1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Aching for a shift lens

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by addieleman, Feb 27, 2012.

1. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    A recent thread here on a Schneider Tilt-shift lens made me remember how I used to love using a shift lens. Long time ago I hesitated a few years to buy a PC-Nikkor 35/2.8 for my F3 and then I used it all the time. And then I agonized again for a few years over the purchase of a PC-Nikkor 28. Again I bought one and sure enough used it all the time. Sadly, the shift lenses disappointed on the D200 in terms of image quality and I sold them off; could'nt see myself using film anymore.

I think I'm done living without a shift lens. The MFT lens line-up won't probably offer one for many years to come, so knowing myself I'm going to end up someday with a Canon 24mm T/S L II and probably a 5D Mark II. The 17mm T/S is more attractive, about 27mm eq. on a Canon APS-C body, but is optically not quite as good as the 24 T/S and has a very vulnerable front element. And according to test pics the Nikkor PC-E 24 is clearly inferior in terms of distortion and CA.

This would be a return to a DSLR with all its focussing problems, but fortunately live-view can come to the rescue here for tripod work with a shift lens. And it would be my first ever Canon gear. That said I won't give up MFT gear, it's simply too good to do without.

2. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

There are several Chinese manufacturers offering shift adapters for lenses of various mounts to be used on m4/3 cameras. Kipon is the brand most frequently seen. Try searching on eBay for "shift adapter".

3. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Thanks for reminding me, I've read about it before and I've even considered buying a Kipon Nikon-F-to-MFT shift adapter and a Voigtländer 15/4.5 in Nikon F mount. However, it seems that this lens' exit pupil is so close to the sensor that you get purple/green fringing near the edges. IIRC distortion was also a bit high. I'll investigate again, this time more in-depth, thanks for the suggestion.

4. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I have one of the Kippon adapters with a Nikon to µ4/3. I use a and old Nikkor 50mm f1.4 (amber coated) lens, works fairly well, and was under $100.

5. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Yeah, did something similar with a crappy Fotodiox shift adapter and a Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5. However, for landscapes and architecture I'd like to have wide-angle, ideally around 14mm, hence my interest in the Voigtländer 15/4.5.

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For the price it is certainly worth a try! I know I plan on getting one down the road.

• Like Like x 1
  7. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    The price of the adapter won't be a problem, but the Voigtländer 15/4.5 in Nikon F mount sells for around 400 euros. Just checked on eBay and didn't find any in Nikon F mount so far. Well, I guess I could sell it for a handsome amount if I don't like it. Worth considering indeed.

8. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    I may be wrong, but I guess technically these aren't shift adapters, but tilt-only adapters.

Also, I bought one of the ~$60 chinese ones for a Pentax mount, and it started falling apart after 1 day of shooting with it.

9. speedandstyle

10. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I have a Fotodiox shift adapter for Nikon F lenses and I've used it for some time. Meanwhile after my light studio use it has developed a lot of play on various parts. If you lock the shift setting the locking screw pushes the front part of the adapter forward so that the lens' optical axis is not perpendicular anymore to the camera mount. If you leave it unlocked, the front part rattles and has to be manually pressed to the camera side. Also its fittings for camera and lens are loose and it doesn't focus to infinity. All in all, it's a piece of cr*p.

I'm going to look at Kipon adapters to see if these are better. Has anyone hands-on experience with these?

11. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    What lens to get for a Kipon shift adapter?

OK, so I ordered a Kipon shift adapter for Nikon F mount to MFT, it'll probably arrive tomorrow. Next question: what lens to buy? First off, I'm limited to lenses with Nikon F mount, this is the only mount for which Kipon delivers a shift adapter. Considering I want to have something between 14mm and 18mm there aren't too many options. I really want very good IQ and that seems to leave 2 candidates: a Voigtländer Heliar 15mm 1:4.5 (in Nikon F mount of course) and a Zeiss 18mm 1:3.5. Stuff like a Nikkor 18/3.5 dropped of the list because of its failing IQ. If I want good IQ when shifted on the GH2's sensor with high pixel density only the best lenses will do I guess. With a shift of about 10mm almost the full image circle of the lenses is used. Granted, this is extreme, it would shift the horizon out of the image, even for verticals.

The trade-offs between the CV15 (Voigtländer 15/4.5) and CZ18 (Zeiss 18/3.5) as I can extract from all I've read on the web.
    • Max. shift: 10mm for CZ18, 6mm for CV15 because the deep set part limits the shift
    • Focal length: CV15 is very close to my ideal focal length of 14mm, CZ18 is a bit long
    • Sharpness: CZ18 probably good enough, CV15 possibly worse
    • Distortion: CZ18 moderate, CV15 less
    • Flare: both fairly good; I'm not overly sensitive to this
    • Sample variation: CZ18 probably very good, CV15 iffy
    • Peripheral colour shift, meaning different colour rendition when going from center to corner: CZ18 relatively mild, CV15 possibly nasty
    • Weight and size: CV15 much lighter and smaller than CZ18
    • CZ18 readily available, CV15 discontinued and hard to get (overpriced Buy-It-Now auctions on eBay)
    • Resale value (if I'm not happy after all): CZ18 good, CV15 has to be sold on eBay with unpredictable outcome and high costs

So far I lean towards the Zeiss 18/3.5. Any thoughts or comments are very much appreciated!

12. speedandstyle

Yea , the extremely wide non-fisheye Nikkors are not real good. If you want a normal{on m43} the Nikkor 24mm are great lenses{several variations through the years including f2 and f2.8}. The f2.8 tends to be a bit sharper but obviously not as fast. The 20mm f2.8 is a good lens too and only a bit longer than the 18mm Ziess. Another option would be the Samyang 14mm , AKA Rokinon. It is a bit soft at the edges but should work great on a m43 even with a shift.

13. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Thanks. I've considered that one, I'm a bit weary because of its pronounced distortion. May reconsider because it looks like I have to take measures anyway to combat distortion in architecture shots for each candidate lens. And it's a whole lot cheaper of course.

14. speedandstyle

I have not actually used that lens but have read all the reviews. A few reviews are outright brutal and others not so bad with a few that claim it to be great. It might be that the earliest versions were worse than the later?

• Like Like x 1
  15. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    You know which tilt/shift lens I wouldn't mind having?

Schneider-Kreuznach PC-Tilt/Shift 90mm f/4.5 Makro Symmar Lens

They also make Super-Angulon 2.8/50 mm HM. Both are full-frame DSLR equivalent.

"Due to the large image circle of the lenses, they can be shifted by 12 mm and tilted by 8 degrees simultaneously. Both the tilt and shift mechanisms can be rotated by 360 degrees so that adjustments can be made in any direction and independently of each other. These individual settings mean that the photographer has a wide scope for creative image composition. The Super-Angulon and Makro-Symmar lenses were developed for DSLR cameras."

- DPReview

16. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Those will surely be fine lenses. I once saw a Schneider 28mm shift lens, a PC-Angulon IIRC, which looked a whole lot better than my PC-Nikkor 28/4, but was a bit unaffordable :frown:. These lenses behave as a normal and a short telephoto on FF, not really to my liking. I wouldn't mind if Schneider came up with a kick-ass 14mm shift as their first MFT entry!

17. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I've based myself on the Photozone review. Their sample was outrageously sharp, but distortion is really awful. Even in many landscape shots this will surely be objectionable.

18. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    The Kipon adapter arrived this evening, here I elaborate on my disappointment. MFT shift lens dream shattered.:sad010: Have to start saving seriously now for some Canon stuff, only 4000 euros to go :mad:.