Accidental GF1 love...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RogerM, Jun 10, 2016.

1. RogerM

RogerM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2016
    En Zed
    Hi all.
    I'm a Nikon Dslr shooter (love the old D300), but I'm poor so I buy and sell to fund my gear and to make $ on the side.
    Well I bought a GF1 (a white one btw :)) with the 20mm pancake for cheap knowing I could resell the lens for a profit and thinking I'd use the camera on my nikon microscope adapter (nice big liveview screen).
    So took a few pictures with it a before listing the lens...I guess many of you know the rest!
    I sold instead my old D200 nikon (I'll probably get a second D300 next year, since they're getting so cheap) and our S95 canon p&s.
    What a great camera and lens combo; so much fun,the lens is incredible (I see why it's still worth good $) and the raw files are excellent. I took it to a poultry show with dodgy lighting and got plenty of 'keepers'.
    I think I now have a second system.

game bantam copy.

• Like Like x 6
  2. AgentMichaelScarn

AgentMichaelScarn Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    You'd also like the Olympus E-PM2 - the sensor is mostly on par with current gen, and you get 2-axis IBIS. ~$150-200 on Amazon/eBay.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I know how you feel about the GF1 ... I sold one and then bought another because I missed it.

If you use RAW you can pull a lot more out of it than just the JPG engine. I've had very pleasing results using RawTherapee for processing the images (but of course if youre using Photoshop don't change).

It really does excell with the 20mm and also with the 14mm pancake. Actually plopping on the 45f1.7 does a great job of making it a very versatile travel camera.

It represents a bang for buck that you just can't improve on ... because to get that extra few bits of this or that you'll be spending hundreds or even perhaps a thousand. Will you see that in the images? I doubt it.

Myself I've never been so fond of the IBIS because there is only a narrow band of exposures where it makes a difference and if you're photographing people then neither OIS or IBIS can help with the person moving.

P1110692moved.

Enjoy
    :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. AgentMichaelScarn

May 27, 2016
    That's true about IBIS, but not to get too technical, an almost current M43 sensor like the one on the E-PM2 can be pushed to ~3200 ISO and still look good with the right noise reduction.

Not sure what OP's other lenses are, but I'd recommend the 12-32 (even the plastic mount version would be fine) for a midrange zoom.

5. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    It's true, buying on a sub-$200 budget is a real challenge except in :mu43:. Heck you can buy G3 bodies for under $100 here now and then, my brother still loves his - and he was a serious SLR user back in the days when film was fab ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    that chicken is *still* staring at me ...

• Like Like x 1
  7. AgentMichaelScarn

May 27, 2016
  8. RogerM

RogerM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2016
    En Zed
    The chunky form is nice too, using little soap-bar point and shoots was always a bit suboptimal even though the wee canon could fit even into my skinny pants.
    For my raw files there are plenty of cheap and free options as I'm on a mac (Photos, Preview, Aperture etc).
    ... Fear the chicken! :).

9. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    The exact same thing (accidental GF1 love, not poultry galore ;)) happened to me. I got one dirt cheap, more out of curiosity than anything else - and was hooked almost immediately. It's not my primary camera by a long shot, but the GF1 with the 20mm is a capable and, above all, highly enjoyable combo to shoot. When my E-PM1 refused to work, the GF1 took its place as a small everyday camera with ease - it's actually the more versatile camera and offers superior handling (switch-on time is about half that of the E-PM1!). btw. I leave the EVF I got with the package attached at all times - it's a lot coarser than the Olympus VF-2, but also smaller and less obstrusive. It's got its quirks, but it makes framing in bright light a lot easier.

That said, since the E-PM1 was resurrected (the stuck shutter become unstuck when I used the oldest recipe known to mankind: Hit it in the right place ...), I'm back to carrying that camera because it's smaller, and though its I.B.I.S. is somewhat limited, when used carefully, it still helps.

M.

10. RogerM

RogerM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2016
    En Zed
    Just a final shot to round it off if that's ok.
    (chicken lovers of the world unite :))

P1120320.

• Like Like x 3
  11. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    I have just purchased this combo -- GF1 and 20mm f1.7. Waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Purchased for the lens as it was a good buy and the camera comes with it YAY. Now I purchased the lens as I wanted it for my EM1 to make a small package in a bum bag. Was looking at the Panasonic 12-32 but I know I will hate the variable aperture so I thought i'd try this pancake lens and see if it works for me. Seeing I get the camera as well I might just see how it goes as the combo would be even smaller. Hoping the image quality is good enough as an everyday have with me camera. Will post my thoughts on the combo when I have received it and had a play. Cheers

12. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I got one cheap too a few years back.
    Lovely cam.
    Very compact, tactile and has instinctive controls.
    Mine has a problem where the first shot is often black and I sometimes forget that.
    I still use my em5 more often but occasionally the gf1 gets some love.
    Mine is silver and may pick up a black one as they're so affordable .

13. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Camera and Lens arrived yesterday. Both spotless and like brand new. Camera actuations less than 3,500.
    Lens is very sharp
    Love the build of the body, nice and solid, but I doubt I will use it often so I'm going to move the body on.
    Prefer having a EVF and touch screen.