About art filters...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jcdoss, Mar 12, 2011.

1. jcdoss

jcdoss Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    I know they're a bit gimmicky, but I'm kind of looking forward to playing around with them.

How good is the EPL2 in-camera editing system? Can users create their own art filters? If so, can they be uploaded into the camera?

2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Gimmicky ? Thought so before using them, but they are great.

In-camera editing is typically Olympus : once you know how to do it, it's great... but you can bang your head on walls before you understand it ! :biggrin: Take a clean raw picture;

Then, set your camera the way you want (for instance, set it in art filter and select the filter you want), just like you would to take another image.

Play back your image with the '>' button.

click the OK button once and select 'edit raw'
    click ok again to apply current camera settings to the edited raw.
    this will create a new jpeg image with the selcted art filter applied...

You can't create your own filters, and of course you can't upload another filter to the camera;

Hope this helped,

Cheers,

3. The 'grainy film' art filter got me into doing more B&W images, but I mostly find it to be too heavy-handed now and so I just do my own thing. It may have improved on later models but the LCD lag on the old E-P1 with this filter is terrible.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    One limitation of the raw editor is that you can only apply it to a raw file. I was hoping to get the pinhole filter applied to a sepia image. Although I could get the raw re-processed into sepia using raw edit, and I could apply pinhole to the raw image, it was very much either-or.

5. jcdoss

jcdoss Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Can you save more than one set of settings, or do you have to edit each image individually? For example, in Lightroom, I've got several color profiles tuned in. It would be awesome to have something like this in-camera, although I'm not expecting it. It's simple enough in LR.

6. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    You can switch between a pair of settings if the Fn button is set up that way. All the raw editor does is apply the camera's current settings (which would be applied to any new photograph) to an already existing raw file. The raw editor has no options of its own at all; you simply choose the file, apply "raw edit" to it, and you get a new JPEG based on current settings.

7. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    2 Steps

I just got my E-PL1 and this may not be a great answer, but it works. Shoot the RAW image and then apply the pinhole art filter. View the resulting JPEG and click OK, then JPEG Edit. Select the Sephia option and you have a pinhole/sephia direct from camera! Some may not like this method because it involves a JPEG edit, but the purists are probably not using art filters anyway.

Lee

• Like Like x 2
  8. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    You're right - it's one of the few possible combinations I forgot to mention. But you can't do much more. And it's impossible to combine 2 art filters, neither in camera nor with Olympus Raw software (Olympus Viewer 2). The only :43: Olympus body with a bit more versatility is the e-pl2, strictly in-body (OV2 isn't yet able to achieve all combinations the camera can make).

Cheers,

9. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

I also thought the art filters were a gimmick until I tryed them. In some instances they really enhance a photo, and are fun to boot.
    Here is an example. The first is a normal jpeg straight from the E-PL2, the second is the same scene using the "Dramatic Art Filter."

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="Dramatic" /></a>[/IMG]

The first shot is a bit under exposed, but this gives an idea of the change the filter makes.
    John

• Like Like x 1
  10. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    To really see the difference, it would be interesting to apply the filter to a shot that you'd already taken.

11. JustShootMe

JustShootMe Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2011
    Austin TX
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Wow. It has the same sort of punch that overdone HDR images have. I'm wondering how the filter works. It seems to have some contrast masking in there, but the darkening of the clouds goes beyond that. The clouds certainly are dramatic.

13. jcdoss

jcdoss Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    That's quite cool... thanks for posting!

14. bedojo

bedojo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2011
    Oregon

what filter is that?? i cant seem to find it in my jpeg edit menu

• Like Like x 1
  15. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    It seems a little like the Topaz 'adaptive exposure', but smoother than that.
    I hadn't used any of the filters but a friend who had a go with my EPL1 used it and I was surprised by how nice it made the image. I feel it's something I could get in post (although perhaps I couldn't) but it seems to choose a result that is one I might want to stick with.

16. JustShootMe

JustShootMe Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2011
    Austin TX
    Dramatic Tone, my favorite new toy

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostnjboro/5498445714/" title="P1010051 by lostnjboro, on Flickr"> 5498445714_470d794a36_b. "768" height="1024" alt="P1010051" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostnjboro/5535885151/" title="Untitled by lostnjboro, on Flickr"> 5535885151_691824dc4a_b. "683" height="1024" alt="" /></a>

• Like Like x 1
  17. bedojo

bedojo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2011
    Oregon
    I mean where is it located, i cant seem to find it.
    on my e-p1 under art (dial) there is pop art, soft focus, pale&light color, light tone, grainy film, pin hole,
    and when viewing an image on the camera, shot in Aperture priority jpeg, i get jpeg edit> shadow adj, redeye, crop, aspect, b&w, sepia, saturation, something, and e-portrait.

i assume you have a ep1 based on your sig~

haha, i just cant find it :p

18. It won't be on your E-P1, but I assume if you have the latest version of the Olympus Master software it is available for processing of ORF files???

19. bedojo

bedojo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2011
    Oregon
    ah i see :p,
    that stinks :( oh well :D thanks for pointing that out i thought i was going crazy

20. Paul=Beverley uk

Paul=Beverley uk New to Mu-43

Feb 23, 2010
    WOW! so if i use an epl1 and shoot in raw i can convert to the dynamic tone using oly master instead of buying the epl2 just for this filter. Cheers Paul UK