Actuations? How many?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by makoti, Sep 4, 2012.

1. makoti

makoti Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Stupid newbie question....
    As I read through the marketplace ads, they list the number of actuations on the camera. Two things...what would be considered a lot & why is it important? What part gets worn out with a high number of actuations? It's digital, so does the sensor have an expected life of X amount of photos or video?
  2. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

The way i read actuations...

The way i have been reading into actuations is basically number of pictures taken. SLR's apparently have an expected life which is counted in actuations. i believe the newer ones keep in creasing in life while older ones still perform after their expected life.

Its not to say that the camera will stop working once it hits 50,000 actuations, its just an estimate.

Correct me if im wrong, im doing this from memory.

Edit - 50000 is just an random placeholder, different models have different values. There was a thread that posted a link for some camera models (not all).
  3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Hi Makoti!

The shutter activation count can be considered as one would the odometer on a car - the more "mileage" the more wear and tear on the system.

Mean time between failures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The manufacturers, after testing, assign a number that some folks figure represents the life of the camera (which is, of course, untrue).

The OM-D, for instance, is rated at 100,000 shutter activations. That is equal to over 8300 rolls of 12 exposure 35mm film.

That doesn't mean that you should start looking for a new camera at 99,000 shutter clicks :wink:. It does, however, give some indication as to the wear on a camera that you might be considering buying used.

Some folks shoot a TON (Google "Gary Winograd", for instance); others walk about all day and may make a single exposure. I don't know of a confirmed "average" number of photos folks take, but a poll was taken last year at the Digital Photography School:

How Many Photos Do We Take Each Week? [POLL]

(Disclaimer - I have no financial interest in the DPS, nor am I a student/former student or on the faculty. I merely post the link as a curiosity).

The sensor has no upper limit of how many images it can record, as far as I am aware, but the moving bits (such as the shutter) do wear out eventually.

I did, over the weekend out of pure boredom, do a shutter count on my OM-D purchased June 21 2012 and it was 409. Of course some of those came from testing at the factory and some were "dry fires" where I was just learning the camera controls. In 2006 I had 13 days on vacation in Alaska and shot around 1,000 photos. It's hard to get an average.

There's a thread here that indicates how other :43: users are doing:

(And there's no such thing as a "stupid newbie question" - if ya don't ask, how are ya supposed to learn?? :thumbup:).
  4. makoti

makoti Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Thanks for the info. Clears it up a lot. As it happens, after I posted my question I saw the shutter count thread. 100K should last me a long time, so buying a used one with 2K it much less a worry.