About Turn ? - FF back to Fuji and M43

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
I bought into the Nikon FF Z system late in 2020 in order to have a better system for low light local evening Speedway events and to generally try out FF
My local Speedway has been cancelled for 2021 - likely for various reasons never to return :(
It was a very sad day when this was announced as I was privileged to be an official photographer at the track for the past two years with enhanced access to the infield and very close proximity to the bikes speeding past during the races and practice sessions

Being left with less critical need for FF telephoto and finding the Z 70-200 f2.8 to be too big for general use and with the prospect of using it for extended use on days at race tracks being unattractive (when considering the reach per pound so to speak) - I have now sold the lens
Luckily I got my money back due to having purchased at a big discount
I was prepared to put up with the size of the 70-200 for the purpose of maximising image quality and low light for Speedway but the compromise did not balance out once the Speedway and the requirement for low light was taken away from the equation

Ive now purchased a Fuji XT4 and a 50-140 f2.8 with 1.4 TC funded by the sale of the 70-200 and the sale of my Fuji XS10.

I managed to get both the XT4 and the 50-140 f2.8 on great discounted deals at the recent Photography Show (U.K.) online through L.C.E. and combined with a £250 Fuji Cashback deal for buying the lens with an XT4 I saved several hundred of £s

I really fell in love with the direct controls of my XT3 and with plans changing for this year I realised that Fuji was the best system for my use with Motorsports as the system is a very good compromise between physical size (lenses) and image quality/sensor size/low light capability.
I also found that focussing with Motorsports was very reliable
I will be retaining my PL200 f2.8 for longer focal lengths and recently bought a 1.4 TC to give me extended reach.
I still have a Nikon Z6 and 24-70 which I may retain as the issue was with the size of the 70-200 not the camera system.
It will still be handy to have a system for lower light situations

I also have an Olympus 12-100 f4.0 - currently on its way for Warranty repair ? if approved - which I will retain as a Motorsports and general use lens

With Covid restrictions to be reduced / lifted in the U.K. in the coming months I’m very much looking forward to getting back to the tracks and am booked for the weekend at MotoGP Silverstone, weekend at WSB, Donington and BSB Thruxton (my nearest BSB event)
Will hopefully be able to get to some other events as I’m determined to make up for lost time last year and make the most of the opportunities in 2021

My back injuries have eased off lately so am reasonably confident about making it to these events and being able to shoot again (the Nikon 70-200 would probably have been a step too far size and weight wise for my back for extended all day use - something that it wasn't really purchased for)

Last edited:

Kae1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
I realised that Fuji was the best system for my use with Motorsports as the system is a very good compromise between physical size (lenses) and image quality/sensor size/low light capability.

I like reading about your experiences with other systems especially in relation to motorsports. Renting an alternative system for a few days / week is always an option but it does not allow the same experience as using the equipment under normal circumstances over a longer period - plus if you can do that at minimum financial loss that's great.?

Whilst I can see the weight per focal length advantage of Fuji lenses over a FF system, I wonder what you feel are the benefits of the Fuji system over the m4/3 system. I recall that in the past you've used most of the high end m4/3 telephoto lenses and also tried the Fuji system but reverted to m4/3 with both the EM1X and EM1iii. I would be interested to know what you feel are the benefits of the Fuji system - is it autofocus speed or accuracy? or is it better/different IQ SOOC? or the handling of the camera? or balance of the camera/lens? or just personal preference?

I’m determined to make up for lost time last year and make the most of the opportunities in 2021

My back injuries have eased off lately so am reasonably confident about making it to these events and being able to shoot again

It's great to hear that your back injuries are improving and that you are getting more optimistic about the motorsport opportunities in 2021 - whilst I'm not yet counting down the days there does appear to be at least some light at the end of the tunnel?

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Glad to see you are saving some of us from having to try out other systems :)
My mu-43 kit is complete for what I want need now
I am glad you keep coming back to Fuji as i hope to dip my toes into that system at the end of this year if I can save some funds, proably XT-4 and one lens. Since they dont make a one stop solution like the Oly 12-100 or Pany 14-140 i am not sure what zoom to get. I use the long end mostly and do not really like the Fuji 18-135, looks a bit soft to me. Anyway plenty of time to look into that.

If you dont mind me asking what happened to uour Oly 12-100 as i have not heard of any problems with that one yet

Last edited:

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Reading your tales of system churn is like watching a soap opera (not that I've done that for about the last 25 years) :)

jhawk1000

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mel
I still use m43, APC, and full-frame. I have an ancient Nikon D2X which I use for daylight baseball and football. It shoots very fast and focuses quickly. I can do sequence photography with it, Only problem is the weight.
I use a D750 for portraits and light painting. I use a Fuji S2 Pro for the beautiful color when I need saturated color.
The Olympus cameras, OMD EM10, 2 EM-1s, EM 5ii, EM-1 ii, for most everything else with the EM10 being a lightweight travel camera. I have a Panasonic G5 which is lightweight and is good for travel. The EPL-1 is a go-everywhere camera that has great color and is not an enormous loss if stolen or broken.
I am still contemplating a Medium Format film camera which is brand new in the box and never used Mamiya RB 67 with 127mm 3.8 lens and 120 holder with waistlevel finder for $800.00. A pro photographer had 5 of them and this one just never got used and he recently passed and his estate has it for sale for the $800. They are also willing to negotiate. Do I need it? No! Do I want it? You bet!

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
The XS10 had my interest the most due to the gripped body and programmable dials, so you trading off for the more traditional FUJI form-factor is informative. Was it just the classic layout that convinced you to switch?

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Considerable saving in size and weight between the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 and the Fuji 50-140 f2.8 which I previously had with my XT3 https://camerasize.com/compact/#761,841.621,795.866,ha,t
The difference is even more pronounced in reality
Fuji 1093 Grammes Nikon Z 1440 Grammes

6E10ADF8-595B-49DB-B167-CB14C349F9CD.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Thanks for the questions and comments above which I will try to answer in a single post :2thumbs:

Firstly I want to clarify that I am only ‘changing back‘ from Nikon telephoto to Fuji because of the sad and almost certainly permanent cancellation of my local Speedway events ?

I have not rejected the Nikon Z system - on the contrary I really rate the system. I would have been very happy to use the 70-200 for the evening speedway events as they began at 19.00 and finished at about 21.30
This was to be my most regular of events taking place weekly between Spring and September - all during the evening
These events being local and having official photographer status and access, would have been my highest priority with regard to equipment

I was perfectly happy to deal with the size and weight of the 70-200mm which are considerable, as the rewards would have no doubt been worth it but also the size and weight would have been perfectly manageable at those particular events which were only 21/2 hours long with a break in the middle and plenty of opportunity to sit down and take the weight off

Taking that lens to day long events however when there was no longer a need for the lens for the evening events became unattractive and unnecessary.
I had purchased at a special 20% discount so I will not be losing a significant amount - I have already broken even on the lens itself which has gone - so buying and selling was much better value than renting - it cost me nothing to try out the lens (and the system if I give it up due to prioritising what I can justify keeping)
I’ve yet to decide whether to sell the Z6 and 24-70 f4.0
I would like to keep them as an additional low light kit but I have the dilemma of having too much kit again ?

I should really decide whether to return to a Fuji 100-400 to replace my PL200 f2.8 and 1.4TC - the 100-400 is quite big but perhaps surprisingly is still lighter at 1375g than the Nikon Z70-200 f2.8 at 1440g which puts the weight of the Nikon into perspective ! Like the 50-140 it’s performance especially up to about 360mm was superb albeit that shooting with it is more challenging than with the 50-140

Ive always loved the PL200 and is my all time favourite M43 lens
I had an Olympus 300mm f4.0 last year which ended up unused due to COVID and was sold so the 1.4 TC on the PL gives me near the reach of the Oly without having an additional lens and funds tied up in same
I would like the 2.0 TC but this is poor value at the Panasonic list price especially when taking into account the potential compromise in image quality which usually goes hand in hand with 2.0 TCs

The Fuji 100-400 which is manageable at events due to occasional rather than all day use may be the way to go but I’m doubting whether I can bring myself to sell the PL200 !
Stowing the Fuji between stints of shooting with other lenses/ bodies was also more difficult / less convenient than the PL200 due to its size (a very big lens hood complicating matters in that respect)

So I will almost certainly have both Fuji and M43 systems this year and retaining the Z6 may be too many financial eggs in the basket

With regard to the XS10 I sold this unused having had doubts about it when I got it as it was a more affordable substitute for an XT4 (I wanted the IBIS the XT3 didn’t have) and much more affordable as a second camera to go with the Z system - I couldn’t justify everything financially

With the 70-200 gone though I was back to needing a lens of the same range for closer Motorsports situations and I had been extremely happy with the performance of my previous 50-140 and the ability to adjust aperture on the lens ring which is a big bonus for me and is a (programmable) feature of the Nikon Z System)

I fell in love with the Fuji XT dials when I had my XT3 and is definately my preferred way to adjust parameters - I really love having direct control and visible confirmation of ISO on the dedicated dial.

The left dial on the XS10 is programmeable for ISO but there was no direct confirmation by eye unless you looked through the EVF as you adjusted it

The XS10 also has a single SD card slot and smaller EVF.
The EVF is perfectly useable and better than I suspected it might be but the XT3/4 EVF is much better and more comfortable to use with its protruding rubber eyepiece especially for use as a main ‘Motorsports’ camera as opposed to a smaller second camera which is what the XS10 was actually purchased for - to be used alongside the Z6

The XS10 is a very nice camera but is perhaps more suited to general photography than Motorsports - it feels very much like an EM1/2 size and weight wise.
If I was shooting portraits landscapes etc with smaller lenses I think I would be happier with the XS10. The grip is better than the XT3/4 but I will be getting a metal or battery grip for the XT4.
The battery grip on the XT4 is less attractive than the one for the XT3 as it is bigger and taller than the XT3 version due to the bigger 235 batteries. As the battery life on the XT4 is much better I will have less need for the battery grip (almost essential on the XT3)

I always found the Autofocus very quick and reliable for Motorsports with the XT3 and am obviously assuming that the XT4 will perform similarly if not slightly better - having a floating sensor with IBIS is an unknown with regard to panning shots but I don’t expect this to have a detrimental effect

The keeper rate with the XT3 was much better than on M43 cameras in general but not necessarily better than the EM1X I had and used last year when I got the chance at a very limited number of events

I really enjoyed using the EM1X and it was definately a long way ahead of the EM1/2 I had previously used

However one of the reasons for choosing Fuji is superior image quality over M43 - enough for me to see a significant difference in my shots with more pop and more leeway for processing jpegs (and significantly better low light performance if and when required)

Jpeg quality is another reason for choosing Fuji - I really do not like sitting at a computer and processing.
I dont like dealing with RAWs and don’t even like processing on a laptop anymore as with my Fuji shots I can process quickly and comfortably on my iPad

The best part of the whole process of shooting Motorsports for me is actually being at a circuit being away from everyday life and thinking of nothing but capturing pictures of machines and riders and soaking up the racing atmosphere, the sights and sounds and being around the people
This what I’ve really missed this last year

Unfortunately shooting other genres really doesn’t get my juices going as much as shooting Motorsports for the reasons above and my having grown up as a ‘petrolhead’ racing around on two stroke motorcycles, enjoying driving cars fast and being an avid follower of Motorsports (bikes in particular) - it’s in my blood and nothing else will do !

Processing is just a necessary task to achieve pleasing enough results to publish here and on fb and will never be anything more
Hence the renowned Fuji jpeg colours and pop are valuable to me

When I factor in the jpeg quality, the direct dials, the low light capability, the aperture control and the great image quality with size and weight compromise vs performance the Fuji system simply wins

Last year I had a choice of going with Fuji or M43 as I couldnt (and still can’t) financially justify having an unlimited amount of equipment and options. I went with M43 due in no small part to the EM1X but missed the Fuji system

In an ideal world I would keep all of the options including the Nikon Z70-200 for those situations where I would benefit from it but I have to make choices

I’ve always been a ‘gear head’ in that a substantial part of my enjoyment of photography comes from choosing using and ‘chopping and changing’ my equipment
Searching for discounts to enable to me to do so is also part of the enjoyment and fun.

Buying and trying out different equipment does give me a buzz of excitement

As I always buy at a discount my ‘chopping and changing’ as mentioned by someone above costs me very little with the added bonus that I am able to try out everything I want to try results in more knowledge about what I really enjoy using and what really suits me and I am then able to make a more informed / fully qualified choice at the end of the experiments

Fuji at this point in time wins with M43 a close second

Now if a GH6 and perhaps a new Olympus / OMDigital Solutions model are released in the future with a significantly revised sensor with better performance then everything may change again and I might be on the ‘merry go round’ again chopping and changing once more and favouring M43

For the moment M43 has fallen a bit ‘flat’ with no significant performance gains in recent years and having an unknown future ?

I have a need to do a bit better (in my own mind at least) each year and although the EM1X enabled me to get more M43 Motorsports shots in focus - the Image Quality in some situations still leaves a little bit to be desired - but fingers crossed that this will change

In any case I’m certainly not abandoning M43 - like many say - you have to really love and want to pick up and use your gear - that is the case with both Fuji and M43 and also the Z6 - so I may not yet be able to part with that
I think I’ve now answered most of the queries above but please let me know if you have more
Note to self - shut up now ?
Regards and best wishes to all :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

Last edited:

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
PPS
One issue I had which further affects my choice Fuji vs M43 is that the best focussing M43 body for Motorsports (without a shadow of a doubt) the EM1X - has a fixed / built in grip
The camera is very big imo ( I know some will deny this citing a comparison with various FF bodies) and because the grip is not removable the camera is less well suited to more casual / general use

The XT4 like the EM1/2/3 has an optional battery grip which makes it better imo for more casual use/for other genres and better for stowage in smaller bags with smaller lenses attached

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
PS
@retiredfromlife my Olympus 12-100 is travelling to an ‘Olympus’ repair facility due to strange markings around the periphery of the front elements
Please see my thread
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/strange-marks-12-100-front-lens-element.110767/#post-1459417
Opps i forgot about that thread :doh:

I agree regarding your thoughts about the EM1X size. I nearly purchased one instead of the EM1.3 but the size just put me off as i realised i would never take it anywhere even if it was the best feeling camera in my hands that i have ever tried

Those manual controls are what ddraws me to Fuji, but i will always keep my Mu-43 gear as long as possible for the great all round zoom lenses.

Just wish Fuji mafe a better 18-135

Anyway is has been great reading your thoughts on the varioys systems as they are based on real world usage

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
In case anyone is interested another size comparison
1. XT4 with Fuji 50-140 f2.8 (internal zooming)
2. Nikon Z6 with Z 70-200 f2.8 (internal zooming)
3. XT4 with Fuji 100-400 (external zooming - extends when zoomed out)

8FB75BDF-F247-41B6-94A4-CDADB7FF0045.jpeg

Last edited:

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
I think it's interesting you mentioned the quality and convenience about the Fujifilm jpegs. It is one of the reason why I keep being interested in Fuji: Like you I am not a fan of processing and editing raw files. I enjoy the time taking the pictures, but when I'm back home I often feel overburdened processing the files, even though DXO Photolabs makes things easy, I just like to use what I got.

Over on "another forum" which is digital photography related, I often read comments in the Fuji forum from Fuji users regarding the SooC jpegs being too soft. I was a bit perplexed by such statements as Fuji has a reputation for excellent jpegs. What's your take on this topic?

While I'm at it: I really like their idea and implementation of Film Simulations, like the Pen-F's Color Profiles, I see it as a nice way of boosting creativity and further customize the experience and quality for sooc jpegs. I also recently heard you can now apply the simulations on the Fuji raw files using Lightroom and Capture One, which seems like a great addition.

Last but not least I think it's never a bad idea exploring other systems and options, let alone using two different system to get the best of both worlds. Each system has strengths and weaknesses, so using two of them can be a good way to negate each of them...even though it's financially more challanging.

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Hi @Ghostbuggy
Just a couple of random examples - I don’t personally think they are ‘soft’
they are processed jpegs
SOOC jpegs may be little soft perhaps - I’ve never noticed - but they certainly need little work

6DCC9BD2-94DA-4F06-9B2F-E3569DE2E3FB.jpeg
423A6198-F9FE-4233-B8B4-F06B73DA2B33.jpeg

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Because of Brexit, Olympus repairs are stalled at the moment (repair centre is in Portugal).

The Brexit excuse is wearing thin. That and Covid are the go-to excuses for below par performance. We are approaching 5 years since the Brexit vote and are well over a year in to various Covid lockdowns.

DPD, UK to Ireland, France and Germany is currently 2 working days door-to-door (actual deliveries, not website estimates). UK-Portugal by road is roughly 2-4 days by overland courier, depending which country the particular courier's European hub is located. Unless the consignments become subject to physical examination, then there are no reasons for customs delays prior to inspection/quotation because no monies are due inbound to Portugal.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
The Brexit excuse is wearing thin. That and Covid are the go-to excuses for below par performance. We are approaching 5 years since the Brexit vote and are well over a year in to various Covid lockdowns.

DPD, UK to Ireland, France and Germany is currently 2 working days door-to-door (actual deliveries, not website estimates). UK-Portugal by road is roughly 2-4 days by overland courier, depending which country the particular courier's European hub is located. Unless the consignments become subject to physical examination, then there are no reasons for customs delays prior to inspection/quotation because no monies are due inbound to Portugal.
Sorry Richard, that’s not right. Since Jan 1st, VAT and customs controls have been introduced between the UK and the EU which didn’t exist before. Unless you make arrangements otherwise, when you ship anything to the EU it’ll be subject to VAT and import duties. Similarly on return. To avoid this for repairs etc, you need either a carnet on each shipment, or you need to setup your company with an Outward Processing arrangement with the tax authorities. It seems many companies use a specialist company to help. It seems Olympus / OMDS haven’t done this yet and people have shipped cameras etc for repair weeks ago which apparently are still in the UK.

Enjoy the new sovereignty!

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Sorry Richard, that’s not right. Since Jan 1st, VAT and customs controls have been introduced between the UK and the EU which didn’t exist before. Unless you make arrangements otherwise, when you ship anything to the EU it’ll be subject to VAT and import duties. Similarly on return. To avoid this for repairs etc, you need either a carnet on each shipment, or you need to setup your company with an Outward Processing arrangement with the tax authorities. It seems many companies use a specialist company to help. It seems Olympus / OMDS haven’t done this yet and people have shipped cameras etc for repair weeks ago which apparently are still in the UK.
Enjoy the new sovereignty!

According to the ‘tracking’ on MyOlympus my lens has still not yet reached the repair facility (11 days on from Despatch)
Anyone from the U.K. considering sending a lens for Warranty or repair should consider whether they need it back promptly / urgently as this will clearly not be the case according to my experience here
Im not actually bothered how long it takes (within reason) but others may be ?

Latest threads

Top Bottom