1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

About the new OM-D.

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Mack, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2018
  2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Yes! Another speculation thread. What we all wanted and needed!!!!

I'm going with a new 24MP sensor, hand held HiRes with an output of 80+MP, computational photography when combined with f/1.2 primes gets images with f/0.95 FF equivalent DOF, 60 FPS stills - essentially video frames at full sensor resolution, new 3D AF processing allows AF to follow chosen subjects throughout the field of view, even as they move and spin in frame, square sensor (17.3mm) for unlimited aspect ratios without moving camera, IBIS with 2mm travel in 4 dimensions and instant response capable of handheld shots over 10 seconds, Live Composite at any SS; all in a package slightly larger than the E-M5ii.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Wow Wow x 2
  3. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    That is exactly what my guess was going to be with one exception. My cousins ex-wife’s brother in laws sons girlfriend works for Olympus and she told me it would also have eye control focusing for both SAF and CAF. when I’m CAF you will be able to override tracking if it loses the subject through eye control

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  4. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Dang... I forgot about the eye tracking AF (the camera tracks your eye to know where it should focus.)

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    Yep and I hear it works better than any system out there for tracking

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

I think they are finally going to go with the double viewfinder. Who wants to compose with just one eye?

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    There will be a new port that is unused upon release. But in a year or two, and a firmware update, it will be where you plug in the cerebral bridge. You think it, the camera does it, in nanoseconds*.

*Delicate neurosurgical implant required.

PS. This is a result of the decades of medical imaging combining with consumer electronics.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2018
    hmmm... Thinking about that 3D.

Given the E1M2 has the "Different from all others" 25 independent auto-focus tuning areas (And 50 with a zoom lens.), wonder if their "Over-the-Top" focus tuning could be applied to make the sensor a tilt-shift lens, but just using the sensor instead?

Example: Shooting something at an oblique angle where the sensor angles itself to make the entire frame sharp? Might condense the focus-stacking a bit too.

I'd bet they have something up their sleeve though that no one else has. No doubt Sony will steal, er adopt it, to to their FF in a couple of years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Kind of like Keystone Composition, a feature that is already in existing Olympus cameras?

10. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

In all seriousness, I struggle to think of something the E-M1 mk2 lacks. Barring a leap in sensor technology, I'm not sure why they'd upgrade it yet.

E-M5 II could use an update to get some E-M1 II updated tech (like the new sensor and 4K)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mountain

Mountain Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. cnyap

cnyap Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2015
    Global shutter would be fantastic. More resolution and/or better IQ at 20MP (BSI type sensor or something totally new). Handheld high res mode. 8k video? (who cares, but maybe) Or better 4k video. Super high frame rate video (super slow motion) would be a lot of fun.

13. morphodone

morphodone Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Mar 27, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2018
    Well bah! Just read about that Keystone thing on pages 226-228 in the Darrell Young book on the E-M1 Mark II. I'm only on page 80 of that 600+ page manual. :dash2:

15. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's intriguing for sure. I personally hope for a new sensor that improves DR and noise. Anything else a bonus. I'll be really disappointed if it adds a bunch of features that could be delivered via firmware in the E-M1ii. Remember all those half-promises of adding lots of new features in firmware updates? So far all we've really had is something to make the CAF get close to the launch hype.

16. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've never found any of these sort of books useful. Maybe they would make good door stops?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I just can't see how they could increase the resolution of the sensor by 20%, and deliver significantly better noise performance at the same time. When the E-M1 II was launched, it had a 25% increase in resolution (up to 20 fro m16), and while the noise performance did improve somewhat, it was pretty marginal.

The only real way to get better noise performance is through a less pixel-dense sensor, or computational photography.

As far as FW feature upgrades, comparing the E-M1 II to the E-M1 there certainly have been less. However, what features are out there that aren't already available on the camera? I struggle to think of many, if not any at all. The one feature I wish they would add would be 120fps 1080p video. Fuji managed to do it with their X-T2, a camera that has less computing power than E-M1 II.

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I find it hard to believe that Olympus could make a huge increase in sensor performance, e.g., noise, given that they don't make their own sensors. The wildest thing I can think of that might be true is a radical computational approach that provides, again for example, a noise level similar to FF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    My post above was tongue-in-cheek, but I do see any "advances" that could be released as mostly if not all software and/or processing power related. It is that area that camera companies will have to turn as progression in sensor technology isn't as fast.

Edit: Also, Olympus was the first do develop something like Live Composite. I have been waiting on them to come up with something as innovative and potentially useful since. Maybe they finally have it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  20. .....and NOBODY mentioned Voice Control. Shocking!

• Funny Funny x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.