1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

about the 5axis ibis...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by fransglans, Oct 21, 2014.

1. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    hi. I just wanted to clear one thing out about the ibis from my em5.

I've set my camera to is1, not sure what is2 and 3 is about. But i guess is1 is some kind of default, right?

the thing is, when i use the ibis in video everything feels so stabilized and smooth, just like the camera was floating :) but in camera mode this feeling of support isn't quite there. is this normal?

im not sure if i made my self clear enough here but i just wanted to share my experience with it. any thoughts?

/gus

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm pretty sure the IS only activates when you half-press the shutter, is that when you are talking about?

If it's the same as on my EP1, IS1 is full-axis stabilization while the other two settings only use certain axes.

3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Can be changed in the settings menu to be on continuous or only at 1/2 press. I prefer 1/2 press to conserve power.

For extreme cases with manual focus I switch to continuous but generally still can manage to manually focus with 1/2 press as well.

IS 2 or 3 are for panning (horiz or vert) so only 3 axis instead of 5. Panning diagonally still needs IS1.

4. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    Doe the em5 have the option to see IS in action thru the EVF? I thought that came about in the EM1, but been a while since I used the EM5.. on the em1 I think you have to turn it on in menu, at any rate I can definitely see it working on the EM1, but dont remember noticing it on em5

5. extantpanda

extantpanda Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 23, 2014
    If you set "Half Way Rls with IS" to "On" in the menu (tab C. Release), the IS will engage when you half press the shutter. You will be able to see the effect through both the viewfinder and LCD.

6. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    ok. thanks for the guiding. i've my camera at work so i will dig in the menus in a while.

/g

7. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    mine was set to "off" :)
    that explains things... after having my em5 for 6 months I can now finally see what the fuzz was all about, what a difference! thank u!

8. extantpanda

extantpanda Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 23, 2014
    Yeah the the IBIS is pretty much magic! I love using it in conjunction with the magnified view - it makes getting accurate manual focus so much easier.