1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

adapted leica lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by edd, Mar 21, 2011.

1. edd

edd New to Mu-43

Mar 21, 2011
    I have a 50 summicron and 135 elmarit mm vintage 1970's leica r lenses. I have not yet purchased a 4/3 camera. Is there an adaptor, which cameras would work best, and what limitations can I expect. Thank you.

2. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    The Summicron is one of my favorites on the GH1/GH2, I think it is an excellent match. With the built-in viewfinder on theser larger models it is very easy to manually focus, I cannot think of any limitations. For the smaller m4/3 cameras it may balance a bit differently, as will the 135mm.

Stefan

3. shrimp123

shrimp123 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    no, none. those lens are worthless. just give them to me and i will dispose them :) 

depending on your budget,
    ebay (cheap)
    Leica R Lens to Micro 4/3 Adapter fit GF1 E-P1 GH1 G1 | eBay

rayqual (expensive)
    Adaper Micro 4/3 FD

I use the ones from ebay (for leica-M, nokton 35/1.4) and they are ok. But, remember, would you risk a >$1k lens to skimp on a $100 adapter?

or keep a watch on fm or dpi forums. there are some for sale from members and it is cheaper.

S

4. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

I have a Leica R to m4/3 adapter that I bought from Rainbow Imaging. It works great. Just remember your 50 and 135mm lenses will be 100 and 270mm equivalents on a Micro 4/3 camera. Also, if you want image stabilization, you should buy an Olympus because it has in-body image stabilization (IBIS), as opposed to Panasonics which have built IS into the lenses.

5. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Just be sure to get the R adaptor and not the M or screw mount ones.

Also be aware that the R will be a larger lens than the M/screw mount alternatives, but they are frequently less expensive, too.

6. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    I never even thought of the olympus IBIS being an advantage when using manual lenses... on my panasonic gf2 i have to make sure my settings allow for a high shutter speed or i get a blurred image. Maybe I should trade for a e-pl2?

7. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    this thread's got misplaced in the image archive ... cn a mod move it to a more favourable place?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.