1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Abusing the O9-18 with step-up rings and a filter stack

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dancebert, Feb 29, 2016.

1. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    The package of filters and step-up rings arrived too late in the day for any serious evaluation, so I got silly. The 3 filters (a circular polarizer and 2 NDs) are 62mm for my O12-40. Step-up rings are inexpensive but Cir-PL filters are not. To use the Cir-PL on other lenses I bought a 58-62mm for the O40-150 and a 52-58mm for the P14-45. Tomorrow I'll start testing to see how wide I can go on each 3 lenses with various filter combos.

But today was play time. Behold, the vignetting of 2 step-up rings plus 3 filters on the O9-18:

Vignette Slices 2.

Useless, as expected.

2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    A single 52-62 and the C-PL would probably still be workable, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I wouldn't shoot a CPL any wider than 12mm due to cross polarization. You could use ND filters for long exposures though. And yes, just buy a single 52-62 step up ring, as you're simply wasting valuable real estate by using multiple step up rings.

4. Underwater

Underwater Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2014
    Eugene, Oregon
    Paul
    I shot the 9-18 with a 52-62 step up ring and two filters with no vignetting. The thickness of the filter will also affect how far you can stack before the corners black out.

5. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    I bought the C-PL for three lenses. None of them go wider than 12mm. Yes, I used it on the O9-18. I suggest rereading the OP, paying particular attention to the sentences ending in 'play time' and 'silly'.

6. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    I didn't buy these filters for the O9-18. Yes, I used them on it. I suggest rereading the OP, paying particular attention to the sentences ending in 'play time' and 'silly'.

7. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I mentioned not using the CPL because Turbofrog stated it in his post. Also, no where in your post did you explicitly mentioned that you did not plan to use the CPL with the 9-18 (you may want to add that comment next time rather than relying on such childish terms as "silly" or "play time").

In reading your OP, you also mention that you bought two ND filters, which can be used on UWA lenses (and if you read my entire post, you'd see that I mention the ability to use ND filters to take long exposures). But, when selectively reading somebody's post, you're more apt to point out what you feel is incorrect and make snarky responses rather than actually reading the entire post and taking it in collectively.

Unless you want to be treated like a child, don't talk like one...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Underwater

Underwater Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2014
    Eugene, Oregon
    Paul
    I posted what I did not for you, but for others who might stumble on this thread and think that you can't stack filters. Thanks for playing along...

• Like Like x 1
  9. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    This is a fun thread :hide:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    I understand why the hypersensitive response. It's from the same place as the 1% who cite or respond to The Onion, America's Finest News Source, as if it were a news source.

11. Don't attempt to have any fun on the internet. You'll ruin it for everybody else. :rolleyes:

12. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Next time show pictures of what happens if you use step-down rings to use a 42mm filter on the O9-18. That should get the message across. Although, be sure to use an ND filter so no one gets offended by Polarizers on ultra wides.
    :popcorm2::popcorm2::popcorm2: