1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Accessories for a new G5 and a micro 4/3 beginner?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Marine Paethor, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Marine Paethor

Marine Paethor Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    Oregon
    Donny
    I just placed my order for my new G5, and since it is my first move from point-and-shoot to the next level, I just want to double check my planned accessory purchases, and get a few recommendations?

What type, if any, of filters should I buy?

Should a 16G Class 10 SDHC card be adequate? It looks like I can get around 800-1000 pictures on it if I shhot in RAW, more in JPEG.

Can anyone recommend a good bag for the G5, preferably one that's somewhat budget friendly? At this point I'll have the body, the 14-42mm lens, and the 45-150mm lens. I plan to pick up a prime once I build a bit more discretionary funds back up.

Can anyone recommend a good tripod for the G5?

Is there anything else I should look at right from the start other than what I've already mentioned?

Thank you very much for any thoughts and suggestions you can offer.

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Should a 16G Class 10 SDHC card be adequate? It looks like I can get around 800-1000 pictures on it if I shhot in RAW, more in JPEG.
    This is fine fr a couple of days shooting. in any case SD cards are cheap.
    The class is important for video and burst shooting

Can anyone recommend a good bag for the G5, preferably one that's somewhat budget friendly? At this point I'll have the body, the 14-42mm lens, and the 45-150mm lens. I plan to pick up a prime once I build a bit more discretionary funds back up.
    This is very personal. i suggest that you go to a shop with your gear and check bags.

Can anyone recommend a good tripod for the G5?
    This depends on your budget and needs. One advantage of the :43: is that the camera lens combo is lite. Many of us use travel tripods with a quick release. I use the Slik travel and it is fine for me. It cost around 100$

Is there anything else I should look at right from the start other than what I've already mentioned?
    You should get with the tripod a remote release. The one sold on Ebay for 4$ do the work. A polarizer filter can do magic in landscape photography. ND filter is also useful. And most important get an additional battery, this is the most important accessory you get.

3. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Congrats on your purchase! I want a G5 too after seeing the recent price drops, to supplement my E-PM2 which I love, but the handling leaves a lot to be desired, esp with long lenses.

4. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Lightroom or Aperture, and NIK Silver Efx Pro.

5. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    ^^ +1 forgot about this

6. kanasgowatom

kanasgowatom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Camera accessories

I would strongly recommend a good, comfortable, fully adjustable strap. One that allows you to release the strap from the camera, for tripod use, is a fine option.

Tom Franzson. Brevard. NC