Adapted 50-200mm Olympus 2.8/3.5 from 4/3 to m/43 on Em-1

Real Name
Mel
Here is a shot of my used but new to me non-SWD lens with the inexpensive adapter I bought recently. The $30.00 adapter works great with no problems at all. I know it is not rain protected but I wanted to see how it works. Shown here on EM-1. It is a keeper even though it is not SWD. Focus fast, not quite as fast as my 40-150mm 2.8 Pro but still good enough for me.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Congrats. It was this very lens that kept me in 4/3rds land for years instead of moving to micro. Up until no so long ago there was no equivalent m43 upgrade to this lens. It wasn't until the E-M1 was released that there was finally a m43 model with native phase detection support for these lenses that I finally dipped my toe into m43 land. To this day I still use this same lens as my "long" lens. I haven't had any desire to move to a longer focal length pro-level m43 lens as this one still does the job fantastically. In fact, if my non-SWD ever stops working I probably will just pick up another second hand of this, maybe with the "big upgrade" to the SWD version.

EDIT: forgot to mention, these thirds part adapters seem to be fine for longer focal lengths. But there has been instances on wide angle lenses where even a slight out of parallel (lens mount side vs. camera mount side) tolerance can make one side or the other of wide angle shots blurry. So keep that in mind if you ever try to mount something like the old 7-14, 9-18, the 11-22, or the 12-60 SWD with this adapter. If you find this problem, don't immediately blame the "new" lens for the issue.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
I happily used the 50-200/2.8-3.5 with the EC-14 on my E-M1 until it fell apart in my hand and Olympus declined to repair it.

Enjoy.

Real Name
Mel
I happily used the 50-200/2.8-3.5 with the EC-14 on my E-M1 until it fell apart in my hand and Olympus declined to repair it.

Enjoy.
For what I paid for the 50-200mm 2.8/3.5, if it works for one season of football, I am miles ahead. And, I just opened and used a new to me 14-54mm 2.8/3.5 adapted Olympus 43 lens on my EM-1 and it works great and I got it for just a tick and I mean a tick over a hundred dollars. It is in excellent condition and focuses fast.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross

Enjoy.
I had (have) the 50-200 & 12-60 SWD lenses & they both got sticky aperture blades (likely caused by the ribbon cable cracking maybe &/or the mechanism needing cleaning or lubricating) & Olympus (Australia) also declined to do anything with them. I bought the 40-150 (+MC14) a couple of years ago & then the 12-40 lens as well. It's great when these old lenses work but not worth paying money to fix them now though (I don't think anyhow).

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
For what I paid for the 50-200mm 2.8/3.5, if it works for one season of football, I am miles ahead. And, I just opened and used a new to me 14-54mm 2.8/3.5 adapted Olympus 43 lens on my EM-1 and it works great and I got it for just a tick and I mean a tick over a hundred dollars. It is in excellent condition and focuses fast.
That was my attitude as well when I bought it. It served me well, and had the decency to expire at the appropriate time: when I was testing it out for our then-upcoming Africa trip, rather than waiting until we arrived in South Africa. Plenty of time to replace it with modern m43 alternatives.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
The 14-54mm 2.8/3.5 is also a keeper. Focuses very fast and sure on the EM-1 and is a great value.
Yeah, I've still got mine & had it since new. It does OK as a back up lens. The others, 12-60 & 50-200 SWD lenses were preloved & a shame they developed a fault. I did buy the ribbon cable for the 12-60 (off ebay) while I could since it was cheap enough & I'm pretty sure that will fix mine, but I'm not sure if I want to do it though.
However, with the 14-54 II F2.8-3.5 it would focus fine, but slow on the E-M5 (with the lens being optimised for Live View with the E30), however when I tried using it on the E-M1 it was painful if the detail wasn't clear enough as it only used PD-AF & just continued to hunt, without a choice to use CD-AF which would have been far more reliable as the 12-50 lens would have no problems (using CD-AF on the E-M1). It does focus much better on the E-M1 II though (as I needed to use it when the 12-60 died). I should try it again now the E-M1 II is at FW 3.1.

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
Just bought the 50- 200 swm only got it delivered yesterday morning ,took it out on a red deer shoot today in less than ideal conditions , the hit rate,sharpness ,clarity and brightness are outstanding . Using it on a 1-mkii with firmware upgrade and shooting in c.af not really sure if I should be using s.af though .lost about thirty images due to softness from a 300+ day ,does this sound a good average

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Just bought the 50- 200 swm only got it delivered yesterday morning ,took it out on a red deer shoot today in less than ideal conditions , the hit rate,sharpness ,clarity and brightness are outstanding . Using it on a 1-mkii with firmware upgrade and shooting in c.af not really sure if I should be using s.af though .lost about thirty images due to softness from a 300+ day ,does this sound a good average
That sounds possible & probably normal with that combination.

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
Will try it with CAF+ tracking first I think as it will mainly be used for birding .. the Panasonic 100-400 I have used till now only allows CAF and lens I.s .. so this is a pleasure to use , still on a learning curve with the camera to only had it a month

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
do a micro focus adjustment on it.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
O.k question from a new owner 50-200swm plus mm3 adaptor ... what t.c do I need some say ec-14 while other mc-14
You can only use the EC-14 or EC-20 with that lens, so long as you also have the MMF-3 4/3's to M4/3's adapter to use on a M4/3's camera (needs to be one of the E-m1 models & soon to be E-M5 III as well). Forget the MC-14 if you do not have the 40-150 f2.8 Pro M4/3's lens (or 300 f4.0 Pro).
BTW, the lens you are referring to is the 4/3's 50-200 f2.8-3.5 lens SWD lens.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom