Adapted 50-200mm Olympus 2.8/3.5 from 4/3 to m/43 on Em-1

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
Next question I am using a firmware v3.01 updated omd1-mkii .and a four thirds plus MM3 adaptor 50-200SWM . which setting is best with this body / lens combo taking into account I shoot mainly wildlife and birds in flight . Which is best CAF ,caf+ tracking ,or SAF

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Next question I am using a firmware v3.01 updated omd1-mkii .and a four thirds plus MM3 adaptor 50-200SWM . which setting is best with this body / lens combo taking into account I shoot mainly wildlife and birds in flight . Which is best CAF ,caf+ tracking ,or SAF
Depends. If subject is moving use CAF, I’m not a fan of Tracking with OLYMPUS. If subject is not moving SAF. I used nothing but 4/3 lenses for about 5 years and loved them. My 150mm f2.0 is tied with my 300mm f4.0 for pictures taken, love that lens. Keep my 50-200 around for sports, prefer 2 primes (one on each em1) for wildlife. Just make sure you do a micro focus adjustment.

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
Cheers . Got some stunning kestrel in flight shots today using c.a.f . Totally pin sharp so no way will I mess with .M.A

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
pics
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I am SO tempted to go this route - right now I have just the cheap 40-150mm, and it's OK, but I'd like more reach. The 40-150mm f2.8 pro is within budget, and I could add a teleconverter to get more reach, but that combo is more than double a used 50-200 with the MMF-3 and EC-14 on eBay right now ($600).

Hmmmm... Weather sealing and new for less reach? Hmmmm....

Real Name
Mel
I have both the 40-150mm 2.8 Pro and a 50-200mm 2.8/3.5 with a cheap 4/3 to m4/3 adapter. No converter. I use the 50-200mm more than the 40-150. I pretty much keep it and 14-54 2.8/3.5 4/3 lens on one of my cameras depending on where I am at. Part of the problem is that the wife keeps the 40-150 2.8 and the 12-40 2.8 in her backpack at her studio. Great lenses, all of them.

I hear you - I was wondering if there was a big difference between the almost $300 Olympus adapter and the el cheapolas. If I were a pro, I probably would have a much wider assortment. But I went ahead and got the 40-150 f2.8 Pro. I'm very happy with my 12-40mm f2.8 Pro, and having f2.8 all the way out is nice. I also got the MC-20. With Covid and the US Postal Service it'll take a while before I see it, but excited :). I'm in the military in a unit that flies GLOBAL HAWKs -- 600mm full-frame equivalency with the MC-20 will be pretty epic :)

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I hear you - I was wondering if there was a big difference between the almost $300 Olympus adapter and the el cheapolas. If I were a pro, I probably would have a much wider assortment. But I went ahead and got the 40-150 f2.8 Pro. I'm very happy with my 12-40mm f2.8 Pro, and having f2.8 all the way out is nice. I also got the MC-20. With Covid and the US Postal Service it'll take a while before I see it, but excited :). I'm in the military in a unit that flies GLOBAL HAWKs -- 600mm full-frame equivalency with the MC-20 will be pretty epic :)
The Olympus MMF-3 has seals to make it splash resistant (both versions of the classic 4/3rds 50-200mm are splash resistant). I have used the E-m1 mark I, MMF-3, Olympus EC-14, and Olympus 50-200mm mark I all in wet environments and it seems to work.

Other classic 4/3rds to micro 4/3rds lenses adapters do not claim to be splash resistant.

If you were mounting the wider classic 4/3rds lenses (i.e. the Olympus 7-14mm, the Olympus 9-18mm, the Sigma 10-20mm, the Olympus 11-22mm, and the Olympus 12-60mm) there are some people have noticed that the adapters can be slightly out of spec at the wide angles, and it shows up part of the image being de-centered. This only seems to happen at the wider focal lengths (7-13mm), and by the time you get to 14mm, things seem to be fine.

Mostly this seems to occur with the non-Olympus/Panasonic adapters, and the MMF-3 generally being praised as being in spec. However, over time, the MMF-3 adapter may go out of spec. I recall reading one post on dpreview.com many years ago (that I did not save the URL) where a person was trying to use the classic 4/3rds 7-14mm lens, and he went through two MMF-3 adapters, each of which worked for a time, and then went out of spec. Eventually, he just gave in and switched to the micro 4/3rds 7-14mm.

Last edited:
Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Forget the MC-14 if you do not have
The MC-14 is very, very good, and can be used with any non-electronic film lens adapter. I use it quite often with my OM-System Zuikos, as the OM 1.4x teleconverter has a protruding front element, and only works with a few of them.

And if you're handy, you can modify the MC-14 and any 4/3rds —> µ4/3rds adapter so it will work with any 4/3rds lens.

Personally, I think the MC-14 looks a bit better when used with 4/3rds lenses than the EC-14 does, but I haven't done any formal testing.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
The MC-14 is very, very good, and can be used with any non-electronic film lens adapter. I use it quite often with my OM-System Zuikos, as the OM 1.4x teleconverter has a protruding front element, and only works with a few of them.

And if you're handy, you can modify the MC-14 and any 4/3rds —> µ4/3rds adapter so it will work with any 4/3rds lens.

Personally, I think the MC-14 looks a bit better when used with 4/3rds lenses than the EC-14 does, but I haven't done any formal testing.
Since I was replying to someone that wanted the 'correct' TC to use with the 50-200 SWD lens I answered correctly with the appropriate TC for that lens, not something he would then need to modify to cobble in behind an adapter (MMF-3). The EC14 & EC20 have their own processors & FW to report correct EXIF data too, unlike the MC14 which is a 'dumb' device & relies on the lens (e.g. 40-150 Pro) to report it in use.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom