1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Accessing NR in EPL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by twmangrove, Aug 3, 2011.

1. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    Hi folks,
    I'm feeling rather dim but I cannot figure out how to access the NR option in the PL1 menu system. I know how to get into the super menu and all, but when you scroll down to noise reduction, it's the only option not highlighted -doesn't seem to matter which shooting mode I'm in.
    Thanks for any assistance.

2. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Make sure you enable the extended menu (wrench icon -> Menu Display -> ON)

Once you've done that, go to the extended menu -> G -> NOISE REDUCT -> OFF/ON/AUTO

Note there's also G -> NOISE FILTER -> OFF/LOW/STANDARD/HIGH

You'll want to keep the NOISE REDUCT at Auto or On. That's actually noise reduction via dark frame subtraction.

What most people think noise reduction is (that smearing on high iso) is NOISE FILTER on the Oly. You can turn it off (I keep it at Low).

• Like Like x 1
  3. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    Did all that, still no luck

Hi and thanks for the reply.
    I've done all that however, and still the option for noise reduction is unaccessable. It sits at the top of submenu G with no way to access it. Pressing the up/down buttons goes right past it, either to the next submenu or onto noise filter.

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I'm having the same problem - the option in "G" is grayed out and won't let me access it. Anyone have any ideas?:confused:

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    OK - answered my own question - it helps to read the manual. Noise reduction is automatically turned off with "sequential shooting". Set the camera to single shot and the menu item was accessible. :thumbup:

6. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    D'oh

Oh, so much for paying attention. Thanks for that - I figured it was something simple I was missing.