Adapted Lens Image Thread

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
@Roboticspro --The stealth is strong in you. Never seen a goose in repose, and I"ve never had any luck catching turtles lined up like that. I've seen 'em, but the thought of a camera has sent them splashing. Kudos.

@Roboticspro --The stealth is strong in you. Never seen a goose in repose, and I"ve never had any luck catching turtles lined up like that. I've seen 'em, but the thought of a camera has sent them splashing. Kudos.
Don,

Many thanks, the combination of one-arm paddling and manually focusing can be a bit of a stretch, but sometimes the planets do line up...:drinks:

I hope to be tracking the progress of this one and a couple of very pregnant doe's in my woodlands. Putting the FD lenses to good use is part of the fun,

Regards,

Edd

Real Name
Karen
I am cleaning up my newly acquired Cine-Kodak Telephoto 3"/4.5 but I am having trouble taking the focus ring (A) off the body of the lens (B). The focus ring spins freely and it seems like it will come off but then it jams. It is not a hard stop. I am not hitting a screw or anything like that. It just jams up as I am taking it off.

I screwed the focus ring all the way up against the aperture ring and brushed the threads that I can see with a brass brush to make sure they are clean and the threads look ok. I can't see any problem. I have put some light oil on the threads so the focus ring is moving freely.

I am pretty sure that part A should come off part B in the direction of my arrow. It just jams up before I can get it undone. I can't clean and lubricate the aperture ring until I get this part off. I haven't tried to force it (yet) with anything other than a good grip with my hands.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
_1070136.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
When unscrewing the ring, where does it jam up? Does it thread down to the end? Can you thread it to the point that the threads on the lens barrel extend above the focus ring, or does it stop turning before the threads are exposed?

Real Name
Karen
When unscrewing the ring, where does it jam up? Does it thread down to the end? Can you thread it to the point that the threads on the lens barrel extend above the focus ring, or does it stop turning before the threads are exposed?
The ring jams up before the threads on the lens barrel are exposed above the focus ring. At this point the ring is well over the threads at the bottom of the lens barrel. If I had to guess it looks like the ring is jamming as the top of the ring begins to enter the threads on the lens barrel.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Sounds like a built-in stop. Maybe the it's supposed to come off the front after removing the aperture ring?

What does the front of the lens look like? Are there slots or pinholes for a spanner wrench?

Real Name
John
Minolta MC Zoom Rokkor-X 100-500mm 1:8 on G7
P1030664.JPG

Real Name
Melissa
Good Morning,

Melissa (Web-betty), thank you for your kind words, most appreciated. My grand-daughter will be coming to visit me from Westminster, CO this summer, and I hope to share my love of nature and photography with her.

Regards,

Edd

Last edited:
Good Evening,

Today I was going through my "L" series zooms and I pulled out the FDn 100-300mm f5.6 (constant) L Macro zoom. My FD to m4/3rd's adapter has a tripod foot attachment which I use an "Arca-style" plate for easier hand-holding or mounting on the kayak while paddling. These were shot wide-open and the use of Fluorite and Ultra-Low Dispersion elements (as in the FDn 80-200mm f4 L) eliminates LoCA for all practical purposes.

Regards,

Edd

GuardingTheNest-2.jpg
The Rock-1.jpg
TurtleLine-3.jpg

Real Name
Karen
I am cleaning up my newly acquired Cine-Kodak Telephoto 3"/4.5 but I am having trouble taking the focus ring (A) off the body of the lens (B). The focus ring spins freely and it seems like it will come off but then it jams. It is not a hard stop. I am not hitting a screw or anything like that. It just jams up as I am taking it off.

I screwed the focus ring all the way up against the aperture ring and brushed the threads that I can see with a brass brush to make sure they are clean and the threads look ok. I can't see any problem. I have put some light oil on the threads so the focus ring is moving freely.

I am pretty sure that part A should come off part B in the direction of my arrow. It just jams up before I can get it undone. I can't clean and lubricate the aperture ring until I get this part off. I haven't tried to force it (yet) with anything other than a good grip with my hands.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
View attachment 884523
Ok, I found the problem. There was a bunch of old dry grease, that I couldn't see, at the top of the focus ring (A). I put a little naphtha on the top of the ring with a syringe and let it sit for a few minutes and I was able to force the ring off. @Brownie thanks for your help.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Ok, I found the problem. There was a bunch of old dry grease, that I couldn't see, at the top of the focus ring (A). I put a little naphtha on the top of the ring with a syringe and let it sit for a few minutes and I was able to force the ring off. @Brownie thanks for your help.
Most vintage camera folks use Ronsinol or similar cigarette lighter fluid to remove and reclaim old grease. It will actually reconstitute the grease to a certain extent. Naphtha may or may not be an equivalent, I don't know. At least you got it, congrats!

Real Name
Karen
This is the back lens from my Cine-Kodak Telephoto 3"/4.5. I tried cleaning the lens with peroxide but I wasn't able to remove this mark. I did have success using peroxide to remove a mark on the front lens. Is this fungus? I assume this is a grouping of lenses and the fungus is between them. It doesn't look like I can take the grouping apart. I am fine leaving it the way it is. I am just curious as to what is going on since this is my first go at restoring a lens.
_1070269.jpg

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
You mean that white flower looking thing? That looks like a light reflection in the photo. If it's not a reflection then it definitely looks like it grew there. Creepy.

See those two notches on the outer ring, one on each side of the lens? Those for a spanner wrench. I can't see the side of the lens enough to tell, but it could be that the outer ring unthreads from the lens barrel. These things can be disassembled, after all they had to put them together.

If you attempt to take it apart, go very slowly and note carefully which way the element(s) comes out. They could be flat, convex, or concave on either side. They must go back the same way.

You will have more luck cleaning these with isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips, especially when they get grease coated. Finish up with lens cleaner and a lens tissue.

Real Name
Karen
Most vintage camera folks use Ronsinol or similar cigarette lighter fluid to remove and reclaim old grease. It will actually reconstitute the grease to a certain extent. Naphtha may or may not be an equivalent, I don't know. At least you got it, congrats!
Ronsinol is made with Naphtha. Apparently cigarette lighters under pressure use Butane and lighters like a Zippo use Naptha. In furniture making Naphtha is used as a dewaxer. You can use it to wipe down any cured finish to remove wax. I always have a gallon of it kicking around.

When I washed down the metal parts of my lens with Naphtha after polishing them it took the red paint out of the grooves but didn't touch the black paint. Interesting... Luckily it is easy enough to put the coloured paint back. I keep the solvents well away from any plastics just to be safe.

Real Name
Karen
You mean that white flower looking thing? That looks like a light reflection in the photo. If it's not a reflection then it definitely looks like it grew there. Creepy.

See those two notches on the outer ring, one on each side of the lens? Those for a spanner wrench. I can't see the side of the lens enough to tell, but it could be that the outer ring unthreads from the lens barrel. These things can be disassembled, after all they had to put them together.

If you attempt to take it apart, go very slowly and note carefully which way the element(s) comes out. They could be flat, convex, or concave on either side. They must go back the same way.

You will have more luck cleaning these with isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips, especially when they get grease coated. Finish up with lens cleaner and a lens tissue.
Thanks for the info. The star like reflection is something in the glass. I tried hard to make it reflect in the light otherwise it didn't show up in my photos.

Here is the complete sequence of photos. The black cartridge came out of the lens barrel just like you described. It doesn't look like the black cartridge comes apart any further. There is a ring in the top of it but there are no notches on that ring. I tried (carefully) to make the un-notched ring move and it doesn't want to budge. Once side of the cartridge has a convex shape and the other concave. Even in good light with magnification I couldn't tell what the grouping of lenses are in the cartridge.

It will be interesting to see what affect it has on any photos.
_1070262.jpg
_1070265.jpg

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Beats me. Can you measure the depth of the lens from the bottom edge of the barrel to try and determine how thick that element may be? It might tell you if it's single or double. Another thing to try is a jeweler's loupe for a good look at the white creepy thing.

Good Afternoon,

Connecticut is starting to bloom after a long winter; windy but sunny and I'll take that! These were all taken with a Canon FDn 50mm f3.5 Macro (cap.1/2 L.S.) at f8 with the E-M10. BTW...Barry13 has one for sale right now, with extension tube(s) to get you real close.
SW-1.jpg
Blue-1.jpg
YF-1.jpg
WF-1.jpg

Regards,

Edd

Zman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Pentacon 50mm f1.8 wide open
omd050121_10_edited-4.jpg

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom