About that Panny 14mm 2.5

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by PaulGiz, Apr 7, 2013.

1. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    My big plan to get a full 14/25/45 set of lenses fell through when I broke a tooth. $1300 for a crown. Yikes!!

I did go ahead and get the 14mm as it's the cheapest of the three ($180 on ebay, pulled off a kit). Sunday morning, took a walk with it.

Impressions: FOV -- very nice. Perfect for street, architectural, indoors. Of course there is perspective distortion because of focal length, but you go with it, or correct PP.

CA -- most of the time, not a problem. Heavy backlight, well there it is. For most street stuff, don't care, can be minimized PP.

Focus -- essentially instantaneous, both indoors and out. DOF is large enough so slight focus isn't as critical as you'd think. It's just nice to push the button and take a picture, sometimes that's the only way to get the shot.

Sharpness -- just fine. Not a pixel peeper, no shots I took would be tossed for softness, so, good.

Handling -- I kept reading about how impossibly tiny this lens is. OK, but you know what, it looks right on my E-PL5 and handles beautifully. Makes the camera feel very natural to me (coming from 35mm RF).

Verdict: nice WA lens, small, light, fairly fast, sharp and cheap.

Samples here -- not art, just walking around shots to get used to lens.

https://www.mu-43.com/f80/panasonic-14mm-f-2-5-image-thread-8118/index100.html#post429510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.