1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Achromat Magnifying Lens Question

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by retiredfromlife, Jun 8, 2016.

1. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    I have just been reading an article by Mark Berkery on Macro photography and he describes using an Achromat magnifying Lens on the from of his lenses and describes them as "An achromat is a two or more element magnifying lens"

I have spent a fair bit of time phoning camera shops in Sydney asking about these and all told me they only sell one piece magnifying filter sets.

Does anyone know where these multi element magnifying lenses are sold. It is probable that I did not ask for the right thing, or not really understand what he is using as there were no pictures. Most shops just recommended I purchase some extension tubes. I am looking for filter sizes that are for Mu43 cameras. I also tried searching for "doublet lenses" as these maybe what he was refering too but no luck either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards MarkL

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They are rare finds. Usually they are specially designed units for specific lenses, e.g. Olympus MCON-P02, Sony VCL-M3358, Sigma ACL, but you can fit them on any reasonable lens with some stepping rings. Here's a fairly comprehensive list:
    Fuzzcraft.com | A list of achromatic close-up lenses | Photography, audio and light DIY projects

The only multi-purpose achromats I know of are the Marumi DHG and Raynox DCR ones. Not many shops stock these. I got all my achromats (DCR-250, Sigma ACL, Sony VCL) second hand.

3. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Thanks for the reply. If they are hard to obtain are something like the "Hoya close up filter set" worth getting as most stores seem to have these?

Regards MarkL

4. wjiang

No, have a look at the link, they have examples of the difference between achromats and single element lenses. The single element ones are a waste of money. Either go for achromats that mount on the front of telephotos, or extension tubes for normal range lenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    I see the difference now.
    Thanks for the links, a good resource.

Regards. MarkL

6. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

"achromatic diopter" is the search string you generally want. The Canon 250D (+2) and 500D (+4) and the Raynox DCR-150 (+4.8) and DCR-250 (+8) are the most common ones you tend to find at human being useful ranges of diopters and prices. Others I've seen generally spoken well of price/performance wise are the sigma and marumi (both of which tend to just simply say "+N" as the diopter strength) sets, the sigmas are generally something you'll find on ebay second hand rather than new.

I would recommend this one for some cheap thrills - it's the Raynox 150 and 250 together for cheaper than they usually sell separately with the lens clip. You can find simple calculator here that can help you determine what each strength diopter will do on a given lens at closest focus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    The Raynox DCR's are easily found online, if not in shops. I agree with wjiang about the single element closeup lenses not being worth it. I really like my Raynox DCR-150, which I use on lenses from 50mm and up with either the lens clip on the larger lenses or a step down ring on the smaller ones (without the lens clip). It takes practice to get the focus right. The DCR-150 is a little easier to use than the 250.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    The Canon 500D and 250D while expensive are very good. I have two - 58mm for my Oly 75-300 and a 77mm using a step down ring to 72 mm for my PL 100-400 from my Nikon days. On a good zoom they are very close to a prime macro lens IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. wjiang

That is a cool combo. I never realised they sold the two together.

10. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Most achromatic diopters (spelt dioptres in the UK and possibly Oz) look like single glass lenses the two elements being cemented together - so it's quite possible the camera shops are wrong, and they might be selling some reasonable ones without knowing :)

If you already have some prime lenses you can use them reversed as a macro diopter just with a coupling ring. Primes are usually highly corrected lenses that give great results. IIRC The lenses focal length (in metres) is the reciprocal of its strength in diopters - so a 100mm lens is +10 diopter...

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What lens are you hoping to use the macro filter on?

12. BigStreetGuns

BigStreetGuns Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 29, 2014
    Serbia
    Ivan
    I have both the Raynox DCR-250 and Marumi DHG200 +5. I use them on my Oly 45/1.8 and on my Nikon 10-30 (on Nikon V1). I'm happy with both of them. However each has it's own strengths and weaknesses. The Raynox (8 diopter) has higher magnification than the Marumi (5 diopter) and it's also easier to attach and take off, thanks to its clip-on adapter. The Marumi, however, is entirely made out of metal (Raynox is made out of sturdy plastic) and has better resolving power toward the edges. Coincidentally I have just finished writing an in-depth comparison of the two on my blog. You can read it here, if you are interested.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Thanks for the link, I will read your comparison. All information is a great help at this stage.

And thank you for the link to marumi-filter.co sammyboy

Regards MarkL

14. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    At this time I will only be using it on the M.ZUIKO 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 II R kit lens that came with the new body.
    The next lens I want to buy is the 2.8 12-40 pro zoom and that will be later this year.
    When funds allow I will probably get the 60mm 2.8 macro but that will be awhile off as I need a lot of other gear like a decent flash etc first.
    In the mean time I would like to practice macro photography a bit. I take it this will take a fair bit of time to develop technique so I am looking for close up lenses just to get me started. Not to take good images at this stage but good enough to see what I am doing regarding focusing etc.

I notice one of the shops in Sydney has the Olympus MCON-P02 Macro Conversion Lens. It received good reviews over a dpreview and it fits my lens and would fit the Olympus 60mm macro lens as well. Problem with online for me at the moment is the weak AUD plus freight, I am looking at the "Raynox" as well.

Regards MarkL

15. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I was looking for suppliers & there are two Australian sites that sell the DCR-250 for AU$129 here & here.

16. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia

Thanks for the links, I have not heard of those stores before. One is Sydney based so I will contact them.

Regards MarkL

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
  18. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia

From all the links to B&H I think I will put together an order later and get a few things that are hard to get in Australia. Looks like they have a good range.

Regards MarkL

19. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    I have the MCON-P01 which I have used a little with the kit lens and I found it rather disappointing, neither here nor there. I would consider saving a bit longer and go for the oly 60mm lens before buying any diopters or achromats - its a fantastic lens for macro, portraits and short tele. I also have the raynox 150 which I use with the oly 60mm, without the oly it is not close enough but with the oly it is almost too close. The 60mm was the first lens i bought (other than the kit lens) and I have never regretted it.
    In terms of practise I think you are better of with the lens as well, the oly lens is quite easy to use, once you get the hang of it with its AF and AF limiter. I usually set the lens to 1:1 and rock back and forth untill I achieve focus, then I lets the AF fine tune for me, this only makes sens with the oly lens.

Anyway macro is great fun and any route that will get you to your goal should be fine, but in my expereince all the half steps like achromats, cheap bag solutions etc usually end up costing me more, because I always end up getting the preferred option and then all the intermidiate steps are just a waste of money.

• Agree Agree x 1