"About My Switch From Mac To Windows"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by voltcontrol, Jun 12, 2013.

1. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    About My Switch From Mac To Windows by Scott Bourne @ photofocus.com

A very interesting article on switching from MAC to WIN from a 'serious' photography pov. A must read imho.

Key excerpt from the article:
    "This left me with few choices so I did the unthinkable for me."

Read it here.
  2. voltcontrol

Apr 26, 2013
    Another interesting part from the article on Creative Cloud:

"As I considered this switch some other things aligned for me. Adobe came out with Creative Cloud. Yes I know some of you hate it. But here is an example of why it’s such a great deal for me personally and anyone else who finds themselves in my position. Had I switched two years ago to Windows, it would have meant buying all new software for the Windows machine…thousands of dollars down the drain. Since I am a CC user, I simply de-authorized my Mac and re-authorized the Windows machine and POOF! There it is. The Adobe software now lives on the HP Z1 and all is well."
  3. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I was a Mac user for many years and due to software only available for PCs, I switched to my first PC laptop in a decade about4 years ago. It was running vista when new, and I upgraded it to Windows 7 Pro 64 bit after about one year. For the next several years I owned both an Imac and the PC laptop (Acer), an Ipad and a number of iPhones.

I agree with the author that windows7 is stable and a solid platform, but, and there is always a but with windows. The quality control of the hardware platforms that run windows are poor. Cheap prices indicate cheaper quality and you ultimately get what you pay for. Case in point was the Acer laptop that I still own.

It has had a number of LCD issues where the harness continually gets caught or pinched in the laptop hinge and the screen flickers. Each time the repair is around $100. Acer sold this model with both vista and then windows 7. When i did a clean install of windows 7 I was unable to obtain driver downloads from Acer for the laptop when they were manufacturing the same model with windows 7? Crazy stuff.

I then stupidly purchased an Asus laptop and in the first 3 weeks the LCD literally cracked in half whilst I was looking at it. Asus's position was that from 2013 they no longer cover warranty repairs for LCD failures. Luckily I purchased additional insurance and the repair was covered. Asus could not even reply to my written complaints.

This Asus runs windows 8 and is a non touch screen unit. For these types of conventional laptops running a OS that is designed for touch screen applications, windows 8 is a complete failure. Windows 8 on a tablet or phone is a great system, but on a traditional laptop it is a failure. They have removed the start button and one needs to download a free program to reinstall the start menu. The confusion between apps and exe programs is not clearly defined and the average user has little idea how to distinguish the difference.

In the past month my Ipad has died after 4 years of faithful service and I am considering the android alternative. Iphones and Ipads are simply not cost effective when compared with android alternatives and I agree with the author that the quality control of apple products has decreased in the past few years. I had to exchange 3 iphones (4th generation due to screen failures).

I believe it now comes down to preference and durability for any future purchase. Windows 7 is extremely stable, especially the 64 bit version. The 64 bit version also seems to manage the RAM more effectively, and I have never experienced any delays in lightroom or Nik software. I prefer Mac OS still after many years and will most probably switch back to Mac in the future.

Phones and tablets are throw away items and therefore the purchase cost is the driving factor.
  4. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    We have a touch screen Asus laptop with Windows 8. It's great, and the machine has taken plenty of knocks in its stride. I prefer it to my 2012 model Macbook Pro (the beachball machine).
  5. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Great point. Works in a heterogenous production environment as well, and potentailly also enables BYOD. It is somewhat groundbreaking as an enabler and a point of leverage for new ways of doing business.

6. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    He's wrong about this. As long as you had the latest version, Adobe would allow you to switch platforms for the cost of shipping. I don't know if they still do.
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Acer is notorious for poor build quality and multiple problems. Asus, however, generally makes a quality product - although lemons do happen with any company. I usually stick with Toshiba's Tecra line or with Lenovo. No problems with either running Win 7 64 bit. :cool:

8. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I would second Toshiba. HP is usually good QC, but tons of bloatware. Currently had a bad experience with Lenovo. Father in laws HD crashed, bought a new one for him, went to load Win7 code from same machine, LOCKED. Apparently you have to use their recovery disc, or Win7 key is locked from loading on new HD. Don't understand the reasoning on that one...
  9. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    I've certainly entertained the idea of switching. I am totally tied down to Logic for audio work, though. I just can't leave that one behind. The price of new hardware is rough, though, and I am really angry about the death of upgradability with much of the new hardware.
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I switched to Mac in 2007, and have been mostly happy. CLEARLY Apple's innovation has dropped off since Steve died (look! a smaller iPad. Look! a thinner iPhone). I was required to pick up a Win7 64bit machine for work, and it is MUCH nicer than anything from Windows probably since Win95 (putting that OS in the context of it's time).

I actually LIKE Win 8! and some of those nice Dell all-in-one touch panels. Plus, with today's cloud solutions (I'm using dropbox), my data is mostly cross-platform from tablet to mac to windows, so OS is becoming less important.

Having said that, I'm holding out hope for what Jony Ive is going to do on the software side at Apple. I am very interested in the newly announced iOS release, and getting away from the skewmorphic design, into something much cleaner. And some of the eye-candy (see the video Apple - iOS 7 especially at minute 2.30 and following -- just ignore the very pretentious bits at the beginning ;)

So, I agree that Platform choice has become far less critical, but I'm going to give Mr. Ive and Apple some more time, to see if they can get their groove back, to justify their higher prices, like they did in the past.
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    One quick thought, too, and it's an item that still holds me back from Windows -- the author of the article didn't mention loading a virus scan/checker. If all he's doing is photo and creative work, maybe that doesn't matter, but in my experience, and given that I cannot buy dedicated machines, virus checkers are a pain, and eat CPU.

One other note -- both Windows machines and Macs tend to bog down over time, and benefit from a rebuild. I have not run into this with Win7 yet, so maybe it won't have this situation, but I know with WinXP rebuilding a machine for a consumer is a pain in the rear. Mac was much, much easier. Also diagnosing/troubleshooting on the Mac, I found much easier. But about 9 months into my Win7 machine, I haven't had any performance issues, so maybe Windows really is better this go-round.
  12. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
  13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Seems like it really boils down to the fact that he was seriously annoyed at Apple QC issues and felt some amount of angst about Apple without Jobs.

I'm glad he likes his new machine, but I don't see anything terribly instructive in the rest of his post, and frankly I'm more than a little sick of the 'innovation died with Jobs at Apple' meme. I using Macs for most of the 2000-2010 period. Believe me, 'innovation' isn't any slower today than it was then. If anything it's faster, and unhelpfully so. Desktop computing is a mature platform, and much of the 'innovation' being trumpeted is change for the sake of change, driven by marketing. Those of us who use these things as tools appreciate consistency, stability and incremental improvements, not drastic revisions every 18-24 months.

The one thing I am interested about is the claim of significantly higher performance. I'm always looking for more performance, particularly since ACR on Olympus ORFs is 50% slower than on most other file formats. But he doesn't mention which software has benefited from the switch.
  14. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Reading it it just sounds like he's a Jobs fan boy, not an Apple fan boy. And he "jumped" ship because Jobs died. The way he talked about his computer issues showed that he's just been looking for a reason to leave Mac. And all his talk about slow response on his Macs are bunk. Or maybe he was just too much of a fan boy to do that, horrors!, 3rd party upgrades to his Macs. I just only retired my Power Mac from 2001, and only because it was slow and full. But I had upgraded the heck out of it to get it to go that long, and it was worth it. Also, 19 cars since the Mac Pro came out! Why isn't he complaining how horrible QC on cars are then? Yes, as far as Windows goes, 7 64bit is great, and I run it, on my Mac Pro, to play games. And MacBooks have been listed as the best computer to run Windows on for a couple of years now. So I really think he just doesn't know how to use a Mac right.
    That being said, good for him he's happy, and that's what it's all really about. I'm a manager at a computer help forum online, heading up the Mac section. And there have been many times people post asking if they should switch to Mac from Windows. Most times, after asking them some questions of computer use, I tell them to stick with Windows. I've been using Macs since the 1st Macintosh, and have found out that I know more about Macs and how they work than 99% of Apple store employees, but I don't call myself a fan boy. I'm a PC power user that prefers the Apple platform for personal use. And I equally enjoy driving Apple and Microsoft fan boys up the wall.
  15. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    reads as a bit of a click baiting rant to me.

I was confused about his 4100 dollar imac... until I realised he had maxed out everything - including 900 dollars for a 756G SSD and 600 dollars for Apples expensive RAM...plus Applecare... but hey if he has bought 19 new cars since the mac pro last had a major update - lets call that 7 years ago - he obviously has money but an odd insecurity about his purchasing decisions.

I can't quite buy into his premise that Windows machines are 'that' much faster... the fundamental hardware is pretty much the same.

As an exercise I tried to spec up a HP Z1 to something similar to his fully loaded iMac... quickly got to over 6000 dollars... and the video cards seemed to rank lower than the one in the iMac at least on this website

PassMark Software - Video Card Benchmark Charts - Video Card Model List

Each to their own choices... I have probably had as long and as intimate relationship with Apple as Mr Bourne...used them daily since 1986... worked for them 2000-2009.. I really don't recognise his reasons as stated as good reasons to change platform right now

Just my opinion

16. voltcontrol

Apr 26, 2013
    To each their own indeed. I didn't mean to aggravate anyone by posting this here, sorry if I did! I just felt it was an interesting pov with a couple of good (personal) reasons.
  17. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    :cloud-9-039:One of the things I love about this forum is the level of civil discussion. I don't think you aggravated anyone, we just have several people on here with strong opinions. Thankfully they don't feel the need to force them on others. :grouphug: :friends:
  18. voltcontrol

Apr 26, 2013
    Haha, thnx for the comforting words. I have seen less civilised places on the interwebz indeed. I'd say this place has a pretty mature, relaxed and cool audience. ;)
  19. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Awesome. I'm totally stealing this line! Sounds like a nifty blog page title.

This whole cloud business pretty much makes hardware and platform increasingly irrelevant so who does that hurt more - Apple or everyone else. Maybe not.
  20. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    And this is the gentleman who with great fanfare switched from Canon to Nikon, then from Nikon to Olympus, all at great cost in the past few years. A more than checkered past. Controversy drives clicks.