About to join the m4/3 family and just saying hello

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Arcsylver, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Arcsylver

Arcsylver New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Hello everyone,

I have decided I am going to switch to m4/3 with a future purchase of an OMD EM-1 with pro lens. I am not a total mirrorless newbie but sadly I think my initial dip into the mirrorless world has been derailed by canon failing miserably with the M line of cameras.

I switched to the M in hopes it would provide me an excellent little camera to further my photography and it has heed but the camera lacks far to much in features for my liking and the EM-1 fits my needs perfectly for current and future uses.

I primarily shoot stills, portraits and landscapes with little action shooting but I find myself often caught in bad rain and snow here in Chicago so I really like the weather sealing of the EM-1 and look forward to picking one up once my budget allows.

I have been very impressed with the images posted here and on the web from the Olympus line of m4/3 cameras and can't wait to join the fold. I am fully convinced that mirrorless is the future of photography and love the smaller form factor and features offered on the various bodies.

Looking forward to learning more here and eventually posting pics once I get my Oly.

• Like Like x 2
  2. pasisti

pasisti Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    Welcome to the world of smaller cameras! :)

For you this might not be any news, but just in case someone without the knowledge is reading this: remember that for weather sealing you also need a lens that is weather sealed (many aren't).

I'm actually just now on my way to get an E-P5. Got tired of not having the "wheels" or whatever the dials are called that my old E-PL3 doesn't have. Yes, I'm not that familiar with the terminology ;)

3. Arcsylver

Arcsylver New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Yes, I am looking to save up and get the 12-40mm PRO lens with the EM-1 to ensure proper weather sealing with my first lens. I am also looking forward to many of the excellent prime lenses even though they don't currently offer any with weather sealing.

4. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I have been drenched with rain with the E-M1 and the 12-40, with no ill effects.
    You will love it, I am getting excellent results.

5. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    Welcome and congratulations on your new purchase!

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Welcome. We need more Chicago pictures. Vivian Maier can't do it all herself, especially since she's dead.

7. chicago8c

chicago8c Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2014
    Weather sealing is a big help in Chicago - I got nailed in the rain last Wednesday night while out at 31st St. Beach, but with no ill effects (EM1+ 12-40/2.8).
    14454310372_d82000f8c4_b.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Galengwath

Galengwath Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2013
    I have also had my E-M1 and 12-40mm drenched in sudden rain, and it was wonderful to have a camera that can handle it. I don't think you'll be dissapointed - it's a very fine camera.

9. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Welcome! I think you will be satisfied with the iq of 12-40. Oly 60mm f2.8 macro is also weather sealed.

10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome aboard!

11. Arcsylver

Arcsylver New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Oh! thanks for the heads up on that!.. Will add that one to the short list once I can afford the camera !

I am up on the north end of town and do most of my shooting on my commute home from work. Though I try to regularly get out and do photo walks when I can, weather permitting. Once I get the new setup I am looking forward to rain not meaning I have to put away the camera. Not worried about me getting wet.

12. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    You should try Glasgow for wet weather. I like it though - it keeps the place nice and green.

I tried Olympus m4/3 once with an E-PM1 but didn't get along with the menu system but hey, Panasonic is da bizness IMO.

Welcome aboard! :thumbup:

13. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    I believe all the new Olympus PRO line of lenses will be weather-sealed i.e.7-14/2.8, 40-150/2.8 and 300/4. You can literally rinse the camera and lens under a running tap in the kitchen sink. I have done that - after a shoot in the desert, to rinse off the dirt and fine sand.

My friends used to tease me when I shot with the E-M5 and 45/1.8 lens. They called it a Nancy-boy camera! The E-M1 and 12-40 lens certainly don't look like a Nancy-boy setup. Yup, the OM-D E-M1 has grown hair on its chest. It's still relatively small but brimming with lots of testosterone.

14. diableri

diableri Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2014
    Central CA
    Come on in, water's fine! :smile:

15. Arcsylver

Arcsylver New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    At the risk of getting yelled at for exhuming a necro thread, I figured I would give those who responded an update after so long.

I finally was able to purchase my Micro 4/3 camera. I wound up with the OM-D EM 5 Elite. Still saving up for more lines. K have the 14-42 kit lens at the moment and I hope to pick up the 12-50 EZ for the weather sealing until I can scrounge up the cash to start getting the PRO lenses. But so many delicious Primes to be had before those pro lenses....*drools*. I primarily take photos of flowers and similar close subjects and wide angle shots like sunrises so those primes are an absolute must for me to get.

Here is the first image I took with the new member of the family.

P1010018.

• Like Like x 4
  16. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    Nice shot, welcome.

You might want to take a look at the Oly 14-150 as a good walkabout weather sealed lens for your E-M5. I picked up a refurbished one when on sale at the Olympus outlet site about a month ago. Really surprisingly sharp and compact lens, for an easy price. Great lens for the street. Check out the examples in the native lens image area of this site.