About an LVF1 for the GF1?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Grant, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Today I picked up a DMW-LVF. Everything worked the way I expected it to with one exception. I had the grid on and when I panned the camera quickly the refresh was so slow that the lines of the grid broke up into Red Green Blue lines. This was most pronounce if the camera rotated slightly in relationship to the light path to my eye. Once the pan was over it did behave. I have seen this effect before on cheap video monitors. Is this a normal abnormality with this peace of equipment?
  2. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I haven't seen that happen, but I'll have to try with your steps to see what happens. Sadly, I don't have the LVF-1 with me today.
  3. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

That's odd. I've not experienced that.
  4. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    i just tried it inside my house, and mine does not do what you described.
  5. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    As has been mentioned elsewhere, you can get a G1 body for not too much more than the LVF1. I have the finder and it does what it's supposed to, but I wish I had forseen the drop in the G1 price before I bought it.
  6. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    That's exactly what I did. As much as I like the idea of the GF1, I just feel much more comfortable with a built-in VF. So, I sold the GF1, bought a G1 bundle as a second body to the GH2 (will it ever come? :confused: ). Trying to sell the 14-45 since I have 2 of them now, and then I will never have to buy another camera again and be happy for the rest of my life :wink: Or until the GH4 comes out...

7. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks everyone. I take it that it seems to be a problem with my LVF, therefore I will take it back. I have got along without the LVF for eight months so I am sure I can get along with it even longer. As far as buying a G1 or any other camera I bough into the µ43 system to carry less equipment not more.

Again thanks for the inputs.
  8. dez.w

dez.w New to Mu-43

Dec 10, 2010
    it may be a bit late now but i get the same thing on my newly purchased evf. it seems to happen in low light and it's most noticeable when blinking while gazing left/right and keeping the camera stationary.

did you get a replacement / rectify the problem? (if it even was a problem?..)
  9. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks Dez

I tried it for a few days. The use of the EVF in bright light was a plus but along with my first complaints, the EVF had a colour shift, increased contrast had a refresh lag and seemed too dark in low light. I got a refund and don't miss not having the EVF. If I shot exclusively in bright light I suspect it would have been of some value, but I don't
  10. dez.w

dez.w New to Mu-43

Dec 10, 2010
    makes me wonder why panasonic didn't package the gh1/2 evf as the attachment for the gf1! i've only heard wonders about that guy.

i never had high expectations for the evf so i'd say i am satisfied with it.

note to anyone thinking of purchasing it, don't expect it to be like looking through the viewfinder on a normal dslr. if you do, you'll be disappointed.
  11. squidbrand

squidbrand Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2010
    Hà Nội, Việt Nam
    It stinks, but I'm still very glad I have it. It's a must in bright sunlight, and the tilt is helpful when you're shooting to the side in a discrete way and want to be able to look down into the finder, which is less conspicuous than cocking your head to see the LCD.

With the GF1 successor, I hope they either manage to integrate a better finder into the body with minimal bulge, or just go whole-hog and release a big ol' EVF (Olympus style) that matches the GH2's finder in quality.