1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Accidentally shot manual--OM-D saved me

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by MAubrey, Jan 19, 2013.

1. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I accidentally shot this photo in manual--the dial on my camera got bumped in my bag from aperture priority. I had a manual lens on it--a Voigtlander 35mm f/2.5--so the aperture was already wide open, but the shutter speed was set to 1/60 in a dark church at ISO200. And because the evf just brightened up, I didn't notice until after I took the picture.

_C210283-2.

If I had been using my old G2 (now sold), this image would have been lost, but having 12 stops of DR at base ISO really helps alot:

_C210283.

In any case, I switched my lens to the 20mm f/1.7 and got this at base ISO at 1/6 of a second with no shadow pushing required.

_C210284.

• Like Like x 2
  2. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Image links on livefilestore not working, here at least :frown:

3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Oops! I forgot to put them in a public folder...just a moment...should be fixed now.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's a lot of detail you recovered!

This is one reason I'm strongly against mode dials, at least those without interlocks. They inevitably change when I'm not using the camera. The XZ-1 is probably the worst I've seen, but the E-M5 changes occasionally too.

5. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    I've had that occur, too, only it was because I forgot I had left it in manual mode. But, as you demonstrate, there's still hope for those shots in many cases.

6. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    It's only happened a few times, most of the time I'm shooting landscape, so its a simple fix and re-shoot. These sorts of ever changing people pictures make it a bit more of a challenge, but I continue to be impressed with how much of a step forward the OM-D is compared to previous μ43 cameras.

7. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I don't have problems with the mode dial, the dial i have issues with is the one I have set for exposure compensation. Usually it's when I'm shooting with the grip and have forgotten to lock the buttons, and for some strange reason it always is + exposure, never - exposure. :)

8. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Good thing the OM-D does well with highlight recovery!

• Like Like x 1