Adapted lens (24 mm-28mm) & 50mm please advice

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by sani, Apr 17, 2012.

1. sani

sani New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2012
    Need your advice please :confused:
    looking for a lens with nice character not gust sharp.

looking for the first 24-28 mm adapted lens
    what do you recomend between -any other choice?

nikon 28 2.8 ais - dose it worth the $$$ ?
    yasica 28 2.8 ML
    Nikon 24 2.8 N.C

I already got the nikon 50 1.4 looking for another 50 mm lens
    with different contrast and rendering

what do you recomend between -any other choice ?
    Konica 50 1.4
    konica 50 1.7
    Yashica 50 1.4
    yashica 50 1.9

Thank You
  2. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    I would not spend to much time (and money) finding a good vintage wide lens, since wide lens from that era are not as good or fast as modern wide lens and a good vintage wide lens will cost the same or more as a new lens. From the lens I have I would advice the Takumar 3.5/24 for it´s superb colors and good sharpness. The takumar 28/3.5 is much cheaper and very very sharp too but the colors from the 24 are outstanding!
    For a 50mm with a different look try the Russian uncoated lenses like the helios 40 or the pentacon 1.8/50, jupiter etc.
  3. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Try the Olympus OM 28mm f3.5, superb performer, very cheap and a cult classic.
  4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    I can only comment on what I have, or have tried, or have read about extensively.

1) 24mm: I have and love the Sigma Super-Wide II, 24mm f/2.8. It's big, of course, since it's a WA designed for 35mm, but it's quite sharp and doubles as a semi-macro lens. Really one of my favorite legacy lenses. The only other 24mm I've tried was the hugely well-regarded Oly OM 24mm f/2.8, which was OK but not as good as the Sigma (my copy at least). The Oly's smaller though.

2) 50mm. I've tried a bunch of them from Canon (FD and FL), Konica, Helios, Industar, Minolta, Pentax, and Zeiss. The only one I still have is the 50mm Yashica ML 50mm f/2. I've read it's better than the other 50mm Yashicas (f/1.7 and f/1.9). Mine is razor sharp, even at f/2, and just a dream to work with. Renders beautifully. IMO f/2 is plenty fast enough for portraits, which is what I usually use this lens with. Truth be told, I don't use it nearly enough these days since I got the native m43 Oly 45mm, but I just can't sell it--partly because I got it so cheaply.

EDIT: For a lens with very different rendering, check out the Helios 44 (58mm f/2). Here are some threads on the lens:
  5. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    I got one, and I think it's one of the lenses that do, as you put it, have a nice character. It's sharp and have a very nice (imho) bokeh, although different from portrait lenses. it focuses really close so I use it as a wide close-up lens, there a couple of samples here.
    However, if I didn't own it already I would probably be content with 20/1.7....
    Legacy wide angle are not that wide and not that fast. BTW, not sure what $$$ is, I got mine for ~$110 about 4 years ago.

Is it that bad? There are so many 50-ish/1.4 I doubt you can get an objective review of all, and 45/1.8 quickly makes them obsolete once again. I got Konica 57/1.4, but one of the main reasons was that I wanted something a bit longer than 50. Oh, well, my $0.02.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 is a fantastic, wonderfully sharp lens. However, for "different rendering and character" I don't know if it would suit you, as the reason I like this lens is for its more modern, neutral rendering. If you want something with richness, warmth, and character try the Zuiko 50mm f/1.4...
  7. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    +1. And the SMC 28/3.5 also.
  8. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    My favourite 24mm or 28mm would be a Vivitar Close Focus f/2 variety. But I don't see much reason to adapt such a thing, since I have the Panasonic 20mm.

There are hundreds of decent fast fifties. But if you want something with special rendering, then the Pentax FA 43mm Limited is the ticket.

Pentax FA 43mm Limited on E-P1
  9. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    I second that. For a normalish prime it works well. Remember you are only using the sweet center of these old 35mm legacy lenses. The 28 makes a 56mm EFL on 4/3 cameras. I just order the PL 25mm f1.4, so probably won't be using my 28 as much, but I'll hang onto it -- because it's fun.
  10. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I'd say to get a 24mm instead of a 28mm, but it can get exponentially more expensive. I like my Nikon 24mm. If the Yashica ML lenses are as good as my ML 50mm f/1.4 and 135mm f/2.8, don't hesitate to buy one!

As for another 50mm lens, if you already have the Nikon f/1.4m, don't waste your money on another one. Put that money towards photo editing software since you can easily change rendering with the click of a mouse, or as mentioned sell it and just get the Olympus 45mm f/1.8.
  11. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    +1 I have the same lens and agree with the above. I also got the 1.9 out of curiosity but it only arrived today so I have not yet had a chance to try it out.

Anyway, these Yashicas are very cheap - both of mine were under £15 each. They are [Contax /Yashica] CY mount so you will need a Contax/Yashica C/Y to micro four thirds adapter - under £10 on ebay.

Very underrated lenses, here is a good review of the ML 50mm f2.0 :

Flickr: Discussing Lens Review: Yashica ML 50/2 in EOS Cameras and Manual Lenses

Here are a couple of reviews of the 1.9:

Warning first link contains nudity (I guess I have to put that in case you are reading this at work or something): :smile:
    Women and Dreams: Mini Lens Tests MCMLXVVI: Yashica ML 50mm f/1.9

Flickr: Discussing Lens Review: Yashica ML 50/1.9 in EOS Cameras and Manual Lenses

The "Yashica sounds like a sneeze" comment made me smile. :biggrin:
  12. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    Sigma 24/2.8 mk II
    Zuiko om 50/1.4 or 1.8

Sent from my GT-I9100 using E-3
  13. paperoga

paperoga New to Mu-43

Jan 27, 2012
    If I you haven't them already, I would buy olny cheap legacy lenses (like the OM 50mm 1.8) and lenses difficult to find (macro lens...) :rolleyes:

Consider also that -i.e.- the new Sigma 19 and 30 f2.8 have a very good pricing (max 200$), have AF and are lighter and smaller then most lenses with adapter...
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    For a bit of interest and lots of character, I recommend the remarkable Minolta MC W-Rokkor SI 28mm f2.5, which is not only super-sharp wide open but has a radioactive element which decays to give a warm yellowish tone to everything (so long as you turn off Auto WB). Not all these lenses were radioactive, but the MC version with the metal focusing ring certainly is.

<a href="" title="Helianthus annuus by the justified sinner, on Flickr"> 6938631068_17d603c1c4. "500" height="375" alt="Helianthus annuus"></a>

<a href="" title="Spring Chicks by the justified sinner, on Flickr"> 7058293565_0d5418bb89. "500" height="375" alt="Spring Chicks"></a>​

I bought mine very cheaply (under £25, I am sure) from a second-hand camera shop.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Harmonica

Harmonica Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2012

Agree. At least Vivitar Close Focus 28mm f2 (serie number starts: 28....made by Komine) simply a wonderfull mf lens. Great to use as well. But I'm not gonna use mine either with OM-D E-5, as I'm planning to buy native Pana-Leica 25mm. Of course...I could also adapt Pentax FA* 24mm f2...I guess many has not done that.