Action Photography with the E-PL1

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by isabel95, May 30, 2011.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

I took it plus the Panasonic 45-200 lens to a riding competition yesterday to see how well the combination could keep up with the activity.

I found the moving focus box was a decided inconvenience, slowing things down considerably. (Camera had been sent to spot focus and the moving box was invariably in the wrong place).

One I had changed to an immoveable center box I locked focus and recomposed and got the focus I wanted. I also prefocused on the jumps.

I tried to anticipate the position of the horse and press the shutter button BEFORE the peak moment (front legs in the air) but often missed. A dslr with fast burst mode would have been more up to the job.

That being said, I did get a few keepers and this was my favorite: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/isabel95/5772930038/" title="P5294710 Little Jumper by Isabel Cutler, on Flickr"> 5772930038_abb69a6112_o. "1145" height="836" alt="P5294710 Little Jumper"></a>

About setting exposure: A guy shooting with a Nikon dslr told me to set it at +0.7 for the backlit situation. I always avoid plus settings when there's white to be burnt out and many of the horses had white on them. I tried a few at his setting and they were terrible. I prefer to underexpose and then lighten shadow areas in Photoshop.

Isabel

• Like Like x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.