Adapted legacy lenses - do you use them much?

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
I've been using legacy glass mainly with my 50mm 1.4 & 28mm 2.8. I like the look they produce, and frankly they are both very sharp lenses on FF & M43.

iGonzoid

Mu-43 Veteran
I voted 5% for my Leica Dual-Range Summicron 50mm f2, which still has its parent M3 body in residence but unused for years. The Summicron was my favourite Leica lens in my 40+ years of 35mm use and it still performs beautifully on my EP-2 and GH2 via the Pana M-m4/3 adaptor. On both bodies you can mount the rangefinder "goggles" that allow the lens to focus closer than the normal [for M-series lenses] 34" closest focus to about 19". Functioning as the equivalent of a 100mm f2 on m4/3, it is a great portrait lens and the bokeh suits so many natural light subjects. Consequently I use it a lot for portraits — wide open it is kind to wrinkles, as well as for close-range found objects that enjoy a bit of that Leica glow. I recently had a major clean-out of legacy Leica and Canon rangefinder lenses... and the Summicron was the only one I retained. I had tested all the others on my m4/3 gear but the Summicron was the only one without issues such as colour-fringeing. Writing this has inspired me to fire it up on the GH2 and had for the outdoors... Enjoy that legacy glass, I say. Very interesting thread. Thanks. I often wonder how other people use and enjoy their old gems. Keep posting.

Real Name
Nic
When I first started out with an E-P1 I used a lot of legacy lenses, but back in those days Micro 4/3 was just a fun sideline to my DSLR gear. As Micro 4/3 slowly became my primary system I used legacy lenses less and less to the point where now I would barely use them 1 or 2% of the time. I think that it was a worthwhile exercise and good fun using the old glass, but if I hadn't started using the native lenses I'd probably still consider DSLRs to be the be all and end all of advanced cameras.

I am much more content with Micro 4/3 now that I am using the system as it was intended.

chicks

Mu-43 All-Pro
I use mostly legacy lenses. I'm a fledgling, tried SLR's a long, long time ago, they didn't click. Been an occasional P&S shooter on film & digital since.

Not long ago, I stumbled on a nice pair of Canon FD lenses at a thrift store, $4 each. Figured I'd put them on Craigslist, must be worth a few bucks to a film buff, right? I was completely clueless that these could be used for digital cameras until I searched for their value, and all the ebay posts kept touting their usefulness for MFT. Huh?

So, did some research, found an E-P2 at an excellent price, and here I am, taking and posting crummy photos with a collection of, what, 6? 7? thrift store lenses, most bought for < $10.

Maybe one day I'll be able to justify dropping $400 and up on a native lens. I do have the kit lens, and refurbished 17mm and 45-150, but really do like the feel of a quality legacy lens - just like I greatly prefer the look and feel of my vintage stereo system to modern gear.

WJW59

Mu-43 Veteran
I rarely shoot with legacy glass since:

1. While wearing my bifocals I don't manual focus well, even with the screen magnification on. If I wear my distance prescription I have to hold the camera too far away.

2. Most of what I have feels too large and heavy on the Pens that I bought so I could go lighter and smaller.

3. There are enough native primes out there to cover the range I need.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
1% to 5%. Most of my photos are "travel shots" and there's no time to play with manual focus when travelling with my friends or girlfriend.

Now that I fell for the E-M5 yesterday (ordered it FINALLY!), I'll be taking more shots with my legacy lenses. And I'll probably buy a legacy 500mm reflex lens next to get better bird shots too. I'm pretty sure E-M5 will increase my use of legacy lenses up to at least ~20%. It's just so much more fun to shoot manually. :biggrin:

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
Thanks for the comments folks! Keep 'em coming.

I did notice that there seems to be a lot of love for the 45-55mm legacy lens range. The normal or wide end doesn't seem nearly as popular.

Cheers,

DH

AnttiV

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for the comments folks! Keep 'em coming.

I did notice that there seems to be a lot of love for the 45-55mm legacy lens range. The normal or wide end doesn't seem nearly as popular.

Cheers,

DH

I think there's a lot for different reasons for this.

1) That's undoubtedly the most used focal range in 35mm photography.
2) Some of the best lenses ever made fall in to that range.
3) Following from 2, some (all?) of the widest-aperture lenses are in that range. (1.4 and larger apertures).
4) Follows from 1: There's thousands upon thousands of units made in every different quality, so they're readily available.
5) Because 4, you don't have to break a bank to buy a 50mm legacy lens. Look a bit and you'll probably find one for $10 or so.
6) on a :43: camera, that focal range is quite ideal for many kinds of photography (90-110mm equivalent).
7) and last, but maybe not least, very few of the kit lenses offer this. (E-M5 kit lens is 12-50mm?, others are 14-4Xmm and then the primes.) so this'll be a bit longer than what most people with only one lens have. (And it'll probably offer a larger aperture than the kit lens does).

EDIT: 8) Oh, and that focal range is ideal for starting to learn to manually focus. Try with a 200mm and you'll be shaking so much MF will be very hard without a tripod. Use a wider lens, and the DoF is so large anyway focusing doesn't matter that much.

spinyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have a large collection of old glass that I have a lot of fun with from time to time.I go to flea markets a lot and often find old glass that I can't pass up.My latest purchase is a 55mm 1.8 Super-Takumar which I love and paid $8.00 for.This is the one with the radioactive coating that gives it a golden glow.Looks very cool but,supposedly, is slightly dangerous.I just can't pass up deals like this.I consider it a cheap thrill.For me,the quality build of these old lenses is very special and you just don't see it in the native lenses.
However,I have been expanding my collection of native lenses as well, and they are a joy to use because of the light weight and small size,rendering and the super fast focusing.Just bought the Oly 9-18 from a member here and this lens is superb.Will probably be my go lens for walk about and travel.So light and tiny.
I still find this format to be special in no small part,because we can use,virtually any lens we want to, with it.

DonTom

Mu-43 Regular
Qatar &amp; New Zealand (&amp; Malaysia when in tr
Legacy for video & sports for me.

I use an OM50/1.4 for video a lot. It is actually in really bad condition, with a damaged front element, but gives a lovely dreamy look to low light video. I also use a 135/2.8 for the kids sports, both video & still. Seem to get reasonably focused shots from it. Also have a 200/F3, which came in handy at a night tennis game.
But I don't travel with these lenses, and I know I'll stop using them eventually. Too heavy compared with the native AF equivalents! I figure on having good native replacements in the next couple of years.

drathquark

Mu-43 Regular
I voted 50%+ though it has gone down a bit since I got the Panny 20mm. One of the reasons I opted for the E-PL1 over a DSLR was because I could use the collection of OM lenses I had, and I've even added to the collection with the intent of using the lenses on the pen since then (plus the helios 44M which I don't have a film body for).

spatulaboy

I'm not really here
Real Name
Vin
I've shot with Minolta legacy glass almost exclusively for the past year, with my only native lens being the 14-42 kit lens. I got into it as an economical gap-filler while I saved up for the more expensive native lenses. Surprisingly I enjoyed using them so much I continued using them longer than I expected. I've gotten quite good at manual focus and I just enjoyed the tactile nature of shooting with manual lenses. My ratio was about 99% legacy lens, and I would only use the kit to cover the wide shots I couldn't get with the legacy glass.

I've recently acquired the PL25 and Oly45 lenses, so naturally they're on my camera most of the time. I have not had much time to properly shoot lately so they still feel new to me. First impressions are good but the experience feels completely different. AF is fast but not always accurate, I don't feel like I have complete control and that is something I will have to get used to. I will probably use native lenses for the majority of my shooting now but I don't think I will give up shooting with legacy lenses either. I predict a 80% native 20% legacy ratio. We'll see. :)

Crdome

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Michael
I shoot almost exclusively with legacy lenses. Most often with c-mounts in low light environments f/1.4-1.8. Native zoom lenses are too slow. That said, I'm trying to acquire a panny 7-14. I hope I won't regret its f/4. Obviously it's not for by beloved low light situations.

I hate to admit this, but when I shoot corporate and private art collections for appraisal, I leave my GH2 in the bag and fall back on my old Panasonic FZ8 and FZ18. F/2.8-3.1 and flexible 36-432mm gets the job done where I struggle with the 14/140 f/4-5.6

Cant do this with the f/4.

Lamp_clvii_v2sm.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
I voted 20-50% but that might be an underestimate, until recently my only native lens was the P20. I love my legacy primes, and for the foreseeable future won't be replacing any of them with m4/3 natives.

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
I've spent decades shooting manual focus, now that AF is here and it's easy, fast (and getting faster) and quite accurate ... not only am I not tossing that wonderful tool away for inexpensive glass, I am relishing and embracing that tool. AF has made photography much easier for me with more consistant results.

Gary

PS- I do use a Micro-Nikkor 55mm for macro.
G

Justified_Sinner

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dauvit Alexander

I think that is just to do with the crop factor, which makes even a very wide legacy wide-angle seem like a "normal" lens on MFT. For me, the flip side of that is that the long lenses become seemingly VERY long, thus my old Minolta MC 85mm f1.7 becomes effectively 170mm and f1.7 is pretty amazing for that. Of course, long lenses can become unmanageable and while I can just about hand-hold the MD 70-210mm f4, the Sigma 800mm f8 Catadioptric lens is impossible! (And looks hilarious on the little red G1 too...)

Generally, it is mostly Minolta glass for me but it depends on my situation or mood. If I'm in a rush or on a short visit, I will stick the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 on the camera, set it to Ai and leave it at that!

When I have time to enjoy myself, however, manual lenses win every time.
A few weeks ago, I had several hours to spare with my Minolta Rokkor MD 50mm f3.5 Macro and went off to the Botanic Gardens in Glasgow. It was a bit like shooting fish in a barrel!

dadadude

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David
Resurrecting this old thread. For me it's 99% of the time. I love the connection legacy gives me with the camera. AF just seems sterile to me and I have way better control with focus and DOF with legacy. I have acquired a stupid collection of old glass, but adding up how much I have spent its no more than a couple of decent native lenses would have set me back. Most of my legacy glass is in the $10-$40 range.

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
Resurrecting this old thread. For me it's 99% of the time. I love the connection legacy gives me with the camera. AF just seems sterile to me and I have way better control with focus and DOF with legacy. I have acquired a stupid collection of old glass, but adding up how much I have spent its no more than a couple of decent native lenses would have set me back. Most of my legacy glass is in the $10-$40 range.

I'm the opposite. I just yesterday finally got an adapter to try my old Minolta lenses. I need to find some of these thrift shop bargains I sickeningly read about (not sure where to go locally). I've had a renewed interest in legacy glass lately after perusing the threads..but so many choices!

99.9% Native for now...but that might change.

Latest threads

Top Bottom