Actually considering jumping back into the mft thing

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dcisive, Jul 9, 2011.

1. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I've been looking closely at this progress being made by both Panasonic and Olympus. Seems they are really moving this technology down the road a ways. So I'm selling some other gear and making room for a possible return to the mft format. The G3 was getting all of my attention until of course they announced the release in August of the E-P3 which would be right up my alley. Except I have to admit, while there's no doubt the VF-2 is the highest quality EVF out there, plugging it in all the time was a pain back when I had a E-PL1. The price puts me off a bit too as I'd rather spend the $200 difference on lenses instead of a viewfinder, which comes stock built in on a G3. I can't say they are miles apart in IQ either, pretty darned close. I had a bad experience trying a GH-2 back in December sending it back and throwing the towel in on mft at that point. I don't care for ISO noise below around ISO800 at least, and it had it at base ISO.

I saw some samples on line from a tester that indicated noise in the sky even at ISO200 on the P3 which scares me a bit. I won't put up with that as I had a NIkon D300 that did that and won't go back there. So I'll patiently await the sale of some other gear to complete and see what I'll end up doing. I'm not the most patient person in the world so that won't bode well for the P3 either as I doubt they will be available prior to at least mid August. We''ll all have to be patient and see how the testing and final firmware unfold for these new models. :rolleyes:
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Glad to see you still considering it, but I have to say, I'm not expecting a lot from the Olys in terms of sensor performance over my EP1, but I've been happy with the EP1, though I know others haven't.

I found creating an S curve for my tone curve, and applying on import into Lightroom as a preset, has really helped me enjoy my EP1 shots more, but I'm not sure the new EP series addresses your concerns in terms of sensor noise.

Still, it'd be great to have you back!
  3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    The viewfinder issue bothered me as well until I realized that I could buy a viewfinder, but I couldn't buy IBIS at all. As an add on that is. This doesn't effect everyone, but I won't buy a panny until they have stabilization for any lens attached, which Im hoping to see since it's on their new P&S camera/phone has IBIS. Otherwise still content with E-P2.

Hope to see you back.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Two advantages of the VF-2 over the integrated Panasonic EVF is that it can be turned up 90 degrees at variable angles, and being removable makes the whole system more compact to pack away.

The disadvantages are the extra expense and the way it uses up the hotshoe, meaning that you have to trigger external flash via the built-in Remote Commander/pop-up flash, or take off the viewfinder when triggering via PC Sync, radio trigger, or hotshoe mount. A little bit of a compromise, but there are plenty of workarounds.

As far as the quality goes, I believe the integrated Panasonic viewfinders are also 1.44 million dots like the VF-2. It's only the Panasonic LVF removable viewfinder for the GF-series which is a measly 202k dots. So if you're looking at the G3 then you shouldn't be sacrificing anything noticeable in quality - you will only make a sacrifice in vari-angle and modular design.

As far as the "hassle" of plugging in the VF-2 before shooting, I'm personally used to taking the time to bolt on accessories like bracket, flash, light modifiers, etc., maybe changing lenses, removing lens caps, turning over bayonet hoods, etc. before my camera is ready to shoot. Plugging in a VF-2 is no hassle at all.
  5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I had an EPL1 with a VF2 and I now have a G2. Quality wise there is no difference. The EVF on the Panasonic has a bit more tearing in low light and the VF2 has a bit less clarity in low light. I figure it's related to different ways of implementing the same technology. The VF2's ability to flip up is nice but for me is offset by the G2 (and G3's) rotating LCD which I find a lot more useful but that is really just a matter of personal preference.

As far as IBIS goes...that was my biggest concern going from the Olympus body to the Panasonic (and I shoot a lot of legacy glass) and I have to say that I have not missed it in the least. For me, the handling of the G2 was so superior to the EPL1 that it was in my mind well worth the trade offs. That said, I find the differences between the bodies quite small in the grand scheme of things. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses and each makes a terrific photo tool.
  6. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    As others have noted, the G3's integrated EVF is of equal quality to the VF-2.

The variable angle on the VF-2 can be nice, but don't forget that the G3 has a fully articulating screen, which is much more versatile.

Also, don't rely too much on impressions of the G3. When you can handle one I think you will be surprised at just how compact it is. In reality, it can use any bag the E-P3 can use, and once the external VF-2 is attached, the E-P3 is in fact much bulkier than a G3.
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    If you're looking for better high ISO performance & you haven't bought any MFT gear yet, you might want to look at the comparison below.....Note the dynamic range & high ISO performance differences....:eek:

--> DxOMark - Compare sensors
  8. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    By all means consider the DXO mark information, but note that it is only one aspect of relevant information. The Leica M9 does not score too well according to DXO Mark...

This article might be of help too, when keeping these things in perspective:
    • Like Like x 1