1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

acoustic sound of IBIS?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by physicsdude, Aug 8, 2014.

1. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    Hey guys,

I just received a Om-d em10. I started playing with it and every time I push the the trigger halfway, it produces a sound. Like rushing wind/water. Apparently it's the Image stabilization. That's the normal sound?
    As soon as I turned it off, the sound disappeared.
    I am stepping up from an E-PL2 and I never heard a sound like that there. Of course it's not much of an IBIS there..

Just making sure that nothing is wrong.

Thanks

2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Normal.

3. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    You bet! It's normal. When you slightly push the shutter button, IBIS activates and lifts the sensor into a centred, suspended mode for operation. It uses motors and solenoids to do it and, as a result, makes noise.

Nothing to worry, really.

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    A little bit of history. The OMD EM5 originally made that sound 24/7 when powered up. The first firmware update fixed it so IBIS only activated after the shutter was half pressed, which probably helps battery life and reduces wear. In addition to motors, the OMD cameras also float the sensor on magnets which accounts for the difference in sound.

My EPM1 which only has screw drive motors always sounded like it was grinding coffee beans when the IBIS kicked in on long exposures. On the other hand, my Pentax K100D, which also used magnets, produced a high pitched whine that sounded like a flying saucer from my favorite 1950's japanese sci-fi movies.

• Like Like x 1
  5. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    When the Nikkor 24-120VR came out, I was one of the early-adoptors of the first generation of that lens. A half-press of the shutter button made it's VR system whirr and it sounded EXACTLY like the E-M5... So it's a sound I find somewhat comforting knowing the system is doing its job.

6. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    Yeah, I figured it was normal. I first typed it, when I didnt turn off the IBIS and realized that it would be an easy test to just turn it off.
    I was just not expecting it. No review I've ever seen mentioned the acoustic noise due to the IBIS.

7. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    You should still hear something with the IBIS off. It won't modulate as you move the camera around, but you should still hear a soft purr as the camera uses those functions to keep the sensor in place. When the system stops running, the sensor homes towards the bottom of the lens throat, off-centre from the image-plane.

8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They certainly made a big fuss about it for the E-M5, but people have probably stopped mentioning it as every Olympus body with this form of floating IBIS (E-M5, E-M1, E-P5, and now E-M10) all do this.

9. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

On the EM5 this noise is most noticeable if you have Halfway Rls with IS set to on. This helps to stabilise the image in the EVF.

10. mjgraaf

mjgraaf Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2014
    Netherlands
    Menno
    As much as i like and appreciate the level of VR from IBIS, i can still appreciate the almost silent VR in Pana lenses, especially when it comes to the longer focal lengths...