1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Accents of a 1964 Studebaker

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by edwardconde, May 15, 2013.

1. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    8736653403_719c2587c2_b.
    I recently photographed a 1964 Studebaker. It was parked at my office. We have very tight spaces, so getting a fully body shot was not happening. So what I ended shooting were the accents of the car.

8737790540_521e7b5126_b.

8737785700_dc164e19ba_b.

More images and a complete run down on the processing can be found on my blog @ Digital Chemicals...: 15Min Shoot: Accents of the Studebaker

Images were shot with the E-PM1 + Olympus 45mm f1.8 and processed with Snapseed for iOS.

2. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    Wow!

P.s. Which editing apps do you use?

3. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    A yellow one

Nice shots, nice car.

I attended an event recently and there was a stunning orange Studebaker on display, I know nothing about them othere than the fact this was immaculate and had obviously had a lot of care and attention on it to bring it back into pristine condition.

Not even sure how old it was but suspect the 60's, I did grab this image of it

Studebaker.

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Actually, that looks like a 1950 Studebaker Champion... company's first post-war design.

https://www.google.com/search?q=195...UMe3k4AO60oCQCA&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=672

And Eddie's original post looks like a 1964 Studebaker Daytona - a redesign of the Lark.

https://www.google.com/search?q=196...SAeih4AOg9YHgDQ&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=672

Nice work by all.

5. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I went based on the year marked on the tail lights. The side marker said cruiser.
    Very cool!

6. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I used snapseed on my iPad. In my blog post I go into details on what I did in my post processing.

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Sweeeet! Good choice to go B&W. :thumbup:

8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Very cool. Challenger, Commander, Daytona and Cruiser were basically names for different trim levels of the same basic car. But it was a good-looking piece.

9. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Nicely done, thanks!

10. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Nice images, but it's hard to believe that very nondescript design came from the same company that produced such striking designs as the Champion (seen above), the Hawk series and the Avanti.

I guess that might explain why the company went out of business just a couple years after this car was produced.

11. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Actually, the reasons Studebaker went out of business have more to do with poor management than anything else. I am not anti-labor by any means but Studebaker's management signed contracts that allowed their labor costs to be significantly higher than any of its competition in Detroit. I also understand that pilfering by employees has a major problem.

As for the forward-thinking designs, we may love them now but they may have been just a bit too far ahead of their time when they were introduced - at least in terms of mainstream sales.

Studebaker closed its South Bend, Indiana plant after the 1964 model year. Cars were made in their Hamilton, Ontario, plant for another two years - with engines from Chevrolet. After the 1966 model year, Studebaker stopped making cars but never went out of business.

In 1967, Studebaker and its diversified units were merged with Wagner Electric. Later that year, Studebaker was merged with the Worthington Corporation to form Studebaker-Worthington Inc. The Studebaker name disappeared in 1979, when McGraw-Edison acquired Studebaker-Worthington. McGraw-Edison was itself purchased in 1985 by Cooper Industries, which sold off its auto-parts divisions to Federal-Mogul some years later.

12. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Thanks for the history lesson. I knew when I wrote it that my statement on their design leading to the company's downfall was a gross oversimplification.

When I think of Studebaker, I think of interesting design. This third-gen (I think) Lark here doesn't seem to have any of the Studebaker panache and were it not for the hood ornament I would have a difficult time distinguishing it from a mid-60's Ford Falcon or Dodge Dart.

13. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    You're absolutely right. After about 1960, the company simply didn't have enough money for new platform development and kept turning out warmed-over designs. The Avanti was the big exception (but even that was built on a modified Lark chassis). And that beautiful car was a desperate, last-ditch effort to create a "halo" product. In the end, it was just too late. A pity, because Studebakers were actually good cars that included a lot of features found in European cars of the time. No doubt because Studebaker was the official importer of Mercedes-Benz's for a number of years.

14. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    What a history lesson... Thanks all!!!

15. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ugly car IMHO! However I love the shots you took. Very nicely done and processed. Snapseed is great.

16. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    A few more I shot today with my Fisheye Lens...

8747509885_0540763e64_b.

8747510401_a813147fb0_b.

8748633800_693cc406ec_b.

17. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Very nice work! Well done!