adapted leica lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by edd, Mar 21, 2011.

1. edd

edd New to Mu-43

Mar 21, 2011
    I have a 50 summicron and 135 elmarit mm vintage 1970's leica r lenses. I have not yet purchased a 4/3 camera. Is there an adaptor, which cameras would work best, and what limitations can I expect. Thank you.
  2. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The Summicron is one of my favorites on the GH1/GH2, I think it is an excellent match. With the built-in viewfinder on theser larger models it is very easy to manually focus, I cannot think of any limitations. For the smaller m4/3 cameras it may balance a bit differently, as will the 135mm.

3. shrimp123

shrimp123 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    no, none. those lens are worthless. just give them to me and i will dispose them :)

depending on your budget,
    ebay (cheap)
    Leica R Lens to Micro 4/3 Adapter fit GF1 E-P1 GH1 G1 | eBay

rayqual (expensive)
    Adaper Micro 4/3 FD

I use the ones from ebay (for leica-M, nokton 35/1.4) and they are ok. But, remember, would you risk a >$1k lens to skimp on a $100 adapter?

or keep a watch on fm or dpi forums. there are some for sale from members and it is cheaper.

4. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

I have a Leica R to m4/3 adapter that I bought from Rainbow Imaging. It works great. Just remember your 50 and 135mm lenses will be 100 and 270mm equivalents on a Micro 4/3 camera. Also, if you want image stabilization, you should buy an Olympus because it has in-body image stabilization (IBIS), as opposed to Panasonics which have built IS into the lenses.
  5. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Just be sure to get the R adaptor and not the M or screw mount ones.

Also be aware that the R will be a larger lens than the M/screw mount alternatives, but they are frequently less expensive, too.
  6. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    I never even thought of the olympus IBIS being an advantage when using manual lenses... on my panasonic gf2 i have to make sure my settings allow for a high shutter speed or i get a blurred image. Maybe I should trade for a e-pl2?
  7. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    this thread's got misplaced in the image archive ... cn a mod move it to a more favourable place?