1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adapted lens for EPL1 Info

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by peeetah, Apr 3, 2011.

1. peeetah

peeetah New to Mu-43

Apr 3, 2011
    Hey guys,
    i've just got a few questions regarding adapted lens with the EPL1. sorry if its been asked many times!
    My questions are:
    Can i still autofocus?
    What features will i lose?
    What lens would you recommend?

my goal was to buy the panasonic 20mm pancake lens, but it costs $700 over here in australia so i've been looking into getting an adapted lens.

2. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    No autofocus for adapted lens unless u are using Olympus 43 lenses with mmf1/2. 43 lenses are Olympus and panasonic dslr lenses which will retain AF (some are slow).
    There's plethora of manual focus lenses (which u lose AF ):
    Legacy 35mm slr lenses, Olympus OM, pentax takumars, nikon nikkor Ai, canon FD, konica hexanon AR, minolta MD
    Smaller ones, half frame or smaller: pen f, pentax auto110,
    CCTV or cine lense usually in c mounts, s mount.

The 35mm are easily and can be had <100aud.
    U can look at some of the threads on the adapted lens sub forum. Happy searching.

u can also buy 20/1.7 from amazon , b&h. It shld cost <700, but u lose international warranty.

Happy searching!

3. peeetah

peeetah New to Mu-43

Apr 3, 2011
    sorry i didnt quite get your first sentence. so i can still auto focus as long as i get an olympus lens and use the MMF1?

4. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    Old lenses have a couple of advantages but 1 main draw back. On all adapted lenses you loose the autofocus. The only adapter that still has an AF ( but rather slow ) the 4/3 m4/3 adapter only the official one.

The quality of the optics is not comparable , you can get faster lenses that will give better results. Since i own a G1 i never used my AF lens i only shoot manual with it, the MF assist function is nearly as good as AF once you get the hang of it. and obviously pricing wise it is rather different :) old lenses cost next to nothing and still offer a level of performance that is highly respectable.

I test legacy lenses on my G1 so have a look:
    Ilia Koltsov - Micro 4/3 and legacy lenses

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Only if it is an Olympus (or Panasonic) 4/3 lens for the E system dslrs.

There are some good Olympus OM lenses from the film era but you will need a different adapter and they will be manual focus. Worth getting though and adapters are available on eBay.

6. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I just got into the micro-4/3 world about a month ago with a used E-PL1 and picked up a legacy lens (Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.8). You do not get autofocus. However, with a little practice it is simple to use the digital magnification button to fine-tune your focus point. You just push the little magnifying glass and it magnifies the image (between 7x and 14x), then adjust the focus, then push the button again to return to full frame and compose the shot. Now I just have to get faster at it for shooting street scenes!

If you search this board you will find lots of recommendations for cheap legacy 50mm lenses (Konica Hexanon, Canon FD, Minolta Rokkor-X, Olympus OM were the brands I saw a lot and decided to hunt out on the auction site). I think I paid about $50 total for my lens and adapter.

Another feature you will lose is that the camera doesn't record any metadata about the lens (focal length, the aperture you shot at, etc). One feature you keep is image stabilization (if you activate it in the menu and set it for the correct focal length of your adapted lens).

7. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    Well, you adapt something like the Zuiko 25mm F2.8, but by the time you pay for the adapter (that gives you all auto functions) it's usually about as expensive as the 'native' lens, which will likely focus faster.

If you're not in a rush though, legacy lenses are the way to go when you're on a budget.