Acronyms and Other Helpful Terms (some with Links)

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Colin, also known as (AKA) angloasturian, recently posted in mauve's important thread A small request benefit us foreigners a number of very helpful links for everyone, whether English is our first language or our fifth.

Last year I made the following suggestion:
'Owing to my background as an English teacher in a foreign country I find it reasonably easy to put myself in non – native speakers’ shoes when I read posts.
We native – speakers blithely put in acronyms like BTW, AFAIK, IMHO or FOV, DOF, PP etc. and expect everybody to understand them. Imagine somebody wrote ‘ Live View is WYSIWYG’ – we’d probably understand it but a non – native speaker would be reaching for his English – Klingon dictionary.
OK, jokes apart – my suggestion is to have a section where a few basic tools are easily accessible – perhaps the ‘Links’ section would be appropriate:
Internet acronyms: Internet Acronyms Dictionary
Photographic acronyms or terms: http://www.wonderfulphotos.com/artic...eras/acronyms/
Terms beginning with "C"
to give just a few examples.
I see we now have 4,383 members – but how many of them actually participate in posts or upload photos? A very very small percentage. I suspect it’s because they find the prospect of writing in the kind of English they read here to be beyond their capabilities. How about an open letter inviting all non – native speakers to join in, whatever their level? – we may criticize their photos, but not their English!
I've taken the heads up from mauve's thread, along with the responses within, and have created this sticky thread where I hope it will catch everyone's attention. I encourage other members to add in their own helpful posts and links here, as well.:2thumbs:

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
OK, here is one that Mauve, you mentioned, that I honestly didn't know. TLA = three letter abbreviations.

And then we have the one that kind of kicked off that thread: EPP which means Employee Purchase Program, which apparently in the UK is referred to as a Staff Discount.

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Relating to IT - Information Technologies

MIS - Manager Information Systems
CIO - Chief Information Officer

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom