1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Accelerometer and auto rotate

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by yaderhey, Aug 17, 2012.

1. yaderhey

yaderhey Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2012
    Perhaps this had been discussed, but does my E-PL3 really lack the ability to auto rotate photos to the correct orientation? I think my first digital camera could do this in 1999. Is there a fix in the works?

2. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Well we don't really know the reason why Olympus not incude orientation sensor in their EPL- series beside cutting cost. But the only way you can remedy the problem is either you buy the EP-X / OM-D series or do it in editing software. The different but related problem also happen in Panasonic auto orientation. It only works with their OIS lens or GX-1 and G5.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Since this is a hardware issue there is no fix possible. You can either rotate the images in post processing or try a different camera. I think Oly did this to help differentiate between the E-PL3 and the E-P3. :rolleyes:

4. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    In fact, any camera with IS (and therefore having an accelerometer) could determine its orientation, if it is implemented in software.

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    That may be true (sure sounds reasonable to me), but I would be shocked if Olympus offered a firmware "fix" for this any time soon. To me, the omission of an orientation sensor was more a marketing decision than a technical one on Olympus' part. I feel it was done to differentiate the E-PLx line from the E-Px line. That said, given that all of the recent Panny bodies (including the "entry level" GF5 now offer this feature, I would be surprised if Olympus continues to exclude it from future offerings.

6. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    DeeJayK, absolutely agree.

7. yaderhey

yaderhey Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2012
    This is still crazy to me. For a $600 "prosumer" camera not to have a basic feature that my oldest, cheapest cameras (and camera phones) have had since the cheap Kodak Easy Share point and shoot I bought in 2003, is a little beyond me. Yes, I can manipulate in post-processing, but when downloading 200 images from a card, that's an awful lot of rotating. It's a glaring omission from an otherwise really nice camera.

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Agree competely, but there you go.

9. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Sorry am i misreading something or i really don't understand the question.

Ive got the OMD and everytime i shoot a portrait (image) the camera automatically turns the image while checking on the lcd (as landscape mode), and i hate that, cause it doesnt fill the screen. I like to see every image as a landscape in the lcd and i, personally, turn physically the camera into portrait if a portrait photo is being shown on the screen.

Is that what you're saying?. If it helps the 5DMKII didnt had this option again, and you had to go into the menu and rotate each image if you wanted to do so. and thats a $2k+ body only camera....

sorry if this is not what's been talking in this thread...

10. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I always thought of the PL series was lower-end consumer camere (doesn't the "L" stand for low-end):

From Olympus PEN E-PL1 Compact System Camera - Full Review
    "The Olympus E-PL1's basic specs are quite similar to the P2, with a few omissions and a few additions to make the camera better suited for the consumer market."

What makes you call it a prosumer camera? Being an interchangeable lens camera vs the Kodak p&s you mentioned doesn't make it a prosumer camera. As a stripped down model, some features are left off...otherwise how can the price of the higher-end models be justified?

11. yaderhey

yaderhey Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2012
    Because it's a $600 camera that shoots in RAW, ISO to 12800, a big sensor and has the capability for interchangeable lenses. You can't possibly call the E-PL3 a lower end consumer camera. Although even the lowest end consumer cameras have an orientation sensor.

12. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Compared to other PENs, the PL series is lower-end! Isn't that what the "L" in E-PLx is for?

13. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Actually, what you're experiencing is a frustration of a camera WITH an orientation sensor. This thread is bemoaning the opposite problem...a camera which LACKS an orientation sensor (such as the E-PLx series).

Since the OM-D has such a sensor it automatically rotates the photos (both in the camera and on your computer after they're imported). I can see how the camera auto-rotating pics when you are reviewing on the display could be annoying. You should be able to turn off this behavior by going to the Playback menu and turning off the icon with the little rotating picture (see page 70 or 111 in the manual for details).