1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

About to pick up a 20mm f/1.7 tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Kelton, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Kelton

Kelton Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Hey guys,

So I'm about to pick up the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 from a local seller here in San Diego for $300. That seems like a fair price. Is there anything I should look for when inspecting the lens? Any tips for a new user? It'll be used along with my E-PM1.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    Congrats!

Just go out and shoot and enjoy your new lens.
    For sure this lens will give you many keepers. :)

3. bragur

bragur Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 16, 2012
    Do you mean a new or a used lens?

If it's used, just the usual suspects, scratches on lenses and fungus (highly unlikely). I have no idea how to inspect the focus ring on m43 lenses though, I guess that has to be done on camera, check for play or strange feel or something like that I guess. It's a relatively new lens anyways, shouldn't be damaged from age.

Have fun!

4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Congrats Kelton!

Other than what's already been mentioned, if you have a laptop, take it with you as well. Take a few photos with the new lens. Upload it into your computer, and make sure that the mechanical aspects of the lens are working as well by looking at the image quality. You can also verify if there is dust or fungus by stopping the lens down a shooting against a light colored wall. Look for spots. If you see something, make sure it's not from your camera too (as opposed to the lens). :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Take a torch - shine the beam through the lens and that should show up anything bad (well it usually does for old legacy lenses) - seems to work better than just holding the lens up to a bright light (or if you go at night a household light bulb is not always bright enough). A new (as in recent) lens like this should not have dust or fungus or anything though and hopefully no scratches or cleaning marks. Then check again by testing it on your camera as posted above - but as Armanius says make sure anything seen is not from your camera (eg dust/dirt on the sensor etc) rather than a lens issue.

6. Kelton

Kelton Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    San Diego, CA
  7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    looks to be in good condition. Take the flashlight and shine it in at an angle from behind while looking through the other side - that'll highlight anything internally. Take a long your camera to test that it is working! If I recall correctly, if you shine a light into the lens while the camera is on that should activate the aperture as well (though you could check it with a longer manual exposure as well). As was said check the focus ring for smoothness, other than that you're set. A laptop would be alright too to check the files, but if everything is functioning I don't think it would be 100% necessary (imho!).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kelton

Kelton Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    The seller sold to someone else... This sucks hahah. He said he'd meet up today at 6. Oh well, I'll just keep looking.

9. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    There's a guy on the Bay with new ones for around $379.00 USD.
    Not a bad price considering its new and he's an authorized dealer....
    Ken****camera...

10. Kelton

Kelton Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I found a local camera shop that has it brand new for $339.95...

EDIT: Just kidding, the camera shop called me back and told me they misread the price and its actually $399.95... ASKJLHDASHDADa

I'm trying to find something below $350. Thank you though.

11. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

Good luck, i went with a new one on ebay for 360 (shipping included), i know tehres a small risk but the guy had a great rep (several 1000) and over 99%, so i went with it. GREATEST DECISION EVER. 350 was the lowest it was going for new. People have been shelling out 400 for it now. I dont know what the prices are at these days.

12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Pretty amazing how the supply and demand of th 20/1.7 fluctuates. Three years after its release, it's still the most popular lens (my guesstimation).

13. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Wow...I'm slightly tempted to list my 20/1.7 on eBay just to see how much of the 25/1.4 price I could get...

14. Kelton

Kelton Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Or you could play nice and help a fellow forum member out :biggrin:

15. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    I often wonder the same...

I also often wonder if Panny will ever make a mk2 version with an updated AF motor design, but keeping the optics the way they are.

16. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I don't see Pany making an update. With the 20 still selling like hotcakes, they probably figure that if anyone wants something better, they'll upgrade to the PL25. If Pany makes a Mk2, the price point might get too close to the PL25's price point.

On the other hand, Pany's pricing strategy for their cameras is pretty odd too. So anything can happen! :)

17. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    That would be good. Because, as nice as the lens is, the AF is rubbish.

18. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

You have me thinking though that a different size panny would be ideal, that would be my only other purchase. Something like a 50 mm panny. IT EXISTS!

19. Kelton

Kelton Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    So here's the update guys, I ordered a brand new 20mm from J&R. I called the rep to see when they would have them in stock again and he said April 30th. So anyone else that wants one out there, it's at J&R for $339!

20. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Not quite as good as the rest, but not rubbish !
    As long as you are aware of its limitations it's ok.