Adapted legacy lenses - do you use them much?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by dhazeghi, May 21, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I was digging through my lens drawer a few days ago and couldn't find my Canon FD/m43 adapter. It took me a few minutes to realize I'd sold it 9 month ago. I guess I haven't really missed it (I have an FD mount 135/2.8).

Looking at my Lightroom catalog, aside from a little bit of testing my legacy lenses have seen very little use (I have a 25/1.4, 24/2.8, 38/1.8, 50/1.8, 55/3.5 macro, 105/2.5 and 135/2.8).

OTOH, I see lots of people mentioning how the whole reason for them getting m4/3 is the legacy lens support.

So my question is how often do you use your legacy lenses?

2. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    I voted for around 20% above, but I'm guessing. Probably not 20% of my shots, since I tend to shoot too fast with auto focus on. One of the reasons for putting on a manual focus lens is to get myself to slow down and think a little more about what I'm doing. the reason I use usually use manual exposure even when I'm using an AF lens. Of course auto everything is nice when you need it..
    • Like Like x 1
  3. AnttiV

AnttiV Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2012
    Only a small part of my images have been taken with an adapted lens, but the reason is that I've only recently acquired the mu43 body (had the Sigma for several years) and only less than two weeks ago got my first legacy glass. I've ordered a few more, so I'm willing to bet the percentage will only grow in my case.
  4. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I voted that I shoot with them probably 5-20% of the time, however, I'd venture to guess that 20-50% of the shots I end up really liking are shot with legacy glass.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I sold all my legacy/adapted lenses many months ago. They are fun, cheap and produce really nice images of static objects. But for my needs and shooting style, I would rather have light weight lenses with AF. Some people don't mind using MF or lugging around heavy lenses. Just like what most people say- "it's a personal choice".
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    For sure I shoot over 50% with legacy glass, since retiring my DSLRs and keeping with the PEN system. My Four-Thirds lenses are not so compact, and native Micro Four-Thirds lenses simply don't offer a complete lineup yet of fast lenses (in particular, no fast telephotos or zooms). So for a complete yet compact kit, I carry all legacy glass, and for my more heavy-duty commercial work I use Four-Thirds.

The m4/3 lineup is really starting to build in the direction I like it though... I'm glad to see the new Lumix X f/2.8 zooms are weather sealed, and that Olympus is putting out longer fast primes. One day soon we'll have a complete lineup, and I can start using all native glass. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    I use them 99% of the time I have no need for autofocus in my style of shooting I don't like using a menu to change f stops The only time I use the 14~44 kit lens is when I am bicycling and I'm usually not happy with the pictures. Also I don't have a ton of money so m4/3 and the ability to get quality pictures with cheap lenses is just right for me. My favorite lens is my Minolta 28mm f2.8 which I got for $50. I can focus just as fast as a autofocus and have more control.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I don't use them much but I will say that none of my native lenses gives me the kind of look I get from the legacy lenses I have. Fortunately, legacy glass by and large is pretty inexpensive so its an indulgence that doesn't break the bank.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I use my Minolta legacy glass often when I'm going on a dedicated photo trip. I like the colour rendition very much and if you pick the right lenses the pics are very sharp; the only native glass I carry then are the 7-14/4 and 20/1.7. For family snapshots I use native lenses, the Panny 14-45 and 45-175.
    Aha! A fellow Minolta user! :2thumbs:
  10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have yet to find a native lens (that I can afford) that renders like my Hexanon 24/2.8 or my Helios 44M. I will even go so far as to say that my OM50/1.4 produced more pleasing images than my O45/1.8 does and that in retrospect I should have kept the OM50 and not bought the O45.
  11. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I use them 99.9% of the time. I only use my AF lenses when I first get them to see if they work. Then they stay in the box. Although I use the camera that can't be named for legacy glass so even for dynamic scenes, MF is pretty quick.
  12. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    You can get Minolta lenses for a lot cheaper than a Nikon or Canon and unless you are blowing up to a large poster I can't see the difference on m 4/3
    I do not like the color on the 14~44 Oly kit lens at all it seems brown and I have to change it in PS where with the Minolta or even Tamron the color is so much better. Since I grew up with manual lenses and not even a light meter the use of manual over auto doesn't bother me at all.
  13. petronius

petronius Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2011
    I donĀ“t own other lenses, so 100% legacy for me.
  14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    So far looks like I'm in the distinct minority. Interesting to see that despite all the talk of this or that great m4/3 lens, many do in fact prefer adapted lenses! Thanks for all the responses so far,

15. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I used them a lot more when I first started with MFT. Now I have enough native lenses that I rarely use the legacy glass - except for macro shooting. I have several that I will probably sell in the near future.
  16. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    About 50% of my shots. Much of that is due to the fact that I own very very good Nikon & Leica glass and only have the kit zoom for the native mount. If I could afford the good native lenses - 25/1.4 or the f/2.8 zoom, I'd not rely on my adapted lenses so much. As it stands though, running around with my Summitar 50/2 lens on the camera is extremely fun despite the crop factor which often has me backing up a whole lot :) My Industar 61 is surprisingly good as well.

I'll usually start with either that lens or my Nikkor 24/2.8 on the camera when I go out with the kit lens in my pocket unless I'm planning something specific. Then I might well pack my 50/1.4 & 105/2.5 Nikkors too. Haven't had a need yet for the 200/4 though when I get moved up north I may try for some eagle shots with it.
  17. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    its an interesting question.

as an early adopter of the micro 4/3 after being a 4/3 user for a couple of years I went through a year or so of buying a lot of legacy glass...which gave me a collection of some classic lenses most of which sits unused now as the native primes have come along and they deliver images I am more than happy with.

I will probably keep most of the legacy lenses... they have a potential life on my Canon 5D....and maybe on my GH2 for video.

however i did have a lot of fun with legacy on 4/3

Legacy lenses - a set on Flickr

18. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I'd guess that around 90% of my photos are with legacy lenses, two in particular: the Zeiss 80-200mm and the Canon FD 50mm macro.
  19. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    I voted 5-20 percent use. Almost all the shots I take in nature are with legacy. Almost all my people shots are with my kit lens, my only native. With nature subjects I take my time; with people I shot quick and multiple times. I'm in a school setting every day and always have my camera with me. I also have grandchildren that are always on the move. The native lens is a lot faster for me to use. I did shot student portraits last year with a Minolta and this year with a Helios. In nature, I prefer using legacy lenses. I mostly have several Minolta lens with me, but I really like using my Helios 44's.
  20. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I got into m4/3 precisely to use all the legacy glass from my old film cameras. I bought more native lenses over time, but still shoot quite a bit with the Olympus Zuiko 38mm F1.8 for the Pen F.

The Olympus Zuiko 70mm F2 is another fantastic lens from the original Pen F system.

I love having click stop aperture settings on the lens, and for many types of photos I don't need AF.