about that HOLGA Lens.....

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by BAKatz, Jun 30, 2011.

1. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    OK....I'll admit it...I'm actually liking this thing.......when i take some worth keeping i'll upload them......works well with the B/W art filter.....$18 well spent...also maintains a narrow profile and weighs nothing.......simplistic but fun....love to see others photos....

• Like Like x 1
  2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Just a heads up, there are other forms of punctuation than ellipses. Just something to keep in mind moving forward. (And I suspect your use of more than three dots is non kosher as well, to be honest.)

3. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    You know I really like mine too.

It's only really possible to use in bright light though, impossible to use in low light and especially indoors. I haven't used it for videos, but ones I've seen- I really like the low-fi quality of them.

I also giggle at the fact that it's entirely made of plastic- lens included. The µ4/3 lens rear caps also don't fit very well, because they thing it slightly flexible plastic :)

What does confuse me: Why the 2 versions, one for Olympus µ4/3 and one for Panasonic µ4/3?

4. So if you own an Olympus and a Panasonic you buy two lenses instead of one!

No seriously, I don't know.

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    never underestimate the stupidity of your customer base.

OK, just kidding....but only a little. It's not even stupidity, really. My wife knows that I have a couple Panasonic cameras. She also knows that they are Lumix branded. She has no need to know that "some" people call them micro 4/3 or m4/3 or that thing that looks like a "u" followed by the fraction four thirds.

I'll buy whichever one is cheaper.

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    This reminds me of an H.L. Menchen quote, "No one in this world has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby."

7. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    Hey PROMIT, do you have anything to say about the lens? or do you just go around correcting grammar, and punctuation ? i ( sorry I ) use that particular symbol to break up my thoughts........see how that works? .....guess what I'm thinking NOW!!!!!

• Like Like x 4
  8. grimloki

grimloki New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2011
    Its endearingly flawed... But I'd rather spend $18 on a CCTV lens with swirly bokeh, or on a russian lens like the Industar 69.

9. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    dude, it's 18 bucks including shipping! I like the term " endearingly flawed" though. Granted it's not a Pany 20, but it doesn't add any weight, and keeps a real slim profile. It's not an everyday lens by any means, but at least I don't have to change the spool every 12 pictures. just sayin'

10. grimloki

grimloki New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2011
    I'm all for cheap lenses! Particularly the ones that are endearingly flawed. I'd take 100 unique lenses at $18 each over one perfect $1800 lens.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ggcadc

ggcadc Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 11, 2011
    Tell me how to get these, I'm intrigued by the swirly bokeh

12. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
  13. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    I was never really thrilled by the images produced by the Holga. To a lot of us it's a modern, not as nice version of an original Diana.

Now if someone got a hold of some 1960's Diana lenses (not the new versions sold by Lomography.com) and adapted those to µ4/3........

That I would pay for.

14. eplutz

eplutz Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    I just got mine in the post yesterday and totally agree that it's nearly impossible to shoot with in low light but when the light is right I'm loving it! Still experimenting but as soon as I get something worth sharing I'll happily do so :)