1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

About to buy Olympus E-P3 - Black, Silver or White?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by AlexUKinMalaysia, Jan 30, 2015.

1. AlexUKinMalaysia

AlexUKinMalaysia New to Mu-43

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi,
    An online shop in Malaysia is flogging off new Olympus E-P3s for a price I just can't pass up.. But what colour to buy?

I currently have an Olympus e-p1 in silver which I love.
    I also have a Panasonic G3 which, while in some ways (resolution, iso) is better than even a new E-P3, just feels plasticky and looks boring, plus I just can't get the right colour balance sometimes (slightly blue-ish faces just don't look great). So I'm hoping the E-P3 will bring a lot of joy before I can pick up an E-P5 at a lower price in a couple of years (hopefully..).

I have black lenses: Pana-Leica 25mm f1.4 and the Panasonic 12-32mm (both wonderful).

When I saw the silver in the shop it looked just too silvery, especially the black plate. I know they don't look quite as prestigious as the e-p1/2 and e-p5 in some ways, but I want to know, does the silver dull a bit over time, and away from those dreadful shop lights? I don't want it to look like a Christmas decoration!

I'm tempted by the white model too-- what's it like to live with?

Black - is it not just boring?? or really the best option?

Thanks!

2. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    To my eyes the silver looks just fine ;)

20130223-20130223-_2238832-Small.

3. AlexUKinMalaysia

Jan 30, 2015
    Wow, looks great :) Especially the strap too. Better get something like that!

4. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    The E-P3 is a great camera. You can get an awesome classic look if you buy the silver camera and put a black skin on it. I got a skin from Aki-Asahi.com and it was beautiful and got admiration from friends and strangers alike. The silver and black combination makes the camera a perfect match for both silver and black lenses. Some of Aki-Asahi's other colors look cool, too, if you want a more distinctive look.

PC030027a.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AlexUKinMalaysia

Jan 30, 2015
    Thanks, I agree, the silver and black thing together is great. Probably my favourite option right now..

6. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    Silver, currently with the red skin. It makes a very friendly statement. My 17/1.8 and 45/1.8 are both silver, so they work well wit the silver and red body.

I had a black skin until the copy-cat E-P5 was introduced. The navy and burgundy skins also look quite classy with the silver body.

As well as making the E-P3 look better, the skins also improve the feel - the bare metal just feels too slick for my taste.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AlexUKinMalaysia

Jan 30, 2015
    Interesting ideas, thx

The reason I think this is important is because when I take pictures of people, they have a different reaction depending on the look of the camera. The silver e-p1 makes people want to have their picture taken, and it's interesting and non-threatening. The reaction is a little better than from the small blobby plastic Panasonic g3. It's interesting that people who know absolutely nothing about cameras identify with the classic silver e-p1 look.

8. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    Then buy a Black one
    Every one knows that black camera take better pictures of people

( sorry could not resist ) LOL

9. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    I attached my 12 to the E-P3 as the OP has black lenses.

It looks better in RL, but this should give a general idea of the effect.
    16216828817_47ddee8bb5_z.
    (I'll have to sneak back later with a better image)

• Like Like x 2
  10. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    And that grip above is a must have for the ep3. Cost a bit, but its soo worth it. Great camera btw. Didnt like the shutter siund though. Sounds like it brakes apart:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Mu-43 mobile app

11. AlexUKinMalaysia

Jan 30, 2015
    Ya I like the grip, will buy one if I can get hold of it here.
    Warming towards silver body with black skin as an option.

E-p3 should be a great compliment to the 25mm f1.4 and 12-32mm. I also have the Olympus 17mm f2.8 but the flare is often a problem, .. One day the 17mm f1.8 will be mine! (Kit e-p5 with 17mm - hoping Oly discount these kits maybe next year)

12. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Why not EP5? Prices are around $400 now and it's so much better camera with.. well, I guess you know all differences.
    I have new EP5 body and couple accessories here in Buy & Sell section.

13. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    +1

14. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    My personal preference is with the Silver, but if you find it too silvery you can always do what has previously been shown, get a leather/leatherette skin. At the same time I don't think all black is boring, it's sleek, it's pretty, and looks good! I just have a personal preference for Silver because all through my photographic life I have used silver cameras from film to digital. I love that retro look!

15. AlexUKinMalaysia

Jan 30, 2015
    @fransglans - I'll get the larger grip if I can find a shop here with it here at the right price. All the eBay sellers want 40usd!! 20usd in USA from bhphotovideo.

@richardb - thx for the photo of silver e-p3 with black leatherette, I think that's sold it for me :)

16. AlexUKinMalaysia

Jan 30, 2015
    @fransglans - I'll get the larger grip if I can find a shop here with it at the right price. All the eBay sellers want 40usd!! 20usd in USA from bhphotovideo.

@richardb - thx for the photo of the silver e-p1 with black leatherette, I think that's sold it for me :)

17. AlexUKinMalaysia

Jan 30, 2015
    Prices in Malaysia:

Olympus e-p5 with 17mm f1.8: 680 USD
    Olympus e-p5 body only: 520 USD
    Olympus e-p3 with 14-42mm: 190 USD

Price premium for that new 16mp sensor is remaining stubbornly high!

I guess after 18 months I could buy the e-p5 and still have the e-p3 for the same overall cost. Hmm it's hard to justify economising with camera stuff!

18. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Great price! An E-P3 in the US costs more than twice that much, if you can find one.

19. AlexUKinMalaysia

Jan 30, 2015
    I know, the price is crazy! I think this is the final clear out of slow moving stock. My gain!

A bit of a weird purchase in 2015 to be buying an Olympus 12mp camera.. But I think I'm a bit nostalgic for that 12mp sensor, and I want the best (smallish) camera made with th! My history of cameras is Oly e-510, Pana g3 (a quantum leap forwards), back again to e-p1, and now e-p3.

I'm a bit meh over the Panasonic g3 - the sensor can sometimes have incredible ability - great highlights and no burning out, even at high ISO. I love over-exposing a little and seeing beautiful highlights. But the problem with colour especially on skin tones shows that the sensor isn't everything. I need Olympus!