1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adapted 50-200 SWD or Canon 7D w/ 400 5.6 EF L

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by rpringle, Apr 24, 2015.

1. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    Hey everyone,

I'm wondering how the 50-200 SWD with EC-14 on the E-M5 would do vs a Canon 7D w 400 5.6 EF L quality wise. I know the 4/3 lens on E-M5 is slow focusing 1-2 seconds from what people report. Handling, quality and usage wise for wildlife is what I'm wondering. E-M1 might be in my future if I can catch it on sale at Oly Outlet.

Been happy with my E-P5 + 75-300 mkii except for birds in flight, in heavy canopy, and on cloudy days. From what I can figure 7D would have higher ISO roof + faster AF, the 50-200 has versatility with the zoom and slightly better F stop without EC-14 and less weight/size.

Canon 7d $500 used, 400 5.6 $850 used = $1350

E-M1 with 25% sale $750, 50-200 SWD used $600, EC-14 $100, MMF-3 $130 = $1580

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Olympus setup really has the cards stacked against it in this comparison.

Canon: Larger sensor, higher resolution, longer effective focal length, bare lens vs TC, native full speed AF.
    Olympus: Smaller sensor, lower resolution, smaller effective focal length, TC on the lens, slow AF.

I can't imagine the Olympus coming anywhere close in real world usage. It is not even really much lighter (2.4 vs 2.8Lbs for the lenses)

As for your specific issue, the older 7D does not do high ISO any better than the Olympus 16MP sensors, so I wouldn't count on f5.6 on Canon looking any better than F5.6 on your E-P5.

3. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    I had the 7D and don't believe that it would have a higher ISO roof. That was one of the downfalls of that camera.

The 7D focusing for action I found to be outstanding with L lenses. The image quality of the 400 5.6L is also fantastic. BUT, you are limited to the 400 focal length (at x 1.6 crop factor on the 7D). If you are okay with that focal length and the larger form of the 7D and the 400, then the 7D wins for me over the E-M5.

If you go the route of the E-M5, you probably need to add the grip as well to make the 50-200 more balanced. Also, the E-M5 is known to be lagging in the focusing department with legacy lenses

HOWEVER, if you can wait for the E-M1, I would personally go with the E-M1 and 50-200 option. More versatile and you don't just need to use it for birding/wildlife. There are some 50-200 threads and the results seem to be really good with that combo - especially with the new firmware 3.0.

4. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    It was more the versatility factor for me with Olympus which made me drop my D7000, that and I had trouble with it's focusing and magnification with my 70-300 VR. I do remember now seeing the 7D high ISO wasn't so great, and really my D7000 wasn't either. I'm in no rush just fishing for opinions. I've also been looking into the FD 400 4.5 SSC but my ability to hit focus when I want manually is a concern for me. Along with I haven't had much luck with legacy telephoto glass, mostly too much CA and not enough sharpness for me. I mostly went for Minolta Rokkor X glass.

Also I have the upper part of the grip that came with the E-M5 when I bought it used and a 3rd party aluminum grip for my Pen.

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Even the newest APS-C is only a half a stop better at best for high ISO.

I think a lot people are waiting on that 300mm f4 that was announced to solve the problem you are having. Maybe it's worth waiting? I bet it will be in the ballpark of your above solutions price-wise. Hopefully Olympus will make it compatible with the 40-150mm TC.

6. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    From what I've read here and there the 1.4 TC will be compatible with the 300 f4. I've heard prices being thrown around like $1800-$2500 but no one knows. B&H has a page for the lens which surprised me, perhaps a price will be coming soon.

7. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
  8. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    They have already said it would be.

I cannot speak to the EM-5 (although I could try it on my EM-5), but I love my 50-200 SWD on my EM1. Oh, the SWD and EC14 actually are ƒ4.9 at full zoom, so it is actually faster even with the EC14. Here are a few threads of mine on that combination:

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/74463/

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/70408/

I have also come from shooting a 7D to my EM1 and I really am much happier with the OMD and any of the lenses I have used on it. I also feel that the OMD's are a bit better in IQ then the 7D (have no experience with the 7D mk2 so cannot comment on that).

I also have the Canon 400mm ƒ4.5 and have taken some amazing photos with that lens. Here is a link to my flickr gallery for that lens, photos taken with Fuji XE1 and OMD EM5 (have not updated flickr in a long time, but is the only place I have any photos organized by lens: https://www.flickr.com/photos/prehensile-pollex/sets/72157633410554465/ The lens is great and I love using it, but you are correct about CA. It can suffer from it pretty bad in really bright situations.

All of the more recent photos in my wildlife section have been taken with the 50-200 SWD, thing is permanently glued to my lens: http://www.rrcolejrphotography.com/wildlife

Few photos using the FD to show you the versatility of the lens

Any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Ronnie

• Like Like x 3
  9. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    Does the SSC version improve or eliminate the CA? My understanding is the only difference between the normal FD and the SSC is the coatings on the lens.

Awesome pictures btw I have seen your 50-200 shots in one of the threads you started very impressive.

The 400 4.5 seems like the lowest cost solution and certainly it gets results. I have seen the SSC version for $365 scuffed to $500 for almost new looking.

10. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    The 7d and 400 will be better with BIF, as even with Firmware 3, that is still the one weakness with the E-M1. I love the E-M1 and 50-200 SWD combo, and with the EC-14 it makes it more versatile. If you want a dedicated birding lens, and want birds in flight, the 7d and 400 may be better, but not very versatile.

I have considered the 7d and 400 5.6 as well if the price of the 300 4 comes in too high, but I would much prefer to stay with the E-M1 ...

11. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I have the SSC version. Great lens but CA can be a pain, especially in bright light. $400 is about the going rate and has been pretty consistent the last 2 years or so. I am getting the ZD 150 f/2.0 and EC-20 hopefully this coming week. If my SWD gives except able results with EC-20 I may sell my FD 400.

12. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    With very few exceptions, you won't find the 7D + 400/5.6 to be too long, unless you live in Florida. The AF speed for this combo will only be limited by your reaction time and ability to track a subject.

• Like Like x 1