About the new OM-D.

wolfie

Mu-43 All-Pro
There will be a new port that is unused upon release. But in a year or two, and a firmware update, it will be where you plug in the cerebral bridge. You think it, the camera does it, in nanoseconds*.

*Delicate neurosurgical implant required.

PS. This is a result of the decades of medical imaging combining with consumer electronics.

A patented implant developed by Olympus Medical Imaging and available only to fanboys (and fangirls)

beameup

Mu-43 Regular
How about eye-directed focusing (or whatever they called it back in the '80s).
I believe they could also add a "joy stick" (from Nikon, I believe).

jdcope

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jon

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If its very expensive, I hope they update their unbelievably stupid way of updating firmware.
I like the way they update the firmware. It saves the settings which is helpful. It is easy to use and doesn't rely on complicated instructions or SD cards.

jdcope

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jon
I like the way they update the firmware. It saves the settings which is helpful. It is easy to use and doesn't rely on complicated instructions or SD cards.

At least with an SD card you can't brick your hardware. I have already lost one lens due to a "communication problem."

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
At least with an SD card you can't brick your hardware. I have already lost one lens due to a "communication problem."
There is no difference, you can still brick a lens. The communication issue to the lens that bricks it will still brick the lens. The only reason you don't get reports of this is that it is infrequent and only a very small percentage of users use the SD method.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It will make the current OMD E-M1 II cheaper. :)

I think it has already dropped to what it may reside at, now at $1,699 on the B&H Photo website. Lot cheaper than the $1,999 I paid for it last year. :crying:

They might be trying to get the new one in a more tempting sweet spot for the GAS'ers, maybe <$2,000 but likely less than $2,500 -- maybe. Unless they go after the Leica model and call it $7,995 like their Leica M-10-D. :rofl:
Heck, why not just call it an even $8,000 and give Leica a run for the money since it's their 100th anniversary model. Hand assembled. Gold plated. Military spec'd. :hiding:

Xx123456xX

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jake
It’s going to drop optical lenses in favor of gravitational lenses, where focal length, aperture and depth of field are determined by how the lens bends spacetime.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Advanced features do not sell camera bodies. If so, the E-M1 II would have killed anything from Nikon and Canon.

Feature lists do not trump higher signal to noise ratio and wider dynamic range.

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
Advanced features do not sell camera bodies. If so, the E-M1 II would have killed anything from Nikon and Canon.

Feature lists do not trump higher signal to noise ratio and wider dynamic range.

I would argue that five white letters on the front of the body sells a camera just as much as anything.

jdcope

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jon
There is no difference, you can still brick a lens. The communication issue to the lens that bricks it will still brick the lens. The only reason you don't get reports of this is that it is infrequent and only a very small percentage of users use the SD method.

I have never heard of a Panasonic user bricking anything during an SD card firmware update. The SD card method removes more areas where communication to the camera can fail. The USB port, the cable, the internet, and your computer itself are all removed from the chain during an update. Using an SD card is just a superior way to do it.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have never heard of a Panasonic user bricking anything during an SD card firmware update. The SD card method removes more areas where communication to the camera can fail. The USB port, the cable, the internet, and your computer itself are all removed from the chain during an update. Using an SD card is just a superior way to do it.
No. The way an update works is that it sends the data to the camera. Only when it is all there does the update take place. This removes all the things you list above from being risk factors.
With the SD card method, the SD card and the SD card port are risk factors - although they are very reliable.
With both methods there are several risks:
1. Power failure (flat battery).
2. User error. The user turns off the camera during the upgrade, or otherwise touches the camera, such as removing the lens.
3. Hardware problem in the camera or lens, including bad connection between camera and lens.

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Joel
How about a curved sensor to minimize distortion. Extra points for variable curvature for zoom.

Not sure if you are joking or serious, but there are a bunch of advantages to a curved sensor.

I have no idea if it would require a whole new set of lenses.

wolfie

Mu-43 All-Pro
According to 43rumors, Olympus have scheduled their big announcement for May 2019 ... so let's not get too hasty here!

Latest threads

Top Bottom