1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

About that Panny 14mm 2.5

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by PaulGiz, Apr 7, 2013.

1. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    My big plan to get a full 14/25/45 set of lenses fell through when I broke a tooth. $1300 for a crown. Yikes!!

I did go ahead and get the 14mm as it's the cheapest of the three ($180 on ebay, pulled off a kit). Sunday morning, took a walk with it.

Impressions: FOV -- very nice. Perfect for street, architectural, indoors. Of course there is perspective distortion because of focal length, but you go with it, or correct PP.

CA -- most of the time, not a problem. Heavy backlight, well there it is. For most street stuff, don't care, can be minimized PP.

Focus -- essentially instantaneous, both indoors and out. DOF is large enough so slight focus isn't as critical as you'd think. It's just nice to push the button and take a picture, sometimes that's the only way to get the shot.

Sharpness -- just fine. Not a pixel peeper, no shots I took would be tossed for softness, so, good.

Handling -- I kept reading about how impossibly tiny this lens is. OK, but you know what, it looks right on my E-PL5 and handles beautifully. Makes the camera feel very natural to me (coming from 35mm RF).

Verdict: nice WA lens, small, light, fairly fast, sharp and cheap.

Samples here -- not art, just walking around shots to get used to lens.

https://www.mu-43.com/f80/panasonic-14mm-f-2-5-image-thread-8118/index100.html#post429510