1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

ACR update for Olympus Pen F available!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by toggen, Mar 16, 2016.

1. toggen

toggen Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2016
    Downloading right now...

2. toggen

toggen Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2016
    Oh yeah!
    So far:
    A little too much magenta images for me,easy to correct.
    Noise reduction works flawlessly on iso 1600

3. Miami Dave

Miami Dave New to Mu-43

Mar 14, 2016
    For those of us who are rank amateurs, can you explain what an ACR update is? Thanks.

4. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    ACR is short for Adobe Camera Raw, which is the raw converter used in Lightroom and Photoshop.

5. Miami Dave

Miami Dave New to Mu-43

Mar 14, 2016
    Thanks.

6. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    Awesome! I've fallen in love with the color JPEGs from the PEN-F, but I like toying with my own black and whites in RAW.

7. dmcgrew

dmcgrew Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2016
    wooohoooooooo!

8. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    For those doing Adobe Photography CC package there is also an update to Lightroom.

9. agray88

agray88 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA USA
    Adam
    RAW images turning out nicely, I think. I still would love to have someone post PEN-f preset for LR. I like my EM-1 presets and would love the same functionality for the PEN-f.

10. dmcgrew

dmcgrew Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2016
    Is this why the RAW files look very dull and washed out compared to the JPGs? I never had that issue with my Canon camera.

11. agray88

agray88 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA USA
    Adam
    There could be several reasons for that. First, the Oly jpegs are a little punchy and warm straight out of camera, maybe more than most, so by comparison the RAW images look dull. Also, LR profiles are a little flat so you can process them as you like. Some people also tone down sharpness and contrast on their jpegs to allow for more latitude with PP because they are so vivid. Having a punchy RAW default image in LR may be a bad thing since your options in PP may be more limited. Some cameras under/over-expose based on a set amount of light, too. Kirk Tuck says his Nikon 810 underexposes by up to a full stop in certain circumstances so that can also be a factor. I'm no pro, but that's how I understand it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  12. Nawty

Nawty Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    That's exactly why. A JPG is a raw file processed to a pre-set number of criteria/settings and the camera manufacturers spend a lot of time making sure their JPGs look good. The only gotcha is that the camera companies don't know what you're thinking when you take the shot nor how you would like the final image to look, that's why people use raw files, so they can apply their creative imagination to that file.

So, when you have a raw file you need to do your own processing to make it look good and how you want it.

A good tip I picked up from here is that if you use Lightroom, use the camera calibration module and change it from Adobe preset to 'Camera Standard' which maps the raw conversion closer to Olympus' view of what the tone response should be rather than Adobe's. This has the effect of evening out the colour response (I find it a bit green and red using Adobe's calibration) and adding a bit more contrast, you can set Lightroom to do this on import, which I have done, and I find it a much better starting point.

• Like Like x 3
  13. agray88

agray88 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA USA
    Adam
    Thanks! I'll give that a try!

14. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Ahhh... So nice now to take Pen-F .orf straight into Lightroom. I can retire OV3. Very happy with the Adobe upgrade.

15. agray88

agray88 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA USA
    Adam
    So true. Hard to express how much I dislike OV3.

16. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Yep. I tolerate OV3 only so far as to convert .orf to .tif and only while waiting for Adobe to refresh new camera inclusion.