1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Abstracts - Need help for class

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by db96, Sep 5, 2012.

1. db96

db96 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I am currently taking a class with Indy Photo Coach. Assignment this week was abstacts. I would love to have some feedback on any of the following shots before I choose which one to take to class. Of course we were told to bring our best one to class, not our favorite! (making it much more difficult)
    All are taken with a G3 & 14-140 lens.

classabstract-81.

classabstract-92.

classabstract-7.

classabstract.

[​IMG]

classabstract-41.

classabstract-61.

• Like Like x 2
  2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I like #6 the best, cool flow and color and I have no idea what it is so I guess that qualifies as abstract :biggrin:

I also like #2 and #3 but I'm not sure if the third one is abstract enough for the assignment (guess it depends on how you define abstract) - though I like the whole 'caged bird' theme. For #2 you might crop in a little bit to cut out that rivet or whatever the circular part is, and further emphasize the repeating pattern.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    i like #3 with the bird "inside" the cage :)

though I agree with jloden, I don't know what #6 is. either a vase or a ballister

4. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I like them all, but just to mix things up a bit, my preference is for number 4. Great reflections, shape & form, repetition, diagonals, great tonal range and good use of rule of thirds...

Which one do YOU like the best?!? Keep us posted which one takes home the prize.

Thanks for sharing!

W

5. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I love looking at great pictures just to admire someone with a talent, I think they are all excellent.
    I can't pick a single best one because they are all so different and unique so can't help you with your dilemma but can say what great abstracts they all are.

Thanks for showing them.

Paul

6. drp

drp Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Virginia, USA
    David
    #6 - because I have no idea what it is. I just like the flow of lines, color and light.

7. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    I'd say numbers 1 and 6 have the best potential, but would maybe try a different crop or angle on them.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    They're all well-chosen, and I think any would do for the assignment. Personally I find #4 the most compelling - it's abstract enough to baffle the eye initially, but with enough context to still have a vague sense of what is actually pictured.

DH

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - There's a lot of cool things going on in this one, I really had to look at it awhile to see what it actually was. The reflections are excellent. The background color is well saturated and the composition is interesting. :smile: