1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adapted lens and reversing rings?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by phrenic, Jul 17, 2012.

1. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Hi folks,

I've been reading a little bit about the idea of the male-to-male reversing ring/coupler for macro usage. Has anyone tried this technique?

I was thinking it could be a fun use of my OM lenses.

In theory:

Camera==M43 to OM adapter==75-150mm lens==50mm mounted backwards.

Is this correct?

2. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    You can attach lenses directly with a "macro reverse mount" ($10 or less on ebay), I'm not sure why some people use 2 lenses stacked.. maybe for convenience (if one of them is a zoom), but quality-wise one reversed lens should give better images.

3. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I have tried several combinations, with mixed success. I have even disassembled some lenses, and used only the front element/elements. The biggest problem, is getting different magnifications, for different creature sizes, quickly. I dislike cropping to get good magnification. Using whole lenses, reversed makes a very large unyieldy combination. If you are doing something that gives time for setup, then this can give very good results. But for live action, I've about given it up. I do still have certain combinations that I like, and use. If you like experimenting, by all means go for it. It can be exciting. I am looking to buy a dedicated macro lens, for the quicker moving action.

4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Ah I think that is a more elegant solution..macro reverse mount is the term I needed to search for. I was wondering why I was only getting the M to M reversing rings. Thanks!

5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    So related question: should I just pick up the 49mm thread mount to match up with my OM lenses? (28mm 3.5/50mm 1.8/ 75-150mm f4)?

Seems like the logical choice for versatility. I also have a cheap FD 50mm 1.8 but can't think of any advantages (besides leaving it mounted like that as a permanent macro lens).

6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I often use this set-up.

M5 > OM/m43 adapter > OM extension tube > OM 49mm lens reverse adapter > 40.5mm to 49mm step-up ring > reversed Nikon EL 50/2.8 lens.
    The OM OM 49mm lens reverse adapter is getting hard to find, if you substitute the word Nikon in place of OM in all the above, you will find them very cheap and readily available.

Without extension tubes, you will not get much magnification.

7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I don't suppose you have any examples showing the magnification with and without the extension tube? I do have a set of OM extension tubes but they never seemed to lock right on both ends and they are collecting dust.

8. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
  9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Here's what the set-up looks like, I used the OM 65-116 Auto Extension Tube extended to 116mm. The photo was taken with 116mm extension, it's of the tiny bug on the stem of a stamen of a Day Lily. The photo is not cropped, so you can see you can get some good magnification. In real life, this bug could walk through an eye of a needle. If you used a 56mm extension tube, the image will be approx. 1/2 this size, and proportionally smaller with less extension.

10. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Wow that's some pretty close in macro! Thanks for sharing.

11. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Here's another one with the OM 65-116 Auto Extension Tube extended to 65mm.

• Like Like x 1