1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Action shots with M43

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by newfie, Mar 29, 2015.

1. newfie

newfie Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2015
    Canada
    Ian
    took my epm2 for a kid birthday at a slide park. Got some okay shots and I love the camera but I really had to anticipate the action. Slight delay from shutter release to exposure.
    S-af, flash, high ISO. Pre focused and recompossed in anticipation of action.

Is the em5 or 10 a little quicker in that regard?

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I doubt the E-M5 will be better. The E-PL5, E-PM2 and E-M5 have very similar innards. The E-M10 has a faster processor, but whether that reduces EVF lag I don't know. You'll need to check the specs. In general though, action photography is still the one area where mirrorless lags behind old-style SLRs or rangefinders. If you're going to be doing a lot of this sort of thing, you might be better off investing in a D7100 or similar.

3. newfie

newfie Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2015
    Canada
    Ian
    Thanks for the response.

I don't think it was the EVF because I wasn't really using the lcd, exept to prefocus and expose. I'd then recompose and wait for the kid to slide into position and "bang" take a pic. Looking more at the live action than the EVF.
    It almost feels like the epm2 has a softer or less responsive shutter button to my d7000 rather than slow processing.
    For ex, my epm2 was set to full manual exposure and manually prefocused with manual kit flash, approx 12ft shooting distance, but it seems like after pressing the shutter button, there's a split second for the camera to get the signal...like a wonky shutter button. My epm1 is the same so I was thinkin it was more a mechanical engineering thing (spongy button) and I was just hoping it's a little different with a different shutter button on a different body.
    Never the less, it's fun shooting with this little camera and while no camera is perfect, I really enjoyed the performance of this small system.

Is the m43 "lag" a processing issue, focus issue or mechanical issue?

4. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    I think the EM5 or 10 would be much better. I briefly had an EPM2 and sent it back, if I remember right, it was slow to use in general.

5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The delay is probably caused by the slow AF of the lens. A major factor of the camera system's AF speed is the torque of the AF motor in the lens. The kit lenses and the consumer zooms have low torque motors. Combine that with what sounds like low light levels and you have a camera feels like a slug compared to the D7000.

6. newfie

newfie Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2015
    Canada
    Ian
    Using MF and manual exposure?

7. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    No. I think you would find the performance of the EM5 or 10 much better, otherwise the forum and Internet would be filled with complaints.

8. newfie

newfie Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2015
    Canada
    Ian
    I bet you're right Jeff.

Anyway, it was a fun day of photography with the epm2.

9. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I think it depends alot on the lens and how used to it you are, i´ve been shooting these
    https://www.mu-43.com/threads/74812/
    with c-af+tr and 9fps with m43, so i would not say it´s a bad system for action anymore.

And i´ve been shooting action/motorsports since I had my Pana GH1 back in 2010.

10. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I think the EM1 with PDAF in C-AF can do better, though I saw some good action shots with other recent Olympus models, I never really achieved that with whichever lens I used on the E-PL5, which is supposed to be quite similar to E-PM2 in this regard, while Panasonic bodies usually handle predictive C-AF better (Panasonic calls it "AFC"), the G6 I'm using enables my to do very accurate dog running photos.

• Like Like x 1