About to take the plunge and sell dslr....

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Keliza, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Keliza

Keliza New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Oregon
    I have had my Oly Ep2 about 7 months now and find I am rarely using the Canon 5DII and flotilla of lenses, etc. Realized I have upwards of $7000 wrapped up in all that gear and I am going to sell it. I know I will miss the image quality, but 95% of the shots I am currently enjoying are taken with the Ep2. This is a hobby for me and I feel bogged down in "stuff".
    Anyone else take this plunge? Did you eventually buy it all back?

• Like Like x 6
  2. ASA 32

ASA 32 Mu-43 Regular

Karen,

Thanks for your post: I'm having the same questions. I'm using my Panasonic Lumix G cameras almost exclusively now, and leaving the Canon 1D gear in the cabinet. Like you, I've thought of selling it, but what about that 5% of the shots that can only be made with the big gun? And I know that selling it won't create a windfall, but at the same time, the longer I hold on to it, the less its value.

I'd love to hear what others have done or are thinking of doing.

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I have kept my 5D. I see my cameras as complimentary. I do use the Gf1 more, but that's no surprise: it's size allows good quality in a very potable package. It's also fun to use.

I print the photos I like, and for landscapes in particular I appreciate the extra detail of the 5D photographs.

4. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    This is an interesting virus going around.

I too have not picked my K20d for a month or so since I got the G1.
    And, if after Photokina that 12mm lens to announced is under $500.00 or so, I will probably sell my K20d and nice glass to fund a few lenses to complete my G1 kit. I'll get, I hope, a 12mm, 25mm and tele zoom, giving me a 12/17/25 primes and a tele zoom. I might miss the IQ of the K20d.. It is very good, but, I am liking the smaller G1 kit.. and I do have two great M Mount lenses I can use now. Heck, the C-Sonnar 50mm f/1.5 Zeiss is my lens of choice on my G1 right now, even though I have a 17mm native :43: lens.

But, I regress

Maybe it's my age, and I want to carry a full G1 kit that has less than 1/2 the weight of the DSLR full kit -- K20d/16-45/105mm/70-300/Grip --

5. Keliza

Jan 28, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks for weighing in (no pun intended). Have spent the day compiling all my Canon gear, taking pics to post, and adding up the potential intake of funds - could be enough to buy a new Leica M.... and who knows what that would be like. I really do like my Ep2. I know I would miss the big gun, but it isn't like I have to support myself with photography. It is supposed to be fun!

6. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    My wife told me, "If you like it, keep it. If you use it, keep it. If you do not like it, and you do not use it, sell it".

I have a lot of gear that I like, and a lot that I use. I also have some that I make or modify, and often sell. But it was a fun project.

• Like Like x 2
  7. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    What does she know? :rofl::wink::wink:

8. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Quite a few of us have taken the full down-size route. I went from and E-3 and 5 HQ lenses. You lose some speed (both response time wise and lowlight wise) but as you have found use the smaller gear more.

9. nikki

nikki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2010
    dublin ireland
    I sold all my canon gear and was going to get an ep2 but was in Jessops in newry and they had all the mft cameras and got to play with all of them and I decided i reallylike the gf1 or g2 the best . i was surprized because i had done all my reserch on the internet, so i would advise anyone switching to mft to try them all out! i didnt get to try the viewfinder on gf1 but thought the g2 viewfinder was good is there much of a difference.?

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I sold my 5D classic and lenses (about $3-4K worth of stuff) and went strictly m43 since January. I recently bought back a Canon Rebel and a telephoto lens, because I like to shoot long for candids and kids action, and found the AF on the EP1 w/45-200 was too slow and inaccurate.

So, right now I've got a Canon Rebel w/70-210 USM and then an EP1 with the rest (20/1.7, 50mm 2.0 macro, 35mm 1.4 CCTV and kit lens). I also tried the Oly 9-18, but I don't shoot wide enough, but if you like wide, I think it was reasonably comparable to, say my 5D + 17-40 which I used to have.

In short, give it a whirl if you're not using the 5D.

11. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    I'm really close. I don't have anywhere near the same quality stuff. Just a KX and K7. I do have a load of Pentax legacy lenses as well as all the DA Limiteds (which are really great little pancake lenses) and a bunch of Sigmas. The total probably comes to well over $5,000 with all the lenses. I took my K7 out today and just didn't enjoy it. I missed the E-P2.

I just wish they would release more prime lenses. I'm not much into zooms. I was (and to some degree still am considering an Olympus DSLR), but the seem to mostly have zooms. I'll probably hold off until next year on that because it would probably sit on the shelf like the Pentax's.

I figure I'll give myself one more month to see how it goes. I'll probably keep all the K mounts lenses though since I have an adapter.

It's really an addictive camera. I print and quite frankly I just can't see the image quality difference. I print on Red River paper, either 13 x 19 or 11 x 17. Now there may be a difference with the Canon, but I can't see one with the Pentax.

12. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    If that was my wife I'd still be married!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

13. Keliza

Jan 28, 2010
    Oregon
    If you like it, keep it....

So, the big plans to sell all the DSLR gear went great until the 5D2 and 85 1.8 were the only things left. I withdrew the sale of those to hold on to them for just a few more months..... because I really do like them. And, when the cooper hawk landed on a branch outside our kitchen window and proceeded to eat a small bird, I grabbed the 5d2. The EP2 is the camera I take everywhere, tho. Problem is, I might like the Leica X1, the G2, the M8, etc.

The advice to go in to a camera store and handle the cameras is a very good one. That assumes one has a camera store that carries the brands other than Nikon and Canon. I was very surprised at the weight of the M9 and the lightness of the G2. I would like to have someone ship me all the "serious compacts" and let me try them out for a few weeks - then I might be able to choose.

14. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Yes, there is a big resolution difference between the G2 EVF and the optional GF1 LVF1. The GF1 basically shares the same EVF as the budget G10. The resolution is 202k pixels, compared to the 1.44 million pixels in the G2, G1, GH1, and Olympus VF-2 add-ons. By comparison, it looks noticeably lower quality. That however, does not mean it isn't usable. It might not be the best for fine manual focus zooming, but it will still help you frame and compose your subject at times when the LCD may be unusable, or when you just need that little bit of face stabilization.

• Like Like x 2
  15. sheygetz

sheygetz Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    How about the shop w/ the river in it? I ususally order their Warehouse returns, because a) here in D the return period is 30 days over 14 for new stuff and b) I do not "feel bad" about ordering several items knowing I'll only keep one. I don't think they do Leica though. I tried a G1 last year, which I didn't like at all. I returned it inside the 30 days and got my money w/o any fuss.

16. kwaphoto

kwaphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Colorado, USA
    Yes, the m4/3 cameras are addicting. I find that my E-3 and E-1 are very lonely. I took the E-3 out to a rainy day shoot at the air field about 2 months ago. I also "made" myself use it for some photos of my son, just because it was neglected. Other than that, my GF-1 + 20 f/1.7 has seen at least 90% of the work.

I used to be able to shoot with the E-3 all day long. However, by the end of my 2 hours at the air field, my right hand was sore and my arms a bit fatigued vs. the GF-1. Hmmm....even my little Canon G11 is neglected now.

I still have the DSLR's, it tough letting them go after shooting DSLR almost exclusively since 2002 and then SLR's previous to that. But I have a strong feeling it will happen. I think I'd hang on to the E-1 + 14-54 just for sentimental reasons and they are classics. Probably send the E-1 in to be refurbished too :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. petert210

petert210 New to Mu-43

Aug 16, 2010
    I have the same dilemma and contemplate selling my D90 body but keep all the lens. After all the body and sensor technology changes more often than the lens. May be CaNikon will come up with a mirrorless camera that could compete in size and IQ of the MFT. As for now, I can still use my lens on the MFT body like EP-x or G-x.

18. Blu-by-u

Blu-by-u Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Same dilemma. I have not touched my E-30 for almost 3 months since getting that E-PL1. Should I let it go or should I keep it? I still have my old E-330 for those fast action which the E-PL1 would not be able to handle (or will it?)

19. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    It doesn't make sense keeping DSLR bodies which sit at home 90+% of the time... however, if you have classic lenses (I have a lot of HG/SHG lenses for 4/3rds) then it's worth holding on to them see the next generation of 4/3rds bodies... The lenses have always been far in advance of the sensor IQ.

Cheers

Brian

20. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    I thought about selling my Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 lens three times before I actually did sell it. I just wasn't using it, and it was the best lens that I had ever owned. My giving up my Nikon equipment really hurt. But it isn't about the equipment, it is about the photos that we take. I just purchased the 45-200mm lens to fill my kit for the GF1. I have not even downloaded the files, but its focal length seems about right for what I needed. I doubt that I will ever use it with out the tripod, and that was the plan when I bought it. So its all gone now. My oldest son asked me if it was alright to sell the D100 I gave him a few years back. He wanted to go smaller and is looking at the m 4/3 format. My youngest son likes my D200 and is learning about photography using that camera. No sense having something that we never use. Still it does seem strange not having all that stuff in my almost empty camera bag.
    photosbypike