Adapted Lens Image Thread

haunted scrap heap
The Jupiter11 135mm f/4 normally has a minimum focus distance of 2.5m but with a couple of extension tubes (10mm + 16mm) that comes down to about 50cm. Not quite the magnification Phil gets on the Rokkor unfortunately...
You probably don't want to try to get that much magnification with a 135mm using extension... especially one with such a large MFD. Something like a Raynox 150 would probably work better... or just use the tubes on a ahorter lens. :D

richardp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Thanks for your comments sparkle ?

I use the tubes on shorter lenses too - those generally have a shorter MFD to start with, and yes I get a very small MFD with tubes on. But the maximum focus distance also becomes pretty small, so the lens ends up so close to the subject it's blocking light and of course the dof is wafer thin too.

You can use tripods & rails, plus supplementary lights, to get round these problems. I was hoping that by starting with a long lens with a large MFD I might get a more portable solution, much like PhilH. If I'm missing something please let me know!

haunted scrap heap
I was hoping that by starting with a long lens with a large MFD I might get a more portable solution, much like PhilH. If I'm missing something please let me know!
There's a some discussion about cases where extension is and isn't a good solution in this thread: https://www.mu-43.com/threads/extension-ring-recommendations.97963/

That said, if you're the kind of monkey, like me, who needs to try things for themselves, well... a few more tubes won't cost you much. ;)

richardp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Thanks for the link.
Most of the discussion seemed to be based on modern lenses not old stuff like the Jupiter.
If I were serious about macro photography I could save up my pocket money and buy a macro lens for £300 or so. But where's the fun in that?
As you say, best to try for yourself so I've ordered more tubes, I'll report back when I get them.??

Last edited:

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Hi Richard, which ones have you gone for please?

I found this link that someone posted earlier very handy for calculating which combination of lens / extension tube / close-up lens, gave the most magnification and also new minimum focussing distance.

macro-extension-tubes-closeup.htm

richardp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Hi Brian
Thanks for the link, that confirms what I found...26mm extension tubes give you lots of magnification on a 28mm lens, not so much on 135mm!!!

If you're looking for a recommendation on tubes, the ones I have already are by Meike. They include connection for autofocus and work fine. I got mine from Amazon UK about three years ago but they don't sell them any more. You can get them from China via eBay.

This time round I've only ordered a cheapie with no electrical connection as I only want it for the Jupiter11

Last edited:

richardp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
I had a rummage at the back of the cupboard and got out my Industar26 (52mm f/2.8). Put on 26mm extension tubes, worked pretty well...practical working distance and dof.
P5090607.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Fading Troilus flower, insect of some sort lurking inside
P5090612.JPG

P5090614.JPG

Aphid caught in spider's web

Last edited:

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Panagor 90mm macro lens. Cross posted in the macro thread.
_5110734_DxO-01.jpg

_5110738_DxO-01.jpg

richardp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Pentax auto 110 24mm with close up lens...love the soft bokeh
P5120632.JPG

ektar

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
A few of the residents of the back porch, which is obviously not as tidy as @TNcasual's.

Spider_06.jpg

PotBird_010.jpg

PotGirlDetail_012.jpg

Micro-Nikkor 55/f3.5 @ f5.6 or f8

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro
This is what happens when you release the hoards of mindless idiots from lockdown. Less than 200 yards away there was an empty bin, It makes my blood boil :mad:

P5160124_DxO.jpg

Helios 44-2 with pinhole filter.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
49901217933_efe550677d_o.jpg

Kodak Cine 63mm 2.7

richardp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Another one with the Pentax Auto110 24mm and close up lens
P5160681.JPG

Zman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Meyer Optik Trioplan 100mm f2.8
oly051820_36_edited-1-adjust_edited-2.jpg

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
Meyer Optik Trioplan 100mm f2.8
View attachment 823563
That peculiar textured bokeh of a triplet, all rendered in an almost monochrome semi-abstract subject here, with a subtle 3-D effect.
Possibly not something of universal appeal but to those that appreciate it a confirmation that old glass still holds aesthetic value beyond the obsession of just sharpness.

Latest threads

Top Bottom