According to this popular blogger, M43 sensor is 60% smaller than APS-C. Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
DigiLloyd is kind of like Ren Kockwell in that he has a face of a very punchable person with a mouth that is even more punchable:
They're both shills.
DL however likes to hide behind his paywall. KR is a blantant shill and everyone with a brain knows this.

I recommend ignoring both of them. Take note of how they both are pathetic portfolios of images and then go look at an actual photographer like Ming Thein or Robin Wong (Olympus employee or not, the proof is in the photos.)

Matero

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So how is 65% bigger at the same time 40% smaller? I really should have paid attention during math.
Well, my English might not be good enough to explain :frown:

But easy samples:

How many percent larger is 100 than 50? (100-50)/50 x 100% = 100%

How many percent smaller is 50 than 100? (100-50)/100 x 100% = 50%

So it depends which way you're calculating. 50% of 100 equals 100% of 50. Easy :smile:

Reesebass

Mu-43 Regular
And notice how both don't allow any comments, for obvious reasons. Kockwell makes thousands per day for his crap and still begs money lol.

Reesebass

Mu-43 Regular
Well, my English might not be good enough to explain :frown:

But easy samples:

How many percent larger is 100 than 50? (100-50)/50 x 100% = 100%

How many percent smaller is 50 than 100? (100-50)/100 x 100% = 50%

So it depends which way you're calculating. 50% of 100 equals 100% of 50. Easy :smile:
Same here, im from Estonia.

Thanks for the explanation. Duh, im really dumb at math. For micro four thirds to look good, it's always better to say mft sensor is 35% smaller, not APS/C is 65% bigger.

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
Here's the bottom line relative to High ISO performance and resolution:

From a 1 inch sensor to a 4/3 sensor of similar technology generation, you EITHER gain slightly less than 1 f-stop of sensitivity, or a ~60% increase in resolution, or some tradeoff between the two.
From a 4/3 sensor to an APS-C sensor of similar technology generation, you EITHER gain slightly less than 1 f-stop of sensitivity, or a ~60% increase in resolution, or some tradeoff between the two.
From an APS-C sensor to a full frame sensor of similar technology generation, you EITHER gain slightly less than 1 f-stop of sensitivity, or a ~60% increase in resolution, or some tradeoff between the two.

Whether any of those High ISO gains or resolution gains matter to you, or are dominated by the larger size tradeoff is completely a matter of individual choice.

For me, the 4/3 sensor, in conjunction with the lenses and bodies offered in the Micro 4/3 sensor system, presently represents an optimal tradeoff. If I were to go anywhere from here, it would probably be to SMALLER sensor like a that in the Sony RX10 - but I would need a body that was more ergonomically optimized for still shooting rather than video as the RX10 seems to me to be, and the loss of depth of field control would be significant for a fixed lens camera.

If I was shooting two page magazine spreads and being paid for it, I would almost certainly be shooting full frame (if not medium format).

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
DigiLloyd is kind of like Ren Kockwell in that he has a face of a very punchable person with a mouth that is even more punchable:
They're both shills.
DL however likes to hide behind his paywall. KR is a blantant shill and everyone with a brain knows this.

I recommend ignoring both of them. Take note of how they both are pathetic portfolios of images and then go look at an actual photographer like Ming Thein or Robin Wong (Olympus employee or not, the proof is in the photos.)
Honestly, I don't think KR is a shill. He's an idiot, for sure, but I don't see him as a shill.

b_rubenstein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Damn, did my calculations, the guy is right! So is wikipedia wrong by stating that "its area, ca. 220 mm², is approximately 30% less than the APS-C sensors used in other manufacturers' DSLRs."
Did you read my post above where I wrote that the difference in % depends on whether you go from big to little or little to big?

The good news is your parents are entitled for a refund on your education.

50orsohours

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Did you read my post above where I wrote that the difference in % depends on whether you go from big to little or little to big?

In that part of the world, education was free in the past. So no money back.

darosk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Daros
So how many more percent should I give a **** about what some choice idiot on the internet says? Want to make sure I get my math right.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Frank
Lol you guys are awful.

No matter what I've read, my E-M1 seems to help me make better pictures than my 7D.
So I take MORE pictures and enjoy the process more. I swear this camera can practically focus in the dark.

And hey, after spending the day at the Ripley's Aquarium in Toronto with my wife, I'm glad I'm not toting an APS-C or FF dslr anymore. Some of the people (mostly adults that didn't have children in tow) were absolutely rediculous getting their cameras in the way.

Baimei

Mu-43 Regular
Personally, I dislike the 3:2 format. After many years with medium format and large format cameras, I really prefer composing on either a more squared or a more panoramic format than 3:2. I think its actually one of the worst formats to use . Composition is more difficult, especially for portraits. Plus, wide landscapes look better to me with a more panoramic format, like 9:16 or wider. Therefore, I wind up cropping 3:2 sensor images to 4:3 most of the time whereas with a mft camera, I can use the whole sensor. This results in less of an advantage for APS S cameras for me. Sensor area becomes 224.9 on the mft vs 321.2 instead of 369.72 on the APS C once its cropped to 4:3. I used both formats till recently, along with FF. I sold my APS C stuff because now I have a clear cut choice whether to go compact or carry the big cameras and lenses. I found that with all three formats, I was either using micro four thirds or full frame and not much APS C. In addition, when looking at the results from mft vs APS C, they are very close for what I shoot, so its not worth the effort to carry the larger gear.

Reesebass

Mu-43 Regular

Well that's embarrassing, i might have missed that post. Anyway it's perfectly clear now, cheers. Got confused between the 65% and the 30% on the wiki. At first I calculated % from APS-C to M43 and completely forgot the rules of percentage. And they say that the education in Estonia is one of the best in the world, doesn't seem that way when it comes to this thread lol.

yekimrd

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mikey
there's not a linear relationship between sensor size and IQ (however you measure it);
I think this has been the best answer I've heard thus far with regards to IQ benefit with larger sensors. Does a larger sensor yield better IQ? The short answer is always going to be a yes. However, with that said, the constant debate lies in whether the difference is significant enough to outweigh the value of portability. This really does boil down to individual preference/opinion. For some, it is. But for most, it won't matter, especially since with better and better tech in the newer crop sensors, the margin between FF/APS-C/MFT really is getting slimmer and slimmer.

yekimrd

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mikey
I think you should keep your trolling and blatant links to a crappy paysite to dpreview.
agree with zapatista, can anyone send the troll away please?
I personally like giving people the benefit of the doubt. The OP posted a question about another's (internet blogger's) opinion, so how is that trolling? You can as easily ignore the post. :smile:

Besides, bhupinder did this all the time just to stir up a lively debate (which often turned ugly hehe). He clearly is a micro four thirds ****** so we know he's not trolling(and Bhup, I mean that with the sincerest of compliments).

P.S. To the OP, the numbers are supposed to read opposite. Micro four thirds is 33% smaller.

arctic_rogue

Mu-43 Regular
What?

So you folks really are serious when you say that my new E-M1 has a sensor that is smaller than FF? Dang, i just sold my 5DII only 3 hours ago! :happy-084:

Even though I've been totally happy with my E-M1 images over the last couple of days, I'll have to jump back to FF because the E-M1 sensor isn't big enough. LOL :)

Reesebass

Mu-43 Regular
I personally like giving people the benefit of the doubt. The OP posted a question about another's (internet blogger's) opinion, so how is that trolling? You can as easily ignore the post. :smile:

Besides, bhupinder did this all the time just to stir up a lively debate (which often turned ugly hehe). He clearly is a micro four thirds ****** so we know he's not trolling(and Bhup, I mean that with the sincerest of compliments).

P.S. To the OP, the numbers are supposed to read opposite. Micro four thirds is 33% smaller.
Yep, micro four thirds is about 35% smaller than APS-C. But if one want's m43 to look bad, then one can say APS-C is about 65% larger than micro four thirds. Both are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom