grease. It will actually reconstitute the grease to a certain extent. Naphtha may or may not be an equivalent, I don't know. At least you got it, congrats!
Ronsinol is made with Naphtha. Apparently cigarette lighters under pressure use Butane and lighters like a Zippo use Naptha. In furniture making Naphtha is used as a dewaxer. You can use it to wipe down any cured finish to remove wax. I always have a gallon of it kicking around.

When I washed down the metal parts of my lens with Naphtha after polishing them it took the red paint out of the grooves but didn't touch the black paint. Interesting... Luckily it is easy enough to put the coloured paint back. I keep the solvents well away from any plastics just to be safe.

kmcsmart

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Karen
You mean that white flower looking thing? That looks like a light reflection in the photo. If it's not a reflection then it definitely looks like it grew there. Creepy.

See those two notches on the outer ring, one on each side of the lens? Those for a spanner wrench. I can't see the side of the lens enough to tell, but it could be that the outer ring unthreads from the lens barrel. These things can be disassembled, after all they had to put them together.

If you attempt to take it apart, go very slowly and note carefully which way the element(s) comes out. They could be flat, convex, or concave on either side. They must go back the same way.

You will have more luck cleaning these with isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips, especially when they get grease coated. Finish up with lens cleaner and a lens tissue.
Thanks for the info. The star like reflection is something in the glass. I tried hard to make it reflect in the light otherwise it didn't show up in my photos.

Here is the complete sequence of photos. The black cartridge came out of the lens barrel just like you described. It doesn't look like the black cartridge comes apart any further. There is a ring in the top of it but there are no notches on that ring. I tried (carefully) to make the un-notched ring move and it doesn't want to budge. Once side of the cartridge has a convex shape and the other concave. Even in good light with magnification I couldn't tell what the grouping of lenses are in the cartridge.

It will be interesting to see what affect it has on any photos.
_1070262.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
_1070265.jpg

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Beats me. Can you measure the depth of the lens from the bottom edge of the barrel to try and determine how thick that element may be? It might tell you if it's single or double. Another thing to try is a jeweler's loupe for a good look at the white creepy thing.

kmcsmart

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Karen
I am making my very first adapter using a C mount adapter as my starting point. I am not sure if all C mount adapters are the same profile or not. This is the only one I have.

From my calculations the red X, in the photo below, marks the plane for the C mount flange distance and the blue X marks the plane for the m4/3 flange distance. Is that correct? I want to be sure I am measuring from the right place to calculate the correct length of my adapter (M42 to M4/3) which should be 26.2mm.

There is also a tiny little screw on the m4/3 part of the adapter. Shown on the black adapter below. What is that tiny screw for? Is it used to snug up an adapter? If so how does it work?

I hope this is the correct place to be asking questions like this? I couldn't find another thread that I thought was appropriate.
Thanks

IMG_2013.jpg
IMG_2016.jpg

blumoon722

Mu-43 Veteran
Canon FD 35mm 1:2 S.S.C. on G7
Angel's trumpet
P1030669.JPG

richardp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
I am making my very first adapter using a C mount adapter as my starting point. I am not sure if all C mount adapters are the same profile or not. This is the only one I have.

From my calculations the red X, in the photo below, marks the plane for the C mount flange distance and the blue X marks the plane for the m4/3 flange distance. Is that correct? I want to be sure I am measuring from the right place to calculate the correct length of my adapter (M42 to M4/3) which should be 26.2mm.

There is also a tiny little screw on the m4/3 part of the adapter. Shown on the black adapter below. What is that tiny screw for? Is it used to snug up an adapter? If so how does it work?

I hope this is the correct place to be asking questions like this? I couldn't find another thread that I thought was appropriate.
Thanks

View attachment 887130 View attachment 887135
Hmm
I'm not sure you're going to get c mount experts looking at this thread very often. You had a discussion going on the Pentax auto110 70mm thread a while back, might be a better place to get feedback.

Glennn

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Glen
I came to a realization on my photo walk this morning. So far this year I've probably used my adapted lenses more then the native ones. Its at the point that I just refer to them as..... lenses. I may move away from this thread and post my images in threads of the appropriate topic as I dont generally like cross posting. Using the adapted lenses has forced me to pay much closer attention to focus and settings, and it has helped me quite a bit.

But in the meantime.
Sears 50mm F1.7.... and a cross post
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kYze7L]
51179677732_ef1c9f1bef_c.jpg
Manasquan Reservoir 5/15/21 by Glen Brenner, on Flickr[/URL]

Last edited:

ektar

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Admiral M42 200mm f3.5

Admiral200_5250066BW.jpg

Processed from .ORF via Silver Efex2 and PS Elements Shot @ f11

Glennn

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Glen
Sears 50mm f1.7
EFC460FC-1114-4824-BFF1-AFF2617363DF.jpeg

ektar

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Auto Rikenon "P" 28mm f2.8.

I don't know how good an image this is, but I keep looking at how well the lens reproduced the range of tones in the scene. I need to test it out on more critical subjects and also see how it does with colors, but this seems pretty sharp to me.

AutoRikenon28_5250105BW.jpg

Auto Rikenon 28/2.8 @ f5.6. B&W conversion via Silver Efex2 Pro.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
OM 200mm f4

Veronica "Tissington White"
2105-52 EM10:3-OM200.jpg

Peek-a-blue :D
Iris just popping theirs heads up over my fence.

2105-53 EM10:3-OM200.jpg

Hoffelijk

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jeroen
Oriental poppy

Oriental Poppy.jpg

Helios 44m-6 @8
Flickr

Latest threads

Top Bottom