About the " worst lens ever made ".....

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by BAKatz, Sep 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    so, a while back I picked up the Oly LensCap. I liked that it added no depth to the camera, and thought it would be good for some street shooting , which I believe it is , but I'd rather use my Trip 35. I also thought I could use it with my telescope. Eh, not really. Sort of, kind of, but nothing great. Well, it does have one redeeming value. It works great at night on long exposures. Well, I say great, you may say very good ( or not ). If you have one, try it. See what you come up with.

image.

• Like Like x 10
  2. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Slight correction: worst lens "ever tested" ;) But actually, I generally agree - and I sure like your shot. I still pull out the BCL15 occasionally, and while it's certainly not great, it's usable - in fact, I own a couple lenses that would certainly test worse, were they ever considered for testing (like the CCD-TV lenses I got - one flares like hell, one vignettes to the point of embarassment, the third can't focus to infinity ...). One thing about the BCL15: It actually pays to focus - the hyperfocal distance doesn't go to infinity. I like to use the punch-in magnification on the GF1 for this for ease of use - focus peaking will help you even further along to get the most out of this clearly limited tool ...

M.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Leighgion

Leighgion Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2012
    Madrid, Spain
    Leigh L Pang
    Limited, yes, but worst? Not even close! I really need to get mine out on the street again.

4. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    So what do you consider the worst ? The Holga for Mu4/3 lens ?
    ok, I admit it, I own that one too. :crying:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    In fairness Olympus lists this in the camera accessories section of their site not the lenses section. Is this a lens?

• Like Like x 1
  6. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    BCL = Body Cap Lens. It's both :) More to the point, it's definitely useful because it's body-cap sized, and the lens part is usable. At this size and price, it should be compared to toy lenses - and it does beat most of those even though most of them are a bit faster (excepting the Holga lens here ;)).

That said, I don't pack it for travel (or even EDC) in spite of its size - it's a fun lens, but I don't miss it if I don't have it. Not when I have lenses like the 20mm and 12-32mm available; both are not an awful lot bigger, but worlds better.

M.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    I keep it in my bag when I travel, but only because A) it doesn't take up any space, and B) I need a body cap anyway. If we are on a ship, it's good for just keeping in my pocket or on my table. It's unobtrusive and no one knows I'm shooting them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Which BLC are we really talking about here the 9 or the 15? I have the 9 and cannot believe how good it is for what it is. I've never had the pleasure of using the 15 - already had that focal length covered at the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

The Pinwide is pretty bad... But that's sorta the whole point...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Leighgion

Leighgion Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2012
    Madrid, Spain
    Leigh L Pang
    My notion of "bad" appears very different than most folk on this thread.

Just being optically less perfect doesn't equate to "bad" for me long as the lens isn't billed as being finer crafted than it is. I suppose I see lenses a bit like I see movies: quality is relative to what it aspired to be in the first place.

The 15mm BCL, my adapted CCTV lense and Pinwide (yep, I got one) aren't "bad" to me long as they deliver what is reasonable to expect of them, and they do in my experience.

Honestly at the moment, the only lens I'm feeling as "bad" is the Olympus kit lens just because it's disappointed me so much even compared to kit lenses in other formats.

11. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    Damn, I forgot about the Pinwide. Yeah I have that one too. My biggest issue with that one is, for a pinhole lens, it's too perfect. There's no, grain. No fuzziness. I bought generic body caps and made my own.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    The "worst lens ever tested" by DxOMark means the BCL15 - I'm not even sure if they already tested the BCL9 but I doubt it.

I hear and read quite a lot of good things about the BCL9 - but I have that purpose covered with the Samyang 7.5mm fish-eye.

M.

• Like Like x 1
  13. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

I was aiming the pinwide comment at the people that shitcan the BCL15 because of its fixed max aperture... They had the pitchforks out because they couldn't use it for low-light sports photography... :dash2:

So it only stands to reason that the pinwide (with its aperture somewhere between f/96 and f/128) is the worstest lens EVA! :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Leighgion

Leighgion Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2012
    Madrid, Spain
    Leigh L Pang
    Fast zooms used for sports are steady f/2.8 while the BCL is fixed f/8. Only three stops difference. Slow down the shutter by three stops, embrace motion blur and bang, night sports problem solved! :dance3:

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Then my 500/8 mirror lens should be even better!

Re the BCLs, I have the 9mm FE; it is very useful, and while probably not terribly sharp I wouldn't call it obviously soft, and it does not exhibit bizarre effects that other 'toy' lenses are known for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I always thought the 15mm BCL was "meh" considering is was a focal length we all usually have with us anyway. I did pick up the 9mm fisheye BCL and that one is fun to use. I do have an actual fisheye lens, the Peleng 8mm 3.5, but it is a heavy metal and glass beast of a lens so I don't usually carry it around with me if I am not specifically planning on using it and especially not when traveling/vacation. So the 9mm fisheye BCL offers something you can keep with your kit at all times with negligible size & weight addition and will offer a different look than the other lenses you likely are already carrying.

17. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I just never got the point of the 15mm BCL. I'd wager any decent phone would beat it by a mile in just about any photo comparison you can think of.

The 9mm is a whole lot of fun, though, and definitely gives something unique for the $$.

18. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    Same for me on both points. I do have the 15mm as the shop threw it in with a body at a very low price, but I have never really got into the habit of using it, and I think as you say the problem is that the focal length is about the same as my mobile phone. But the 9mm has given me a huge amount of enjoyment and it is so compact that I carry it nearly every time I go out with a camera.

19. Leighgion

Leighgion Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2012
    Madrid, Spain
    Leigh L Pang
    OK, I tried the 15mm BCL again yesterday and I have to admit, it's worse than I remembered. My first shots with that lens were in bright sun and worked well, but in shady evening? Not so much.

20. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    Evenings you have to shoot a long exposure. Nights, even longer.

• Agree Agree x 1