activating manual focus magnification with legacy lens

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by indysteve, Apr 2, 2013.

1. indysteve

indysteve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    indianapolis
    i've been on here several times today and deleted my posts because i thought oly tech svc had solved my problem. i'm very sorry for all the prior posts. i have a oly pm-1 with an adapted legacy lens (vivitar 70-210 f3.5) my problem is i don't know how to activate the manual focus image enlarger to make it easier to focus image. i would appreciate any suggestions . thank you and sorry for previous posts.

2. John Barleycorn

John Barleycorn New to Mu-43

Mar 25, 2013
    You cannot. You can do it only with lenses that communicate with camera. And I guess that lens does not.

3. indysteve

indysteve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    indianapolis
    do you know if any panny g series mf enlargers can be activated with legacy lenses?

4. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    There is no way for the camera to know that you are turning the focus ring on a legacy lens, so the camera will never jump into magnified view the way it does with native lenses. You just have to push the magnify button yourself (the magnifying glass button on your E-PM1), push it again to get back to normal view.

EDIT - following comments below, I realized that the E-PM1 does not have a dedicated "magnify" button like some of the other PENs. But the function is still marked on the right/east side of the control wheel, so you must be able to set it up.

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Can you be clearer about what you are wanting to do? It seems there are three possibilities of what you are asking.

One of your responses from one of your previous posts indicated that you were referring to the "Digital Teleconverter" functionality (which for still imaging is basically just a crop of the center of the sensor). From the way you asked the question I don't think that's what you're looking for, but it's not totally clear.

With native lenses (except those lenses like the Noktons that are fully manual and have no electronic connection to the camera) there is a setting where the Live View will automatically zoom when you turn the focus ring. This feature is NOT available with any legacy lens since there is no communication between lens and camera.

The third option is that you are referring to simply the ability to magnify the view on the LCD. It should be possible to configure this functionality on any of the :43: cameras. With the Panasonics, it's generally a matter of depressing and turning the thumbwheel. With Olympus, you can assign a button to this purpose. Generally the process is something like Menu --> Cogs (Custom Menu) --> B (Button or Button/Dial) --> Button Function. The process may differ slightly among the various models, but that should get you in the ballpark. If you don't see the Cogs option in the menu, then you need to enable it, which is under the Wrench/Spanner menu.

6. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

I have an E-PL1, where you press the button with the magnifying glass symbol to enlarge the image. I notice on a picture of the back of the E-PM1 that there is a knurled knob with the same symbol underneath it. What happens when you, in Manual focus mode, either turn the knob, or press it inward, or press and turn?

Just a thought.

7. indysteve

indysteve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    indianapolis
    i've tried everyones suggestions and none work, guess i'll buy a pl-1 body. thanks all

8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    That seems like quite a strange solution. How about trying to better explain what you are attempting to do and what troubles you are encountering.

9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I thought all m4/3 cameras have the magnify function? Oly bodies have a magnify button, Panasonic bodies you just click the rear dial or touch the screen.

10. indysteve

indysteve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    indianapolis
    i have a olympus om manual focus lens with m4/3 adapter. i can not get the mf image magnifier in the camera to activate and enlarge the image on the lcd screen on the back of the camera like it does in mf mode with native af lenses. if i can't magnify the image i can't get a sharp focus(bad eyes)

11. indysteve

indysteve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    indianapolis
    mag button on pm-1 is split with flash and wont go to magnify with adaptive lens. i need someone with pm-1 who uses adaptive lens to tell me how it works

12. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
  13. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Do you have your E-PM1 manual handy? I mean, the magnifying glass is printed right on the button (along with the flash) so there must be a setting to switch so that the button goes to magnify instead of flash.

14. indysteve

indysteve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    indianapolis
    pm-1 focus assist

thanks for the heads up on the thread spatulaboy, works great !!!

15. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    No problem, have fun shooting!

16. indysteve

indysteve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    indianapolis
    can't wait!!!