Adapted 50-200mm Olympus 2.8/3.5 from 4/3 to m/43 on Em-1

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
With Single AF mode?
Yes, with E-M1 II. It isn't shown as a "feature" for E-M1X & E-M1 III though (a bit 'old hat' by then).

1614209316464.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It doesn't change from that with FW 3.0 either. https://olympus-imaging.com.au/product/dslr/em1mk2/feature7.html

Here's a clip from E-M1X specs.

1614210049793.png

And E-M1 III

1614210126838.png

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Ah I see. Looking into to it a little further I guess the new system initially uses PDAF to get close but once there it reverts to pure CDAF for the final adjust. Whatever gets you there.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
not really
Better look at the screen shots (& links) I posted then. The E-M1 (original) would only do Dual AF (PD-AF with CD-AF) in C-AF for M4/3's lenses & only PD-AF for 4/3's DSLR lenses & not as well with just horizontal sensing. It was painful when using the 14-54 II lens on the E-M1 as it would just keep hunting on less distinct scenes, so I'd have to put the 12-50 kit lens (from the E-M5) back on & it would get instant AF using CD-AF for the same scene.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
@Ross the fiddler , Ross, I never had many problems with my E-M1 MkI + 14-54 MkII. With my f/2 50 macro, yes. Ye gods, yes. My 50-200 MkI wasn't flash either.

The E-M1 MkII with its all cross type AF points is certainly far superior with all my FTs lenses.

I haven't even tried my FTs lenses with my new to me E-PM2, but I suspect that guessing it would be dreadful is probably in the right area ...

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Better look at the screen shots (& links) I posted then. The E-M1 (original) would only do Dual AF (PD-AF with CD-AF) in C-AF for M4/3's lenses & only PD-AF for 4/3's DSLR lenses & not as well with just horizontal sensing. It was painful when using the 14-54 II lens on the E-M1 as it would just keep hunting on less distinct scenes, so I'd have to put the 12-50 kit lens (from the E-M5) back on & it would get instant AF using CD-AF for the same scene.

Now that I am not at work and on my phone.................

First, a little review of how PDAF and CDAF work is in order. Keep in mind that this is a very simplified version of how it works.

PDAF - Measures the phase difference to determine the distance to subject, drives the lens focus elements to be focused at that distance. There is no feedback mechanism to PDAF and it is why you have to do a micro focus adjustment on PDAF systems to make sure you focus at the distance needed.

CDAF - Moves the focus elements back and forth very quickly and uses the sensor to measure the contrast. Once it determines the highest contrast it stops the focus elements at that location. Because it basically double/triple checks CDAF is very accurate and doesn't have the micro focus adjustment like the PDAF system.

All of the EM1's when using a 4/3 lens only use PDAF for both SAF and CAF.

From the mk2 forward when the camera is using a m4/3 lens and you have CAF selected the camera only uses PDAF. It doesn't use CDAF at all when in CAF.

When you use SAF what Olympus is doing is using PDAF to drive the lens focus elements to approximate distance to the subject. Now that the focus elements are in the general area they only move them back and forth over a short range (vs the entire range in a pure CDAF system) to determine highest contrast area. This speeds up focus because now the elements only need to move in a very small area vs the entire range. The difference in focus speed is only in milliseconds (really not observable by a human), but it is faster than a pure CDAF system so they can claim without any legal worry about it being faster.

It really irritates me how secretive Olympus is about how their autofocus system works. I get protecting trade secrets and all, but damn.......................................... They could be a little forthcoming. I have never seen anything from Olympus about the micro focus adjustment that all of the EM1's and EM5mk3 have. My personal opinion on that is everyone knows that mirrorless cameras with their CDAF are perfectly accurate (in theory anyways) and they don't want people to think the EM1's are not accurate.

kbouk

Mu-43 Regular
A long time ago I made a comparison with my old and faithful 50-200/SWD (calibrated) and two different copies of 40-150/2.8 pro, with and without the 1.4X (two versions) on pro. Bodies was EM1/ΕΜ1.2.

With plain lenses only, I have found 50-200 equal or slightly better overal on sharpness up to 150mm FL (with slightly better bokeh also). When I attach 1.4X on pro (210mm) the sharpness suffered from f4 to f5.6 compared to 50-200 SWD at 200mm/3.5.

So I never bought the pro just for the speed as the optimal reach & sharpness is my main goal. The speed and accuracy for 50-200 SWD on EM1.2 vs EM1 is day and night also on SAF and CAF . I have to mention that on SWD version of 50-200 you can use the manual focus ring all the time, it’s useful to prefocus and speed up the focus process.

Now I have EM1.3 as my main body. A friend of mine with many 4/3 lenses bought a Viltrox (ΜΜF3) adapter and I made a comparison two days ago with SWD lens and my original MMF3 adapter. I didn’t find anything wrong with focus speed or accuracy, nothing to mention. Its very difficult to find new MMF3 here in Greece. I think it’s discontinue.

Last edited:

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
A long time ago I made a comparison with my old and faithful 50-200/SWD (calibrated) and two different copies of 40-150/2.8 pro, with and without the 1.4X (two versions) on pro. Bodies was EM1/ΕΜ1.2.

With plain lenses only, I have found 50-200 equal or slightly better overal on sharpness up to 150mm FL (with slightly better bokeh also). When I attach 1.4X on pro (210mm) the sharpness suffered from f4 to f5.6 compared to 50-200 SWD at 200mm/3.5.

So I never bought the pro just for the speed as the optimal reach & sharpness is my main goal. The speed and accuracy for 50-200 SWD on EM1.2 vs EM1 is day and night also on SAF and CAF . I have to mention that on SWD version of 50-200 you can use the manual focus ring all the time, it’s useful to prefocus and speed up the focus process.

Now I have EM1.3 as my main body. A friend of mine with many 4/3 lenses bought a Viltrox (ΜΜF3) adapter and I made a comparison two days ago with SWD lens and my original MMF3 adapter. I didn’t find anything wrong with focus speed or accuracy, nothing to mention. Its very difficult to find new MMF3 here in Greece. I think it’s discontinue.
I certainly missed the constant pre-MF possibility of the SWD lens when its aperture blades stuck & I bought the 40-150+MC14 (together in a package deal), however in a FW update (for the E-M1 II) there came the option to have all AF modes with + MF in the Menu & that can serve similarly.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Its very difficult to find new MMF3 here in Greece. I think it’s discontinue.

Yes, discontinued so hard to find anywhere in the world. When Olympus stopped making 4/3rds bodies, they still made some of the higher end 4/3rds lenses for some years and so the MMF-3 adapter was also available during those years. But once the 4/3rds line of lens production shut down, so did the MMF-3 adapter.

came the option to have all AF modes with + MF in the Menu & that can serve similarly.

Yes, similar, but with the note that on the SWD lenses the ring is mechanically linked to the focusing elements where as the AF+MF option lenses are still focus by wire when you turn the focus ring so the feel and behavior may seem different if you are used to one and try the other.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
@Ross the fiddler , Ross, I never had many problems with my E-M1 MkI + 14-54 MkII. With my f/2 50 macro, yes. Ye gods, yes. My 50-200 MkI wasn't flash either.

The E-M1 MkII with its all cross type AF points is certainly far superior with all my FTs lenses.

I haven't even tried my FTs lenses with my new to me E-PM2, but I suspect that guessing it would be dreadful is probably in the right area ...
It was with indistinct scenery such a looking across the valley at Govettes Leap , Blackheath (Blue Mountains) that it just totally hunted. There obviously wasn't enough contrasting detail, & yet, it had no problem at all with the 12-50 lens using CD-AF.

Have you noticed any differences in AF speed and accuracy using 4/3 lenses on the EM1.3 vs the EM1.2? I saw a big improvement moving from the EM1 to EM1.2 with my 50-200 SWD and would like to learn if there is another improvement moving to the EM1.3, especially with regards to CAF.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Have you noticed any differences in AF speed and accuracy using 4/3 lenses on the EM1.3 vs the EM1.2? I saw a big improvement moving from the EM1 to EM1.2 with my 50-200 SWD and would like to learn if there is another improvement moving to the EM1.3, especially with regards to CAF.
The E-M1 II got the AF algorithms of the E-M1X in a FW update & that, I believe is also the same as E-M1 III, except it also has improved Face Detection. I am happy to be corrected for anything different though.

kbouk

Mu-43 Regular

I can’t tell if there is a significant improvement because I didn’t make the same time any comparison between EM1.2 and EM1.3. My feeling is there isn’t any , except a better performance with FD .

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom